Front brake rotor question

Discussion specific to the 1995 - 2006 KDX200 (H Series) and 1995 - 2005 KDX220R (A Series) models sold in the USA
ced64k
Supporting Member

Post by ced64k »

I have a 96 KDX200 with a 97 KX250 fork and wheel. The rotor from the KX was in bad shape. Both (kdx & kx) are floating discs. I was thinking
using the KDX rotor but the holes are differents, so I have to buy a new rotor.

I found this wave model from Braking (KW01FID) :

But it's not a floating one. Does it fit ? At the moment I'll keep the KDX caliper. Do you have other recommendation/brand ? I like these wave shapes.

Thanks.
cornishwrecker220

Post by cornishwrecker220 »

My 220's floating front disc needed replacing so I opted for a wavy 'solid' rotor ..it was for a Kxf 250 / Kx250 but the holes aligned with that on my hub , the only small mod I did was to drill out the mounting holes on the disc to take the 8mm mounting bolts ( the kxf/kx use 6mm ) i also swapped out the bolts for domed headed stainless Allen bolts ,I used loctite on the bolts just for added saftey ...a year on & ive had no trouble at all except under heavy braking I do get some awful brake squeal ....the disc itself is thicker than the OE disc & whith new pads fitted the piston is as far back as it will go, there's a little bit of brake drag but after a few miles once the pads have bedded in the drag disappeared.
The disc I purchased off eBay for around £30 from a UK company called Race Discs uk
ced64k
Supporting Member

Re: Front brake rotor question

Post by ced64k »

Thanks cornishwrecker220, finally I ordered from Race Discs too. £61,24 for the disc, the bolts and the EBC pads. The Braking disc was too expensive (more than 100€).

http://www.racediscs.com
SS109
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by SS109 »

I'm running the Tusk wave rotor on my '96 KX hub and it is also a solid rotor. I've had no problems with it being solid compared to the OEM floating rotor.
Youtube Channel: WildAzzRacing
AZ State Parks & Trails OHV Ambassador - Trail Riders of Southern AZ
Current KDX: '98 KDX220
Old KDX: '90 KDX200 -White/Blue
'11 GasGas EC250R