white smoke and lost of coolant? help!

Discussion specific to the 1995 - 2006 KDX200 (H Series) and 1995 - 2005 KDX220R (A Series) models sold in the USA
ride2die128

white smoke and lost of coolant? help!

Post by ride2die128 »

got a 2000 kdx 200, riding it the other day and the coolant in the reservoir disappeared when it was started and a lot of whit dark smoke was coming out of the exhaust ... so i ran it hard and the coolant filled back up into the reservoir and it was fine but when i shut it down it would disappear again and bubble the motor seems like its under a lot of stress and running hot..... i looked in the site glass on the trany and it looks pretty foggy could this also indicate a bad head gasket or crank seal gone bad??? dont want to ride it anymore till i can fix it could it be that the impeller is not working right ???

im lost and help or advice would be greatly appreciated!!!
Julien D
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Re: white smoke and lost of coolant? help!

Post by Julien D »

Probably a bad water pump seal. Although the behavior you not with the reservoir tank is normal. Water expands when heated, reservoir tank fills, as it cools, the tank empties back into the radiators. Water in the trans oil will be a dead giveaway for bad water pump seal.
ride2die128

Post by ride2die128 »

the only think that makes me wonder is that reservoir tank use to stay full when i rode and then i took out again and it start to show the low and full symptom
Julien D
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Julien D »

Any chance you just never noticed it before? That is pretty normal, however bellowing white smoke and milky oil in the trans would be a problem. I'd definitely want to give the water pump a once over. It's accessible from the RH side of the engine. The seal is pressed into the inner clutch cover.
ride2die128

Post by ride2die128 »

ok ill give it a look over! but with me noticing it i would have and it never over flowed and alwayes stayed full but that was before i did a rebuild on it and after... ill look at the seal any clues i should look for once im in there??
6 Riders
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by 6 Riders »

Seems that blowing white smoke would indicate a head gasket.
newbbewb wrote:^what he said.
masterblaster wrote:Man 6 riders you rock.
*side note...I'm drunk, so try to read what I'm trying to say, instead of what I actually type
Julien D
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Julien D »

Indeed, but would not account for the foggy sight glass. Might be multiple issues here. But if it's not really going through coolant, just depleting and refilling the reservoir......