KDX stalls in first

Discussion specific to the 1995 - 2006 KDX200 (H Series) and 1995 - 2005 KDX220R (A Series) models sold in the USA
Oscar N

KDX stalls in first

Post by Oscar N »

Hi guys, my kdx idles fine in neutral but when i put it into first with the clutch in it dies unless I keep the revs up with the throttle. I've had a look around and as far as i can tell I might have to replace the clutch basket but I'm not sure. Also I'm not sure if this is normal or if it matters but I've noticed that when I'm in neutral and the clutch lever is out it makes a weird knocking noise, when I pull the clutch lever in the noise goes away. Any ideas on what it could be? Thanks
diymirage
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Re: KDX stalls in first

Post by diymirage »

the noise your describing sounds like the KIPS rattle
perfectly normal

how high do you need to keep the idle to keep it from stalling ?
the way these wet multiple plate clutches are designed allows for oil to remain in between the plates at low RPM with the clutch disengaged

the oil then acts as a seal, not allowing the engine and transmission to be fully disengaged, and it drags down the engine until it dies

(this is also the reason why it is so much harder to push a bike in gear, but with the clutch lever pulled)

it could be the clutch needs adjustment/maintenance, but if were talking a very low idle, and a very low rev over idle to keep it running, it sound pretty normal
newbbewb wrote:DIYmirage has it right.

-1996 KDX 200 woods weapon (converted to 99 green body)
-1996 KDX 200 plated street toy (barney edition)
-2003 Yamaha TTR125-L (wifeys bike)
-1997 KDX 220 project bike
shoe757
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by shoe757 »

Try and adjust it first to see if it gets better. How's the oil level? Last time you changed it? What oil do you run? If you run ATF or a lighter weight oil (10w40) its pretty normal to have some drag. Or if you run heavy weight (gear saver) and haven't changed it in a while. Is the bike lurching forward when you drop it in gear?
02 Kdx220
97 Kdx200/220
04 Kx250/500
01 Kx250
01 Kx100
13 Klx140
12 Teryx4
11 kfx450r
05 Vulcan 2000
04 636
93 Cbr900rr 8.37 ET
96 Rm125
Friedom
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by Friedom »

Both of mine do this (when they're running). Clutch drag, turn up your idle or check out the oil considerations above. FYI I'm running ATF also.

Fun Wheel Drive
Oscar N

Post by Oscar N »

The oil level is good I changed it a couple weeks ago with 4 stroke 10w40. Last time I went riding I tried setting the idle higher and even then it died after going into gear. How do I adjust the clutch?
ohgood
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

KDX stalls in first

Post by ohgood »

Oscar N wrote:Hi guys, my kdx idles fine in neutral but when i put it into first with the clutch in it dies unless I keep the revs up with the throttle. I've had a look around and as far as i can tell I might have to replace the clutch basket but I'm not sure. Also I'm not sure if this is normal or if it matters but I've noticed that when I'm in neutral and the clutch lever is out it makes a weird knocking noise, when I pull the clutch lever in the noise goes away. Any ideas on what it could be? Thanks
wet clutches always slow the engine while in gear. it's the surface tension of the fluid between the clutch plates. if yours will not drop into first gear (or any gear) without stalling either your clutch free play needs adjustment, or your clutch basket is notched. either of those can be fixed with adjustment or filing the basket.
shoe757
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by shoe757 »

Oscar N wrote:The oil level is good I changed it a couple weeks ago with 4 stroke 10w40. Last time I went riding I tried setting the idle higher and even then it died after going into gear. How do I adjust the clutch?
I believe there are two spots on the kdx. The easiest is where the clutch cable goes into the clutch lever. The piece that the cable goes into is threaded, there is also a "jam nut" I the threaded piece. Loosen the big round "jam nut", then turn the piece the cable goes into counter clockwise. Go until your lever only moves a little before it gets tight. So when you pull it in there should be a little free play before it gets stiff. If you can't get enough adjustment just reply and I'll try to explain how to adjust the other one.
02 Kdx220
97 Kdx200/220
04 Kx250/500
01 Kx250
01 Kx100
13 Klx140
12 Teryx4
11 kfx450r
05 Vulcan 2000
04 636
93 Cbr900rr 8.37 ET
96 Rm125
Jaguar
Supporting Member

Post by Jaguar »

I doubt his "knocking noise" is the KIPS rattle.
I'd pull the cover off to inspect everything. You have to do that anyway to file or dremel away the clutch basket notches that screw up normal clutch function. Grab the clutch basket and see if you can move it up and down. If so then the bearing at the far side of the clutch shaft needs to be replaced. It easily goes bad when owners let the oil level go below the recommended level. Actually it's advised that the level be slightly more than what is recommended to keep that bearing happy.
Performance CDI -- KDX motocross mods -- the SR KDX -- expansion chamber analysis---> http://www.dragonfly75.com/moto/
Friedom
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by Friedom »

My buddy helped with my oil change last time, and ended up over filling it a little. Then every time I'd run it, it would drip oil out of the crank vent hose. Continued doing that until I finally removed the bolt and drained some myself until I could barely see the level on the sight glass. Brand new motor rebuild.
So how much is "slightly more"?

Fun Wheel Drive
Sullyfam
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Sullyfam »

I have always put 100ml more than the OEM recommended level in all my bikes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Oscar N

Post by Oscar N »

I took the cover off today and had a look at it. The basket wasn't moving up and down or anything but there were notches in it so I'll file them away sometime. And yeah when I did my oil change I put a little bit more in than I meant to but just ended up leaving it
Tedh98
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by Tedh98 »

Friedom wrote:My buddy helped with my oil change last time, and ended up over filling it a little. Then every time I'd run it, it would drip oil out of the crank vent hose. Continued doing that until I finally removed the bolt and drained some myself until I could barely see the level on the sight glass. Brand new motor rebuild.
Is your vent hose routed up to the airbox or does it hang down under the bike like the carb hoses?

I always just use a full quart in the KDX's.
Friedom
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by Friedom »

It's paired with the vent hoses on the swingarm/rear of engine.

Fun Wheel Drive
ohgood
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by ohgood »

Friedom wrote:My buddy helped with my oil change last time, and ended up over filling it a little. Then every time I'd run it, it would drip oil out of the crank vent hose. Continued doing that until I finally removed the bolt and drained some myself until I could barely see the level on the sight glass. Brand new motor rebuild.

Fun Wheel Drive
i would imagine completely filling the transmission with oil would mean it would push out the vent line until ... it didn't anymore. maybe it would drag on the clutch some, but i have no idea. since the transmission is not recirculating oil with the crank case, there isn't much worry with it. the notches on the basket will effect clutch operation. best is a new basket, and better baskets have steel inserts to prevent waering on the basket.

i've filed mine twice since i bought it (very very used) used and had good results. right now clutch operation is smooth and predictable, hot/cold or screaming in third trying to make it up whatever hill, while slipping the clutch to prevent wheelspin.
Friedom
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by Friedom »

Thanks. Back to the OP, make sure you have a good clean plug in there. My bike was running ok today on a ride. Would stall out if I left the engine slow down much. After a mishap with the kickstand sinking into sand and the bike laying there dumping fuel into the cylinder for awhile, I had to change the spark plug. Man oh man it woke the bike up! Now it's running clean and making enough power at idle that it's less prone to stall out.
Just a thought.

Fun Wheel Drive
Oscar N

Post by Oscar N »

Does anyone know where I can get a new clutch basket? Bearing in mind I'm in New Zealand and don't want to pay heaps for shipping. I can't seem to find them anywhere for a kdx. Thanks for that friedom I'll have a look at the plug