New Carb Time, I'm done with the stocker looking for advice

Discussion specific to the 1995 - 2006 KDX200 (H Series) and 1995 - 2005 KDX220R (A Series) models sold in the USA
03MoneyPit

Post by 03MoneyPit »

Looking for advice on which to run, the pwk35 or the pwk 35 air striker, I'm not looking to drop big bucks on the RB setup, I would if I could, but I'm ballin' on a budget. Bike is an 03, fmf gnarly woods, PowerCore silencer, fresh wiseco top end in stock bore, Open air box and twin air filter. I've tweaked the stock carb so many times I'm burnt out, it literally will only run the day I get it going right, the next day its right back to rich. I can find no leaks in the jet block gasket, and its producing enough spooge to make me think its something along the lines of worn needle, seats, or float issues but I can not find anything and I'm don't throwing parts at this carb. RB says the modded Air striker lacks the topend of the OEM and has less than the standard pwk350, but I'm a woods rider so tight, technical terrain keep me in the midrange at the fastest and I need it to lug smoothly instead of wanting to accelerate and being jerky. So, not only am I looking for carb advice I'd also like jetting advice. I ride between 1K and 4K feet in elevation.
ohgood
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Re: New Carb Time, I'm done with the stocker looking for adv

Post by ohgood »

from what i've read the air striker is a better carb than the pwk33 or pwk35.

when my kdx220's pwk33 was in similar condition to yours, i ordered a pwk 35 from jets r us for $175, shipped.

it was jetted 160/60 with 16mm float height (yay!) and I still gained 6 MPG over my old pwk33.

it idles, it roars, it lugs, it rips. friends that heard the bike were impressed with the new sound. when my Gnarly pipe's hanger is re-welded, I will replace the stock pipe that is on it now, rejet for the gnarly, and enjoy VERY good smooth power.

Oh yes, I pull third gear in single track now, where 1st 2nd 3rd was required constant shifting before.
03MoneyPit

Post by 03MoneyPit »

What is your current jetting, might serve as a starting point
ohgood
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by ohgood »

I'm back to using the 160/60 until my gnarly (fmf) is welded and ready to go.

once that is on, I'll start with 150/50 to stay rich and run through every step of the jetting process. I don't mind spending a full Saturday getting it perfect and recoding each step on a note pad.
03MoneyPit

Post by 03MoneyPit »

I ordered every jet from 35 to 50 pilot and 135-250 main. I picked up a new airbox top and gasket, gonna run box topped this go round I think. Been riding in some dusty places and the filter showed it when cleaning it. Repacking my exhaust and tossing in some fresh Boyesen 607's too.
03MoneyPit

Post by 03MoneyPit »

Went with the basic PWK35 btw, hoping it breathes the missing behavior back into my 200H.
ohgood
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by ohgood »

03MoneyPit wrote:I ordered every jet from 35 to 50 pilot and 135-250 main. I picked up a new airbox top and gasket, gonna run box topped this go round I think. Been riding in some dusty places and the filter showed it when cleaning it. Repacking my exhaust and tossing in some fresh Boyesen 607's too.
dannnng ! that's a LOT of jets !

this means absolutely nothing to YOUR SETUP but I ended up with:

gnarly woods pipe + fmf silencer + fresh packing
airbox lid only, stock size hole, snorkle is deleted
clean filter
pwk 35
needle clip 2nd from bottom
152 main, 45 idler, 7/8 turn out from bottomed

my idle was fastest at 2 turns out, so I left the 45 idler jet in it, and adjusted the air screw for best throttle response. yesterday's hard/tight singletrack was flawless, did not stall the bike once, GREAT POWER and smooth as a new born eel.

the carb was the biggest difference, ever.
03MoneyPit

Post by 03MoneyPit »

Finally getting to put it back together today, I'll update as I go.
03MoneyPit

Post by 03MoneyPit »

Okay, Here current setup and current behavior.

03 fresh motor, Brand new pwk35

first trial: 42 Slow/150 main, needle middle, Air screw; ran best @ 1 turn out, freshly packed gnarly woods w pc4 exhaust, airbox de-snorkled.
Behavior: Idles well, hesitation off idle, doesn't want to hit high rpm

Trial 2: 42 Slow/150 Main, needle raised 1 notch, Air screw; ran best @ 1 turn out
Behavior: idles well, less hesitation off idle, a lil more grunt upper midrange

Trial 3: 42 Slow/150 Main, Needle fully raised, Air @ 1.25 turn out
Behavior. Eventually slows till dying, less hesitation than before, again, more grunt mid and upper mid, but now chugs when engine braking and at steady 1/2 throttle

Any ideas to help me out will be appreciated. Bigger pilot and main, lowered needle?
03MoneyPit

Post by 03MoneyPit »

After more tweaking.

48 pilot/160 Main, 1.25 out, middle clip on needle, removed air box lid, is atm running a hint rich but like a beast again. Might drop needle 1/2 or full notch, but for now I'm riding wheelies again and lugging around on my trails!!!!!!!
03MoneyPit

Post by 03MoneyPit »

Once hot, the bike gets less responsive in the mid rpm range from 1/4 to to near WOT, being this is once hot, I'm rich on the needle right?