Recently Purchased 99 KDX 200

Discussion specific to the 1995 - 2006 KDX200 (H Series) and 1995 - 2005 KDX220R (A Series) models sold in the USA
Chilly

Post by Chilly »

I bought a 99 kdx200 for 600.00 right before Christmas. Bike ran fine before i handed the guy the money. All it needed was a front tire, wheel bearing, chain and sprockets. I put all the stuff on it and drove it for 15minutes and lost my top end power. So i pulled the top end off and realized it needed to be rebuilt and the cylinder needs replating. As i took the kips apart there was a gear with missing teeth and on a rod also. I think after all this i will have around 1,500.00 maybe a little more in the bike, parts and all. I will have a old bike with a new top end. This is great so I can ride without concern, but on the other hand I Hope I didnt screw myself on this as far as resale value goes. What do you think.?
diymirage
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Re: Recently Purchased 99 KDX 200

Post by diymirage »

this must be your first KDX

none of us know what the resale value of one is, since none of us would ever consider parting with one
newbbewb wrote:DIYmirage has it right.

-1996 KDX 200 woods weapon (converted to 99 green body)
-1996 KDX 200 plated street toy (barney edition)
-2003 Yamaha TTR125-L (wifeys bike)
-1997 KDX 220 project bike
bultaco4ever
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by bultaco4ever »

You're doing fine. If you bought this bike to make a profit...you probably should be buying used cars and reselling them (bigger market). But for a good used dirt bike with all new parts in it that you can ride and enjoy....you are right on the money. Why spend $8K for a new one?
Chilly

Post by Chilly »

Yeah your right. I never looked at it this way. I bought it to ride not sale so I guess I did do good. This is my first dirt bike in 9 years so what better way to start up again. Older bike new motor. I guess I'm just shocked because I don't know how much things cost anymore. Cost to have fun. Thanks for the input.
bultaco4ever
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by bultaco4ever »

I bought a '93 200 in October for $400. I have replaced almost all of the previous owner neglect and probably have the same $ invested that you do. I have a like new bike and personally know almost every part on the bike. If something breaks...I'll know just what to do. And I'm having a lot of fun figuring out how to make it better. Golfers spend huge bucks on tee times. I spend huge bucks on dirt bikes. Tomato...tomahto, Potato...potahto, six to one...half a dozen to another, etc. It's a hobby but it's my hobby.
diymirage
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by diymirage »

bultaco4ever wrote:I bought a '93 200 in October for $400. I spend huge bucks on dirt bikes. Tomato...tomahto, Potato...potahto, six to one...half a dozen to another, etc. It's a hobby but it's my hobby.

that's one way to look at it
when I spun a rod in my duster last year it took close to 5K to get the engine rebuild...but now shes putting out 420 HP and 480 ft.lbs of torque
and wouldn't you know it, then it becomes a game of find the weakest link
at first it was the rear end, that lasted less then 72 hours behind the 408..shredded the spider gears

upgraded that and she blew a clutch drum out of the transmission
that will be fixed this winter

after that, my guess is the weakest link is now the torque converter, so I just had one build for it, to beat it to the punch so to speak

so, yeah, whats $1500 on a dirtbike?

newbbewb wrote:DIYmirage has it right.

-1996 KDX 200 woods weapon (converted to 99 green body)
-1996 KDX 200 plated street toy (barney edition)
-2003 Yamaha TTR125-L (wifeys bike)
-1997 KDX 220 project bike
Chilly

Post by Chilly »

Im feeling better after every post. LMAO. Got to pay to play
bultaco4ever
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by bultaco4ever »

I added it all up since I got this bike....$825 in repairs. KIPS valves, fork seals and service, jets, air filter,shock bearing,reeds, tires, manuals, used headlight, inner tubes, iridium plug, wheel bearings, spokes, missing radiator shrouds, top end gasket kit, silencer packing, hand grips, chain, and I am forgetting some stuff. Add initial price ($400)....$1225. That is cheap. Resale value??? Maybe I could break even if I was lucky. But, I'm not selling.
Friedom
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by Friedom »

Well since we're going there..
I picked up my 92 with a seized engine for $200.
Rebuilt engine arrives this week (with some fancy stuff done to it) and I'm around $1750 and have to get some machining and work done to finish the frankenbolt on suspension.
And I've never rode or even heard one run!

Joy to the world!