No Top End on my 99 kdx 200.

Discussion specific to the 1995 - 2006 KDX200 (H Series) and 1995 - 2005 KDX220R (A Series) models sold in the USA
Chilly

Post by Chilly »

I recently just rebuilt the top end and had my cylinder replated. The dealer took my power valve apart and found 2 broken parts. I ordered new parts and had the dealer clean and put it all back in. Today I got it running and broke in. Idles great but the top end gas no power. It won't rev out It just hesitates spts and sputters. Could the dealer have the kips out of time or do I need to look at the jets since I have a new top end.
Tedh98
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by Tedh98 »

Chilly wrote:Could the dealer have the kips out of time or do I need to look at the jets since I have a new top end.

Yes and yes. It could be something else, but those two things are relatively easy to check.
Chilly

Re: No Top End on my 99 kdx 200.

Post by Chilly »

I'm a dumb ass. I forgot to tighten the left handed nut. I will run it tomorrow and see if I fixed it.
Tedh98
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by Tedh98 »

Chilly wrote:I forgot to tighten the left handed nut. I will run it tomorrow and see if I fixed it.
Was that the problem?
Chilly

Post by Chilly »

Nope. Problem didn't go away. I took it to the dealer since they are the ones who took my kips apart and re assembled it. Warrenty work. I won't have it back until the first week of March.
Julien D
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Julien D »

They probably busted the pin that engages the governor during disassembly.
Tedh98
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by Tedh98 »

Did you ever check to see what jets where in there? And did you pull the pipe and verify the KIPS wasn't set-up properly?
Chilly

Post by Chilly »

Has a 160 jet in it. Kips looked ok to me but something is wrong. I will know in about 2 weeks i guess. I wont ever buy a cheap bike again. This has been a night mare for sure. One thing after another.
Jaguar
Supporting Member

Post by Jaguar »

it's not the KIPS.
compression, spark plug, reed valve, crank seals, possibly even CDI or high voltage coil going bad
Performance CDI -- KDX motocross mods -- the SR KDX -- expansion chamber analysis---> http://www.dragonfly75.com/moto/
Friedom
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by Friedom »

How do you check crank seals?

Fun Wheel Drive
Chilly

Post by Chilly »

From my understanding you pull the left side of the lower off pull the stator and fly wheel off and Thats it. Come to think of it I think Thats my problem. I'm loosing oil somewhere so I bet Thats it. And Thats why my bike aint running well.
Tedh98
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by Tedh98 »

Chilly wrote:Come to think of it I think Thats my problem. I'm loosing oil somewhere so I bet Thats it. And Thats why my bike aint running well.
I don't remember you saying that you were loosing tranny fluid. Unless you have a leak somewhere, that would indicate a worn right side crank seal.
Last edited by Tedh98 on 12:11 pm Feb 23 2016, edited 3 times in total.
Tedh98
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by Tedh98 »

Friedom wrote:How do you check crank seals?
A leak down test is the most common.

If the left/flywheel side is leaking enough, you'll see it:

And if the right/clutch side is leaking you'll loose tranny fluid (assuming no leaks) and likely have a big increase in spooge.
Tedh98
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by Tedh98 »

Chilly wrote:Has a 160 jet in it. Kips looked ok to me but something is wrong. I will know in about 2 weeks i guess. I wont ever buy a cheap bike again. This has been a night mare for sure. One thing after another.
Even if you were at sea level, a 160 is too big.

It is all about expectations. If you bought a cheap bike expecting to be able to ride it right away and not put money into it, then you would be disappointed.

Taking a positive look at this, you have a new top-end, it sounds like you'll need to get the cases split to replace the seals. While the engine is split, replace all the bearings & bushings. Yes that is some more money, but there won't ever be a better time to do it. Then when you are done, you'll have a brand new engine that will last another 15 years. So if you bought the bike for $500 and then dump another $800-$1,000 into it, you'll be better off ahead than if you bought a $1,500 KDX.
Chilly

Post by Chilly »

Yeah your right. I will have a old new bike. I was told the case won't need to be split if that seal is leaking. I really hope not anyways.
Tedh98
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by Tedh98 »

Chilly wrote:I was told the case won't need to be split if that seal is leaking. I really hope not anyways.
Did the dealer say that or someone else?

If the crank seals need to be replaced, then the cases will need to be split.
Chilly

Post by Chilly »

Someone else. Said it's right behind the fly wheel. To be honest I have no idea if you can't tell. I know I'm ready to ride and that spring is a month away here in Kentucky. Be glad when it's all over. I have learned a bunch from doing this rebuild. Its painfull on my wallet but it will be worth it.
Friedom
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by Friedom »

We hear you brother. I just started up my build for the first time yesterday. I got it for a "great deal" of $200.
I'm over $3k invested now. That money will never come back. But I have no concerns about the engine, as I had it entirely rebuilt - crank, seals, bushings, piston, kips, you name it.
Ok I did cheap out and keep my clutch plates.
That feeling when it starts up, idles like a dream, and starts showing you what it can do, though, is pretty good. Almost worth the price[emoji14]

Fun Wheel Drive