kdx200 rpm go up for no reason

Discussion specific to the 1995 - 2006 KDX200 (H Series) and 1995 - 2005 KDX220R (A Series) models sold in the USA
413kdx200

Post by 413kdx200 »

Hey guys, new here. My 96 kdx 200 has started acting really weird. Everytime i start the bike up it runs then after about a min of riding then the rpm will randomly start going up really high and you have to kill the engine.
The day when this happend it acted weird most of the day. When i first took it out of the garage it fired up second kick and ran great, after being out in the fields for about 15 min i dumped the bike because it was muddy out i picked the bike up immediately and had to kick it about 30 times until i got it started and it was idling very low. it could only idle for about ten seconds before cutting out when before the crash it would idle forever. Also after the crash turning on the choke did nothing to the idle if anything it made it cut out even quicker. so when i was riding back home was when the rpm surges happend, i was just riding down the trail and all of the sudden the rpms start going way up and i have to kill the bike. start the bike up again and about 1 min later it happend again. same thing for the third try.

So what could be wrong with the bike?

All i can think of is Air leak, bad jetting or dirty carb.

I don't think it is the throttle cable because the rpms don't shoot up all at once it more goes up over a 5 second span.

PLEASE HELP I WANNA GO RIDE!!!
bone7615

Re: kdx200 rpm go up for no reason

Post by bone7615 »

Maybe there is a problem with the air intake somewhere, I've seen holes in intake boots that did similar things.
If you had a choice to date supermodels for the rest of your life or ride dirt bikes, would you choose a 2-stroke or a 4-stroke?
ohgood
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by ohgood »

413kdx200 wrote:Hey guys, new here. My 96 kdx 200 has started acting really weird. Everytime i start the bike up it runs then after about a min of riding then the rpm will randomly start going up really high and you have to kill the engine.
The day when this happend it acted weird most of the day. When i first took it out of the garage it fired up second kick and ran great, after being out in the fields for about 15 min i dumped the bike because it was muddy out i picked the bike up immediately and had to kick it about 30 times until i got it started and it was idling very low. it could only idle for about ten seconds before cutting out when before the crash it would idle forever. Also after the crash turning on the choke did nothing to the idle if anything it made it cut out even quicker. so when i was riding back home was when the rpm surges happend, i was just riding down the trail and all of the sudden the rpms start going way up and i have to kill the bike. start the bike up again and about 1 min later it happend again. same thing for the third try.

So what could be wrong with the bike?

All i can think of is Air leak, bad jetting or dirty carb.

I don't think it is the throttle cable because the rpms don't shoot up all at once it more goes up over a 5 second span.

PLEASE HELP I WANNA GO RIDE!!!
sounds like fuel starvation (leaning the mixture) from a leaky (bad seal) fuel line, bad fuel filter, or similar fuel starving issue.

or an air leak.
Julien D
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Re: kdx200 rpm go up for no reason

Post by Julien D »

Being that its intermittent I lean toward fuel starvation. Clean the petcock, lines, and carb. Also check all the vent hoses for obstruction.