KDX200 drinking fuel

Discussion specific to the 1995 - 2006 KDX200 (H Series) and 1995 - 2005 KDX220R (A Series) models sold in the USA
martin

KDX200 drinking fuel

Post by martin »

Hi all,

I have recently bought myself a 2006 KDX 200. The bike is in really good condition, but I just have one problem.
I have gone out for 2 rides since having the bike and on both occasions I have only managed to get 25-30 miles out of a full tank (including the reserve).
I have inspected the carb and there is no signs of fuel leaking. The main jet is a 160 not sure of the pilot jet and the needle, the circlip is second from the top. The air screw is 2.5 turns out. Im using fuel ration 40:1 fully synthetic castrol 2 stroke.
The odd thing is the bike really runs great, slightly sluggish at low rev but mid to top rev it hauls ass.
The next thing I am wanting to do is check the KIPS and possible give it a proper cleaning.

Any ideas?
Julien D
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Re: KDX200 drinking fuel

Post by Julien D »

160 is huge. Run through the jetting process and see where you end up. No shortcuts!

http://www.kdxrider.net/forums/viewtopi ... 105&t=1156
martin

Post by martin »

I assume the 160 is the stock main jet. I disassembled the carb again today and cleaned and double checked every nut bolt spring etc. All seals look good as well.
I checked the pilot jet, its a 48.
I also looked at the KIPS while the bike was running and it seemed to be sticking slightly so I think I will be taking that apart soon and cleaning that up.Don't think it has ever been cleaned before.

Im going to have to get smaller jets before I try the jetting process again, as I have already done it with the current jets.(160 & 48)
Any suggestions on jets.I see many guys say they running main 155 and pilot 45?
I think this may be a good start point and hopefully the root cause to my problem.
jjavaman
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

KDX200 drinking fuel

Post by jjavaman »

I'm with you, unfortunately two strokes get terrible mileage. Carry extra!
97-220 with a PC pipe. 2015- RB carb and head mod
Julien D
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Julien D »

155/45 is a good starting point, but there is no substitution for actually jetting it. It doesn't take long, and is well worth it. In my experience you should be able to get at least 50 miles out of a full tank.
BigH
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

KDX200 drinking fuel

Post by BigH »

Mine kdx200 was the same way. Plugs were black on chop test. Went through all the basic stuff & it was sucking fuel twice as fast as my kids 250yx 2 stroke. Also it would stall after warming up. The guys suggested i replace the jet base gasket (about 5 bucks from jets r us) No more stall & much better on gas now. Still burns at a higher rate than all the 250 2 strokes i ride with. Too late in the year to jet now due to the weather. Putting a gnarly pipe on this winter. Will jet in the spring. I also have the stock 160/48 jets at 525ft sea level. For all you experts too high?
martin

Post by martin »

Thanks BigH, this seems to be the solution as I have read up on many other forums that guys have experienced the same issue of high fuel consumption.They replace the Jet Block Gasket (jet gase gasket) and fuel consumption seems to get better. I just might struggle to get the part as I live in South Africa and this specialized part may be hard to come by. I might need to order from the states and ship it over here.
Thanks for all the help and advice.
mudmonkey

Post by mudmonkey »

Don't order from the states, it'll cost you a fortune in shipping from jetsrus ($4 part, $25 shipping!!!!). Funnily enough i live in the UK but ordered from South Africa as it was my cheapest option!

Here you go: http://motocomp-online.com/keihin-pwk-p ... asket.html :boogie:
martin

Post by martin »

Thanks, that is exactly were I ordered from...
I seemed to have found the root cause to the heavy fuel consumption.
After removing the card about 20 time I discovered that the fuel line from the tank to the carb had a tiny crack in it. The problem why I never picked it up is it only seemed to leak when the bike was running. The damaged part was underneath the hose clamp on the tank side. Im going to fill the tank this weekend and hopefully get more that 25miles.
Julien D
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Julien D »

Nice find. Let us know how it works out!
6 Riders
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by 6 Riders »

Use this type of fuel line and loose the clamps.....https://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/p/29 ... -Fuel-Line
newbbewb wrote:^what he said.
masterblaster wrote:Man 6 riders you rock.
*side note...I'm drunk, so try to read what I'm trying to say, instead of what I actually type
martin

Post by martin »

After replacing every possible O-ring, cleaning, re-setting float levels, new fuel line & filter, etc I filled the tank to the brim and went for a ride in the forest over the weekend. To no surprise I still only managed to cover a distance of 27miles. I even removed the exhaust and replaced the 2 o-rings to seal nicely to the motor.
Does anyone have any other suggestion for me to try??? Im still running standard jets (pilot 48 main 160) at the coast.
A mate of mine had a KX 250 and he said it might be my tail piece of the exhaust as my tail piece is slightly bent inwards at the very end tip. Could this be the case?
Any other ideas or suggestions?
Julien D
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Julien D »

I doubt a slight bend in the end of the silencer is going to have that much affect. You should be able to get about twice that range. My recommendation, as usual, is to follow the jetting guide. You should be able to safely drop that main jet down to about 155, but without doing the plug chops to be sure, engine damage is always a possibility if you do go too lean.
ohgood
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by ohgood »

put a catch tank (soda bottle) on your overflow lines, and go ride. I bet it's leaking there.

27 miles TO a tank is terrible. you should be able to at least get 20mpg , as I know mine does. some people say 27-30 is possible, but I haven't seen it
6 Riders
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by 6 Riders »

You've got to be leaking fuel.....I'd be ripping everything fuel related off the bike and checking them with a fine tooth comb (even the reeds)!
newbbewb wrote:^what he said.
masterblaster wrote:Man 6 riders you rock.
*side note...I'm drunk, so try to read what I'm trying to say, instead of what I actually type
martin

Post by martin »

I believe I have ripped off every thing fuel related. I even disassembled the petcock valve and replaced all seals there right down to the reeds. I even set the float level down so that there is less chance of fuel to leak out the overflow lines.
I think I need to possible change the jets to a 45 pilot and a 155 main.
I will also try the catch tank idea just to make sure it is def not leaking.
Julien D
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Julien D »

I think jetting is always in order with any bike. Should be one of the first things done, and re-done after every change. Still, I don't really think a 160/48 jetting combo can explain away getting less than 10mpg.
Slick_Nick
Supporting Member

Post by Slick_Nick »

My bet is on the jet block gasket. When mine went my bike was drinking fuel like a sumbitch!
'00 KDX 220R
Julien D
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Julien D »

I had the same thought, Nick, but kind of dismissed it on account of how well he says the bike runs. With a bad jet block gasket it should be sputtering like mad on the low end. But then again, all that fuel has to be going somewhere!
martin

Post by martin »

I have replaced the jet block gasket. As I said, I have replaced every thing. I even blocked the main air inlet into the carb and the outlet to the motor with my hands and blew with my mouth where the needle goes and there was no air leaking. It was like blowing into a sealed container. The only thing I have not done is change the jets. Speaking to some guys at work they think the original jets could have been made bigger by cleaning or drilling it. I will be ordering jets tonight. Will keep you guys updated.

Then another question - If I go leaner should I increase my fuel/oil ration from 40:1 too maybe 32:1 in order to protect the motor?