clutch lever adjustment

Discussion specific to the 1995 - 2006 KDX200 (H Series) and 1995 - 2005 KDX220R (A Series) models sold in the USA
james

clutch lever adjustment

Post by james »

i have a 2005 200h and would just like to know if its possible and also if it is at all recommended to adjust my clutch lever to allow a shift without it being pulled all the way in, in other words i want to be able to change with only 1 or two fingers while the others are still holding the grip,maybe about an inch before the grip???
YOU CAN MASSAGE THE THANKS BUTTON THANKS!!!!
Tioli
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

clutch lever adjustment

Post by Tioli »

I don't think it matters what you do. The way I see it there are a few stages and as long as you work with in them put it where you want.

I think it's nessesery to have a little free play so there is no slipping under load.

There is the slipping stage and that will be a pull range depending on the leverage and type of leaver.

Then you should adjust it so it goes at least a little into the fully engaged so there is no drag when idling

You can change gears without a clutch on the fly. So how much you have to pull it in gets difficult to say as it depends on your style. As a general rule if you can change it smoothly while just half pulling it in alls good.

I like to use fully adjustable leavers and position then to suit the length of my fingers and what I like which is the same on all my bikes.
2001 KX125 with a 1997 KDX Tioli Hp motor

My KDX journey starts at the bottom of this page:
http://www.trials.com.au/forum/viewtopi ... &start=160

Trials.com.au / Forum / All about...me! / My long time friend the prancing horse / page 9
james

clutch lever adjustment

Post by james »

Tioli wrote:I don't think it matters what you do. The way I see it there are a few stages and as long as you work with in them put it where you want.

I think it's nessesery to have a little free play so there is no slipping under load.

There is the slipping stage and that will be a pull range depending on the leverage and type of leaver.

Then you should adjust it so it goes at least a little into the fully engaged so there is no drag when idling

You can change gears without a clutch on the fly. So how much you have to pull it in gets difficult to say as it depends on your style. As a general rule if you can change it smoothly while just half pulling it in alls good.

I like to use fully adjustable leavers and position then to suit the length of my fingers and what I like which is the same on all my bikes.
adjustable levers like???
ohgood
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

clutch lever adjustment

Post by ohgood »

james wrote:i have a 2005 200h and would just like to know if its possible and also if it is at all recommended to adjust my clutch lever to allow a shift without it being pulled all the way in, in other words i want to be able to change with only 1 or two fingers while the others are still holding the grip,maybe about an inch before the grip???
slide your clutch perch inward, towards the triple tree, as far as you can.

benefits:
much lighter clutch pull, as you're working on the END of the lever instead of the beginning
two finger operation, without having to buy a different lever
Tioli
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

clutch lever adjustment

Post by Tioli »

I presume eBay is the same world over. Surch "KDX clutch leaver" and the first one up for me hear is cheep green short leaver to fit inside hand guards fully adjustable Chinese ones. There are others if you want branded quality but they work just fine.

Trials.com.au / Forum / All about...me! / My long time friend the prancing horse / page 9
james

Re: clutch lever adjustment

Post by james »

Tioli
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

clutch lever adjustment

Post by Tioli »

These are made for a road bike.

The master cylinder will not fit as the brake line connection is at the wrong angle plus you don't want the master cylinder sitting up that high flapping around.

The clutch is sort of or right but has a mirror support and clutch micro switch which you don't need. So for that reason alone I would not use it.

Look a little more trail bike specific.