KDX 220 Dual Sport on the cheap

Discussion specific to the 1995 - 2006 KDX200 (H Series) and 1995 - 2005 KDX220R (A Series) models sold in the USA
bushx
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by bushx »

When I purchased and registered my 220 last year, I received a "motorcycle" registration as opposed to the usual "off road use only" registration, so I figure it's a sign I should slap some lights and a horn on it and turn it into little dual sport. In my province of Canada, signal lights are required. Here's my plan, figure I'll run it by the experts here. I have no plans to actually ride at night, so the stock headlight stays. I've already replaced Rear fender with a UFO that's wired for an 1157 dual filament bulb. I purchase a LED version to keep the draw low.
The Plan:
Wire a banjo brake light switch to the 1157 bulb, tapping power off the rear tail light.
Run the headlight and tail/brake off AC, just like stock.
Purchased an eBay ignition switch, wire it into the ignition circuit. Might need a relay here?
The LED signal lights horn flasher and switchgear I sourced from eBay. I plan to first run these off of a small 6000 mah 12v battery and charge the battery at home from time to time. If I get all that working, I may install a 12v reg/rectifier switched, only to charge the battery and power a 5v USB port when the lights are off. This way I don't have to worry about the 40watt lighting coil not being enough and I could use the bike to keep my phone/gps charged when I hit the trails.
Total investment of about $60.
Thoughts?
JFortner5
Supporting Member

Re: KDX 220 Dual Sport on the cheap

Post by JFortner5 »

I can't offer any help, but I am planning on doing something similar pretty soon. When you do it a how-to would be much appreciated.
Joey

2003 KDX 220R
bushx
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by bushx »

Don't know about a full how too, but I'll take lots of pics along the way. Going to be a month or so before all the parts show up on the slow boat from China, literary. Forgot to mention instruments, for now I'm just going to use my iPhone in a lifeproof case, but have been eyeing the trailtech Endurance II.
bushx
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by bushx »

Question. I've read other threads on this subject. If I understand correctly, if I don't touch the stock AC system, and plan to run a total loss DC system in parallel for sig's and horn, then I will need to bring all grounds for the DC directly back to the battery and not ground via the frame. This sound correct? Anyone have a link to the stock wiring diagram?
Thanks.
ohgood
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by ohgood »

i did similarly, with brake lights , mechanical switch, and led headlight. i used the AC power from the stator, through a $9 rectifier (Chinese scooter) and added a $30 1.3Ah dc battery to the circuit. it's very simple, very cheap, and means connecting trails aren't a big deal. probably the lightest dual sport in the road. titling isn't a big deal either, any bike greater than 200cc can be tagged through south Dakota
bushx
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by bushx »

So you converted it all to DC? The more I think about it, the more I think I may rewind the stator and do the same. I can solder. I tried a led headlight bulb, and it busted off inside the housing and bounced around for a few hours while on the the trail, buggering up the lens and reflector. Could try a smaller/better one I guess.
bushx
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by bushx »

Few things done.
Took off the Flexbars and mounted a set of Renthal Fat Bars, RC High bend.
Also mounted the switch gear for the signals and horn, and an old Sigma bicycle computer I had kicking around for the speedo. Used an extra magnet I had from my Husky and drilled a hole in the hub to accept it. I threaded the hole, and tapped the magnet, permanent loctight, and I'll add a little RTV around it to make sure it doesn't move once I verify it actually works.
hrchins

Post by hrchins »

Let me know if/when you do the ignition switch. Looking to put one on mine soon. TIA!