2000 KDX 200 Low Power???

Discussion specific to the 1995 - 2006 KDX200 (H Series) and 1995 - 2005 KDX220R (A Series) models sold in the USA
mudmonkey

Post by mudmonkey »

Firstly, apologies for the long post, but i thought it est to include as much information as possible :?

I picked up a cheap 2000 kdx 200 last summer that was headed for the scrapheap with a view to giving it a new lease of life. Since then, i have rebuilt it from the bottom up, engine work carried out included:
  • -all new oil seals
    -all new bearings
    - new conrod\re-balanced the crank
    -new gaskets
    -new piston + rings
    -cleaned + timed the kips
    -replaced any broken\worn parts
    -new stator coil, ht coil and cdi
I won't bore you by giving you the full list, but you get the impression. These forums have been an invaluable source of information throughout, but now that i have it up and running, something doesn't seem quite right in terms of power (particularly in the first 2 gears). I've read many posts where others have said the kdx should easily cock its front wheel in the first few gears, but my bike has never done that. The strange thing is, it seems to run ok, there's no bogging or spluttering, and it pulls cleanly in the higher gears, but there's definitely not enough power to lift the front wheel without really trying. I've checked all the obvious things:
  • - engine is making 150 psi
    -kips is definitely timed correctly, checked by removing exhaust and looking into the cylinder, also removed the inspection cover for the kips gear and it moves as it should when i rev the bike at idle
    -completely cleaned carb and rejetted to 156/45, also checked the jet block gasket which is in good shape
    - reeds are not chipped\damaged and seem fine
    - tyres have good tread and run 12psi front 10psi rear
    - cleaned and oiled air filter
    - re-packed silencer
    - all new fluids
Mods are FMF pipe and silencer (not sure which one), removed airbox lid, also have 'performance cdi' from this guy http://www.dragonfly75.com/moto/KDXCDI.html

I know the clutch could do with being changed, but ran out of money and thought i'd do it at the next service (springs + plates were out of spec and the basket is grooved), but surely this wouldn't account for that much power loss?
Also, the sprocket combo is 13/50, but surely that would give it more 'snap' so to speak?
I plan on replacing the clutch and filing down the grooves on the clutch basket, i'll also replaced the sprockets + chain (chain is a bit stretched and at max. adjustment) and revert back to the stock 13/47 gearing, but can't see that this will make that much of a difference. Other than that, all i can think of is an over-oiled air filter or over-packed silencer, but i'm really clutching at straws with those!! Anyone got any ideas that i may have missed?
KDXrider1989

Re: 2000 KDX 200 Low Power???

Post by KDXrider1989 »

Is the timing spot on? If its running correctly a bad/slipping clutch can most definitely contribute to a lack of power delivery. itll especially be felt in the lower gears, I think you solved your own issue LOL. be sure you are running transmission oil that is safe for the wet clutch and wont cause it to slip, also make sure your clutch cable isnt overly tight. But if it helps any, I have to put a little effort to wheelie my KDX, it doesnt just come up like a 250 2t motocrosser, and its got some mods and jetted correctly and in perfect running order. you could also just be experiencing wheelspin, my KDX will spin the rear tire before bringing the front up
Last edited by KDXrider1989 on 11:34 am Oct 30 2015, edited 1 time in total.
mudmonkey

Post by mudmonkey »

Yeah, i've played about with the timing to see if it makes a difference, it was slightly retarded but is now an the center mark of the stator plate. I'm using silkolene light gear oil, there's a decent amount of free play in the clutch lever so it's not too tight. It doesn't really feel like the clutch is slipping, but i measured everything with calipers when i had it all apart and it is definitely out of spec, so i will definitely address that at some point, but aren't really sure if that's my problem...
mudmonkey

Post by mudmonkey »

I think that may be some of the problem, the kdx is my first bike so i don't really have anything to compare it to. The only other bikes i've ridden are my mate's 250sxf and 300exc, which are both obviously a lot quicker, but there seem to be a lot of posts around this forum where people claim their kdx will easily pull up the front without trying, and even flip it if they're not careful! Mine definitely won't do that...
KDXrider1989

Post by KDXrider1989 »

mine won't either, I gotta get into mid to high rpms then hit it in first to lift the front up while still sitting down, and pull up on the bars and load the suspension to lift it in 2nd and 3rd standing up. but yes get the clutch issue sorted out and report back here, see if it made a difference
6 Riders
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by 6 Riders »

RMATV sells a clutch/plate kit for about $60. Make sure there is another $40 in parts/tires that you want or need for free shipping :lol: .....we all do it :whistle: .
My DXs don't "easily" loft the front wheel, but I use proper body position, so.....If I sit on the back of the seat and open them up , they'll lift.

