Idle adjustment screw

Discussion specific to the 1995 - 2006 KDX200 (H Series) and 1995 - 2005 KDX220R (A Series) models sold in the USA
wingnutks

Idle adjustment screw

Post by wingnutks »

I went riding yesterday for the first time in awhile. I noticed once the bike was warmed up, if I let it idle for 10 seconds or so, it would stall. Otherwise the bike ran well, and pulled cleanly. We turned the idle way up and it actually didnt do almost anything to the idle. I cleaned the pilot and main jet tonight and re-installed them. I started the bike up and got it warm and it would idle fine. And if I turned the idle screw in the idle would raise. My buddy (mechanic) told me that very small turns of the idle screw should changed the idle ALOT. He said that if I had to turn the idle screw a full turn to get a decent idle, something else is wrong with the carb. He said with 2-3 turns in from where I am the bike should be "reving to the moon at idle".
Is that right? I know the air screw can have a big effect with small adjustments, but it seems as though even if you turned the idle screw all the way in the bike would never idle "that high".
Tioli
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Idle adjustment screw

Post by Tioli »

I think what your Buddy is referring to is at idle there is no load on the motor so it does not take much for the revs to clime. If you ever had your slide in the carb and watched how much it will lift with just the screw you would not be surprised.

From what I can gather you don't have a problem anymore?
2001 KX125 with a 1997 KDX Tioli Hp motor

My KDX journey starts at the bottom of this page:
http://www.trials.com.au/forum/viewtopi ... &start=160

Trials.com.au / Forum / All about...me! / My long time friend the prancing horse / page 9
wingnutks

Re: Idle adjustment screw

Post by wingnutks »

Im not sure if I have a problem. I do know that the adjustment screw is working, but going 3 turns in on it doesnt make it rev to the sky.
Tioli
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Idle adjustment screw

Post by Tioli »

Ok then in this case maybe it doesn't. As long as you have a little free play in the cable and you can adjust the slide to idle then your dun for that issue.

Trials.com.au / Forum / All about...me! / My long time friend the prancing horse / page 9
wingnutks

Re: Idle adjustment screw

Post by wingnutks »

Also, the other thing is, when you insert the idle screw it might take 12-15 turns to get it to bottom out, but I am guessing only 2-3 of those turns actually effect the idle.... am I right on that?
Tioli
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Idle adjustment screw

Post by Tioli »

Sorry someone else may know but I personaly dont.

As a general rule with carbs they work at some point and if not have a look why not. Mine worked when I set it to where I want it and looked no further.

You may be over thinking a part thats only job is to hold the slide open enough to let it idle. I personaly set mine to idle low. from what i see on utube most have thers higher. Both are a turn or so apart depending on how fine that make/model tread is.