Get it going

Discussion specific to the 1995 - 2006 KDX200 (H Series) and 1995 - 2005 KDX220R (A Series) models sold in the USA
PapaBear

Get it going

Post by PapaBear »

I just bought a 95 KDX200. I believe its the H series. Supposedly has new top end. I've rebuilt the rear susp replacing all bearings, new chain and sprockets and all roller/guide accessories, new air filter, cleaned the carb (seems to run fine although I haven't been on an actual ride yet), basically cleaned the bike from top to bottom. Here's my issue....changed the oil today, ran it up and down the street a few times, seems ok. drained and new oil is milky. waited a while to let it settle, still the same milky color. coolant hasn't changed, same color, same level. are we looking at a water pump seal? or head gasket? not sure where to go from here. Tired of working on it, ready to ride! Any info is appreciated....
6 Riders
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Get it going

Post by 6 Riders »

If there is water in the oil, but no oil in the water, most likely a water pump seal.
newbbewb wrote:^what he said.
masterblaster wrote:Man 6 riders you rock.
*side note...I'm drunk, so try to read what I'm trying to say, instead of what I actually type
Julien D
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Re: Get it going

Post by Julien D »

Coolant cant reach the trans through the head gasket. Almost certainly the water pump seal.
Tioli
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Get it going

Post by Tioli »

Just a really small side note When I bought my 97 the oil was milky and was prepared for a seal issue. Turned out to be aluminium from that brand of clutch material. Turns out others have had the same experience so could be if your lucky.
2001 KX125 with a 1997 KDX Tioli Hp motor

My KDX journey starts at the bottom of this page:
http://www.trials.com.au/forum/viewtopi ... &start=160

Trials.com.au / Forum / All about...me! / My long time friend the prancing horse / page 9
rparrish08

Get it going

Post by rparrish08 »

Is the oil greyish or whiteish? If it's white then it's probably coolant. It doesn't take a lot of coolant to make oil milky. Does the oil have an antifreeze smell to it? Is there coolant dripping from the weep hole under the water pump? Regardless of whether it's coolant or clutch wear it's not a huge problem. Water pump seals are an easy fix and if your clutch is working properly then a little material loss is expected. Start running atf type f through it. Change it every ride for a while and see if it clears up.
I have fought the good fight, I have finished the race, I have kept the faith. 2 Timothy 4:7