Also, you could be a tad rich. I'm at 0-600' with Rev pipe, Rad Valve w/carbon reeds, snorkel removed...jetting is at 42/152. All bikes jetting is different, so take it for what it's worth.....
newbbewb wrote:^what he said.
masterblaster wrote:Man 6 riders you rock.
*side note...I'm drunk, so try to read what I'm trying to say, instead of what I actually type
mudmonkey

Post by mudmonkey »

I'm in the UK so i've got no chance of free shipping from RMATV! lol. On a serious note though i should be able to pick up a clutch kit relatively cheaply, and i'll certainly report back and let you guys know if it made a difference.

I'm thinking i might still be slightly rich as well, i was going to raise the clip position to 2nd from top to see if that had an affect, would it make that much of a difference though? (I usually ride approx 1300' @ 13 degrees Celsius \ 33 Fahrenheit)

Just to clarify, do you need to pull the clutch, rev to the powerband and release the clutch for the front to lift, or could you just be rolling along in 1st\2nd at low revs and pull WOT for the front to come up?
cornishwrecker220

Post by cornishwrecker220 »

Is your 200 a SR version or Enduro model ? ...we have a mix of both here in the UK ... The SR is a lower state of tune....
mudmonkey

Post by mudmonkey »

I'm pretty sure it's not the sr model. I suppose i could find out from the frame number...?
Last edited by mudmonkey on 03:25 pm Oct 31 2015, edited 1 time in total.
mudmonkey

Post by mudmonkey »

Just checked, my frame number starts dx200h, am i right in thinking the sr models were dx200g?
cornishwrecker220

Post by cornishwrecker220 »

It's easy to spot the SR version....

Metal tank.... Rear foot pegs....smaller carb....just a few to mention .
mudmonkey

Post by mudmonkey »

Ah ok, it's definitely not an sr version then.
gsa102
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by gsa102 »

Your 45 pilot would seem rich to me. I am at similar elevation and my bike is still too rich at 40. Dropping the needle 1 clip to number 2 helped me, but i still need to work at it more.

If you can't raise the idle a lot with just turning the air screw out, you are too rich and need a smaller pilot jet. I did not understand what a "hanging idle" (won't idle down) was until I got a bike that was jetted properly.

Read the jetting guide.
This is my rifle, this is my gun, the YZ to go fast, the KDX is for fun!

96 KDX 200, 09 YZ 250
Julien D
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Julien D »

Also, there is no 156 MJ available from Keihin, so where did that come from? Option sizes in that range are 150, 152, 155, and 158.
mudmonkey

Post by mudmonkey »

Yeah, i realised a 156 MJ wasn't a standard size when i started looking into it, i got it from ebay so i guess it was a cheap knock-off :sad:

I am pretty certain my jetting needs some work, i think i'll drop to a 152 MJ and go from there, i think gsa's right and my pilot's too rich as well so i might drop a size on that as well and see how it goes...
Lakegertrude

Post by Lakegertrude »

I should trade bikes with you, my 99 220 , after rebuilding this past winter is almost more than I can handle, wiseco piston, rb carb and head mods new tusk clutch , and v force reeds and it will literally leap out from under you, with all you have done to the engine that clutch would be the first thing I would do, my 220 was acting just like that when I got it last fall, since I had the motor out of the frame I went ahead and did the clutch as well. I also started using ATF type F in the gear case and the clutch is like butter smooth and it is inexpensive and easy to change regularly, your bike will be a blast when you get it right. I too gained a wealth of info from these guys, good luck and as my wife tells me " you better be careful out there!"