Rebuilding my 01 kdx200

Discussion specific to the 1995 - 2006 KDX200 (H Series) and 1995 - 2005 KDX220R (A Series) models sold in the USA
Ffryno13

Rebuilding my 01 kdx200

Post by Ffryno13 »

So in rebuilding my 01 motor from the ground up so it's fresh for my mx hybrid. I've looked at a few sites and no one has the engine seal kits. Do you just use the same year kx 125 seal kit?

All I can find for the crank is the rod arm, is it just a press pin and the cans are usually fine?

I'm also planning on having some porting done on my cylinder which needs a new sleeve should I do the sleeve first or porting first then new sleeve?

As always all info is appreciated!
canamfan
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Rebuilding my 01 kdx200

Post by canamfan »

I just looked on rockymountain atv&mc they have crank bearings and seals. Kawasaki should have seals available too. There are also rod kits by hot rods and I'm sure others that come with a new rod, crank pin, and bearing. yes the crank pin presses out. You can also buy a complete crank assembly. The cylinder can be re-plated, there are several companies that do it. If it is damaged to badly it can have a sleeve put in. I have not had porting done myself but I would think it would be better to work on the ports before the plating to eliminate the risk of damaging the new plating. Good luck
6 Riders
Gold Member
Gold Member

Rebuilding my 01 kdx200

Post by 6 Riders »

Ffryno13 wrote:So in rebuilding my 01 motor from the ground up so it's fresh for my mx hybrid. I've looked at a few sites and no one has the engine seal kits. Do you just use the same year kx 125 seal kit?

All I can find for the crank is the rod arm, is it just a press pin and the cans are usually fine?

I'm also planning on having some porting done on my cylinder which needs a new sleeve should I do the sleeve first or porting first then new sleeve?

As always all info is appreciated!
Look for "winderossa" (sp?) seal kits on E-bay.

KDX's don't use a sleeve, they are coated cylinders. IF yours needs a sleeve, it can be done. Usually we have the cylinders Nikasealed at Millenium technologies or similar outfit.
newbbewb wrote:^what he said.
masterblaster wrote:Man 6 riders you rock.
*side note...I'm drunk, so try to read what I'm trying to say, instead of what I actually type
Ffryno13

Re: Rebuilding my 01 kdx200

Post by Ffryno13 »

Thanks I found the gasket and seal kits. Now I just need to find all the trans bearings. Does any one have part numbers for all the engine bearings. The online service manual for the kdx200 only shows a couple bearings and it doesn't even have the bearings for the power valve.
Ffryno13

Post by Ffryno13 »

Here's the part numbers I found

92046-026
601A
601B6204
92045B1305
92045A1304
92045-1319
Ffryno13

Post by Ffryno13 »

All my bearings and bushings are ordered and on the way. My original cases and trans are toast so I'm waiting for the new ones to show up.

Has anyone ever replaced that steel bushing that carries the counter shaft on the clutch case?
Tedh98
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by Tedh98 »

Ffryno13 wrote:Has anyone ever replaced that steel bushing that carries the counter shaft on the clutch case?
Yes
Ffryno13

Post by Ffryno13 »

Will it come out like a bearing or is there a special way to do it?
Tedh98
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by Tedh98 »

Just to make sure we are talking about the same thing, you mean the bushing on the right of this picture? If so it presses out/in like a bearing.
Ffryno13

Post by Ffryno13 »

Tedh98 wrote:Image

Just to make sure we are talking about the same thing, you mean the bushing on the right of this picture? If so it presses out/in like a bearing.

Yep that's the one. Thanks for clearing that up. When I first looked at it I thought it was cast in, until I saw the stops.
Ffryno13

Post by Ffryno13 »

So a little update after having issues with the cases and so on. I finally have all my parts to start the bottom end. I'm still a little nervous about installing my seals and bearings using the heat/ freeze method. I even bought a little toaster oven so my wife wouldn't run me off for using the kitchen oven. I'm assuming that heating the cases with seals to 200* is fine because the motor probably gets in that range from normal riding.

Has anyone tried coating the kips pieces with a grafite spray to keep the carbon build up off. Or are the tolerances too tight to function.

The only reason I ask is we just sprayed a mower deck with a grafite/silicone spray and of course I had to touch it (because that's what I do) and the lack of stiction got me thinking I would be a good way to stave off carbon build up. Thoughts?
Tedh98
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by Tedh98 »

Ffryno13 wrote: I'm assuming that heating the cases with seals to 200* is fine
That would be fine. I do 230 for 20 minutes.

With the most recent bottom end I tried dry ice this time. I havent looked up how cold dry ice will get something, but it seems to work better than the freezer. I was able to drop in some other bearings that didnt go in at freezer temps. It was $6 and the kids had something fun to mess around with afterwards. Just something to consider.
Ffryno13

Post by Ffryno13 »

How long did you leave the bearings on the dry ice and did you pull them from the packaging before, so it was metal on ice?
Tedh98
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by Tedh98 »

Ffryno13 wrote:How long did you leave the bearings on the dry ice and did you pull them from the packaging before, so it was metal on ice?

If you scroll down to the middle of this 220 build page, you'll see that part of it.

I always remove the bearings and spray them with wd40 to help with condensation later on. I wasn't able to get the dry ice until the next day, so I put them in the freezer that night just to speed up the process. Then I only kept them on the dry ice for 30 minutes. If I didn't already have them cold, I probably would have left them on the dry ice for a couple of hours.

I did forget that I upped the temperature to 300 this last time because I didn't have to worry about the seals. So maybe it was higher case temperature, the colder bearing temperature or a combination that helped some of the other bearings drop in.

But you can definitely get the crank bearings in with just the freezer and 230 degree cases. 200 may very well work, but I've never tried that.

One of the "cool" things about the dry ice is that when you put metal in contact with it, it makes this strange vibrating noise for a while. Then once the metal gets super cold, it stops.
Ffryno13

Post by Ffryno13 »

Great build man! I lapped my cases already but only a little I didn't want to ruin something, even though I know it's only taking thousandths off it still feels weird doing that to motorcycle cases.

I liked the way you cleaned up your porting. Did you notice any gains from just cleaning it up?

Also how have your "crank seal plates" worked out?
Tedh98
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by Tedh98 »

Ffryno13 wrote: I liked the way you cleaned up your porting. Did you notice any gains from just cleaning it up?

Also how have your "crank seal plates" worked out?
I haven't gotten it all put together yet. I'm in the middle of a cabinet build and I'm just getting a little bit of time here and there to work on it.

I'm converting my 200 to a 220 by adding the cylinder/head. I've never ridden a 220 with a fresh top end, so I have nothing to compare it to.

I really don't think those retainers are necessary, but I had the time and aluminum to do it. So why not?
Ffryno13

Post by Ffryno13 »

I can definitely sympathize with having very little time to work on my project lately with kids, work and side work. And trying to get my powder coating business off the ground I've only had 20 min a night to get things done.

Either way it's a really solid/clean build you have going.