Speed wobble

Discussion specific to the 1995 - 2006 KDX200 (H Series) and 1995 - 2005 KDX220R (A Series) models sold in the USA
jimballs

Speed wobble

Post by jimballs »

I took my bike out for a run on a tar road yesterday evening after replacing the cleaned carb to see if all was good, I got a bit of a wake up when it felt like a speed wobble coming from the rear tire! I had just changed the front sprocket therefore loosening the rear axle maybe it isn't straight?? Also just pumped up tires pretty hard??
Any thoughts??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Jaguar
Supporting Member

Re: Speed wobble

Post by Jaguar »

yeah, it feels like a wobble to me too :twisted:
Performance CDI -- KDX motocross mods -- the SR KDX -- expansion chamber analysis---> http://www.dragonfly75.com/moto/
david

Post by david »

Check your rear wheel bearings. The only wobbles I have ever encountered were from the front. Check your steering head bearings too. They should be free, with no notch feeling in the center and there should be no up and down movement in the bars.
'81 KDX 175
'90 KDX 200
'07 Vulcan 2000 Classic LT (totaled 4/25/15)
'82 Honda GL500 (sold)
'96 ZXi 1100 JetSki
'98 STX 1100 JetSki
james

Post by james »

Jaguar wrote:yeah, it feels like a wobble to me too :twisted:
shot dude !!! really helpful!! :roll:
YOU CAN MASSAGE THE THANKS BUTTON THANKS!!!!
coleh2000

Post by coleh2000 »

have you put new bearings in the rear and front wheel?

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
james

Post by james »

coleh2000 wrote:have you put new bearings in the rear and front wheel?

yes rear only!!why??
YOU CAN MASSAGE THE THANKS BUTTON THANKS!!!!
ICRage42
Supporting Member

Speed wobble

Post by ICRage42 »

had the same kinda thing might help.

I was getting apparently a speed wobble on acceleration and could tell on higher speeds. What I did was get a new used rear wheel/// bearings were good in it and spokes etc. Held air and almost new tire.

After numerous look overs and what not I was stumped. I then put my old wheel tire back on and I still noticed it just not as bad. Once again new bearings spokes tight and right and tire was meh maybe half couple lugs gone nothing major.

Now my fix might help you.

Looking at the chain and sprocket line up tbh I eyeballed it both times and it looked good......to the naked eye. Put a cheap laser on the chain (which works good) and quickly realized even tho it was on the marks it was off. Taking the rear wheel and axle off again and lining up the adjusted marks side by side there was incredible amount of difference between the two sides. Mostly due to I would imagine wear and time. What I did was just used a pig tail or small round file and matched both up close to possible. No more take off wobble for me and new rim and tire setup is back on with no problems as well.

Just something you might wanna check.
If you cant fix it with a hammer, you have an electrical problem.
ohgood
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Speed wobble

Post by ohgood »

jimballs wrote:I took my bike out for a run on a tar road yesterday evening after replacing the cleaned carb to see if all was good, I got a bit of a wake up when it felt like a speed wobble coming from the rear tire! I had just changed the front sprocket therefore loosening the rear axle maybe it isn't straight?? Also just pumped up tires pretty hard??
Any thoughts??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
try again with 15-18psi, i bet it's less noticable.

wobbles are usually from a poorly seated bead (tire), worn out bearings, loose spokes, warped wheel, or in really worn out bikes, the swingarm bearings.

if your alignment marks are off your hill climb abilities will be sacrificed for your buddies laughter.
coleh2000

Post by coleh2000 »

sometimes I go places on the road it does get a little bumpy at certain time and it could just be the road where you were driving on it

s10gto
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Speed wobble

Post by s10gto »

Have you been on the road with it before? If not how about wheel balance? My 220 is plated and without about 4 ounces on the rear and 3 in the front is it impossible to go any speed without big time wobble. Off road you never notice the heavy rim locks. Now that I balanced them with no-mar weights 70+ is smooth wobble free.