220 piston ID thru exhaust port?

Discussion specific to the 1995 - 2006 KDX200 (H Series) and 1995 - 2005 KDX220R (A Series) models sold in the USA
Tyl3r
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Tyl3r »

I am wondering if I can tell if I have a stock or aftermarket piston in my 220 just by looking into the exhaust port. Is this possible? If so, what should I be looking for?

If I have an aftermarket in there, I'd like to hold off on doing my top end for a month or two. If I can see that it is a stocker, then I'm not going to chance it.

The previous owner was an old guy who bought it off another old guy that owned a small bike shop. They both took good care of the bike, but the previous owner had no idea if the top end was ever replaced.

Thanks for your help!
05 KX220 Hybrid all decked out
Julien D
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Re: 220 piston ID thru exhaust port?

Post by Julien D »

No, not really. If you have no way of knowing when it was last done, it's past time to do it.
Tyl3r
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Tyl3r »

Julien D wrote:No, not really. If you have no way of knowing when it was last done, it's past time to do it.
Yea, I know...you are right. Just dying to get everything together on the hybrid! haha I'm waiting to do the top end before I drop the motor in and button everything up, but I can't seem to find the time to do the top end :doh:
05 KX220 Hybrid all decked out
Julien D
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Julien D »

You can usually identify the piston from the crown if you pull the tank off and remove the head.
kx200
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by kx200 »

not sure if you can tell from the intake side?