Topend spluttering

Discussion specific to the 1995 - 2006 KDX200 (H Series) and 1995 - 2005 KDX220R (A Series) models sold in the USA
jimballs

Topend spluttering

Post by jimballs »

Could my float height being to low, closing to soon, cause my bike to splutter when I am full throttle in 5th gear??
Possibly not enough fuel in the bowl!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
bultaco4ever
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Re: Topend spluttering

Post by bultaco4ever »

I hope you get some helpful responses. I'll be interested to learn more about this as well. My bike that I got late last autumn had a similar symptom and I had too much fuel that caused something similar. My float needle was not sealing off well enough. (used a Scotch brite pad to clean up the seat area) Now I'm not leaking fuel anymore. I haven't been able to wring it out in the upper RPM's since the cold weather set in up here in the north. I kind of wonder if I have the correct float needle. Does anyone know how many mm long it should be? (tip: run a fuel filter)
james

Re: Topend spluttering

Post by james »

i have tried using a fuel filter but just cant seem to get the positioning right on the fuel line!!??
maybe if i could see some pictures of properly fitted filters it would help!!!
YOU CAN MASSAGE THE THANKS BUTTON THANKS!!!!
Tioli
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Topend spluttering

Post by Tioli »

To answer your question yes it can because you end up leaning it out a long way. This also could be done by a partially blocked fuel tap/lines where it empties faster than it fills.

If your foote needle seat is leaking to the point it wants to over fill at idel then it won't idel that well and come out the overflows.

It can also be your plug or hidden electrical fault as the pressure builds it takes more power to fire. Could be a partially blocked silencer.
2001 KX125 with a 1997 KDX Tioli Hp motor

My KDX journey starts at the bottom of this page:
http://www.trials.com.au/forum/viewtopi ... &start=160

Trials.com.au / Forum / All about...me! / My long time friend the prancing horse / page 9