kdx /kx / ??? kick starter

Discussion specific to the 1995 - 2006 KDX200 (H Series) and 1995 - 2005 KDX220R (A Series) models sold in the USA
ohgood
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

kdx /kx / ??? kick starter

Post by ohgood »

my kick starter of unknown origins is worn out at the pivot. this current kicker knuckle is tight on the splines like it should be, but the kicker is sloppy on the knuckle.

bought a kx125 short kicker to adapt, but the kicker hole is twenty thousandths too small for the kdx knuckle, and the kx knuckle is about a sixteenth too small for the splines.

sooooo, now I'm looking at polishing the kx kicker or to fit the knuckle, and putting a grease fitting on top to replace the snap ring that normally holds it to the the knuckle.

I'll spend about thirty hours on it this weekend I guess, then it will rain all next week. or something.

yay for old bikes with limited parts availability.
ohgood
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Re: kdx /kx / ??? kick starter

Post by ohgood »

ok, update time.

after many hours of filing, ID grinding, and ready fitting, the 1985 kx125 kicker is on my stock kdx220 knuckle.

:-)

much faster to start with this shorter lever, now is it doesn't fall off and very lost in the woods I'll be very happy :-)

information:

the kx125 kicker bore is at least .032" smaller than the kdx knuckle, so it HAS to be opened up to fit.

the kx125 splines are at least .080" smaller than the kdx kicker shaft (in the engine) so it will not worth with the kx125 knuckle, at all, ever.

the kdx knuckle is taller than the kx knuckle, and held on differently, so you have to tap a hole on top of the kdx knuckle to hold the kicker on, or pray that the snap ring doesn't go flying away, along with your kx kicker. I'm opting for that this morning, and will drill/tap for a bolt and washer after today's ride.
ohgood
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by ohgood »

I deleted the snap ring that was barely holding onto the kdx's stock knuckle and tapped a hole for a socket head cap screw:

now that washer plays double duty. it (somewhat) keeps the dirt out, and prevents the kick starter from slipping off the top of the knuckle:

the nut that holds the knuckle to the kicker shaft was tightened with red loctite, the ball detent set screw was set with blue lotite and peened at the end, and the socket head screw on top was also blue loctited. you can see i marked the bolt heads with red paint pen to show if they loosen at all. after a month or so, it paint normally wears off, but by that time the possibility of working loose is not a question any more.

parts used:
stock kdx 220 (1997) knuckle
stock kx 125 (1989) kick starter
red / blue loctite
centerpunch
.203" drill
1/4-20 tap (it's easier to find a 1/4-20 screw in town than metrics normally
1/4-20 x 3/4" bolt
lots of waterproof grease

the action is so much faster than the stock kicker, i'm quite pleased.
Tyl3r
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Tyl3r »

I bought a 2005 KX250 Knuckle for my hybrid and it mounts right up to the KDX starter shaft. I have an 05 KX125 and an KX250 kicker lever sitting in the garage to use, both mount up to the boss just fine.

Figured this would save ya some time? I cant remember the price of the boss was it was fairly inexpensive. The KX kicker also have a grease seal in them. Being the nerd that I am, I appreciated that lol
04/05 KX220 Hybrid all decked out
18 KTM 500 EXC-F Dual Sport/Sumo toy
24 KTM 300XC-W Cheater bike