Woods pipe, or RB carb mods? Best for low end torque?

Discussion specific to the 1995 - 2006 KDX200 (H Series) and 1995 - 2005 KDX220R (A Series) models sold in the USA
19Delta
Supporting Member

Post by 19Delta »

Hey guys, I ride trials, and am just starting to ride enduro. I love the 03 KDX 200 I have. It's all stock. Went riding last week on some very tight technical stuff (Northern Indiana woods riding). Lots of small hills restricted by trees to keep speed low, log hopping, etc. Bike did great, but I wished a few times it had more low end grunt. I killed it a couple times when it was bogged way down low in 1st trying to get up a hill while trying to keep the front wheel down. I already have it down one tooth on the front sprocket.

I have been doing a ton of reading on here and love all the info.

The bike is great enough the way she runs, so I don't see me spending $$$ on both a pipe and the RB carb mods. But I will likely do one or the other. Which one is going to get me the best low end grunt of a four stroke like power? I am fine with the mid and topend pull. Carb is jetted correctly, and runs smooth from idle to rip.

Another question is, the RB site says they intall a "divider plate". Is that something I can buy and add myself? (I haven't searched that particular topic yet)
Julien D
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Re: Woods pipe, or RB carb mods? Best for low end torque?

Post by Julien D »

The divider plate installed with RB mods is needed because of the increased bore size of the carb. It's a pretty useless addition without the larger bore. Ideally you will want an aftermarket pipe to take full advantage of the larger carb size provided by the RB modded carb, so I would say get the pipe first. Do the RB mods at a later date, they really are worth the money. I wouldn't bother with that using the stock pipe though.
spl383
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by spl383 »

I agree with Julien D. I would also do a pipe first. Also I would put a set of boyseen reeds in they will help, and they are only like $25. Not sure how much just doing the carb would help, most send in the carb and the head.
cornishwrecker220

Post by cornishwrecker220 »

Boyesen rad valve will give you some useful bottom/mid range torque.....combine this with a FMF `woods` pipe & 47/48 tooth rear sprocket & you will see a big improvement ....if you want more of everything everywhere then go for a head & port job with the carb modded too . :supz:
Tioli
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by Tioli »

My 2c worth:

Wake that baby up you only live once!
Flick the lid off the air box
Gat a funnel web air cleaner
RB carb with asseserieasse and tell him you have:
VFORCE reeds
Woods pipe
Full advance
Cleaned up the ports like Tioli (see signature)
Then tell him you want bottom end and have your head done at the same time.

It's a start and that knurled knot of RB's is a pleasure to adjust. Get it firing sharp and low.
2001 KX125 with a 1997 KDX Tioli Hp motor

My KDX journey starts at the bottom of this page:
http://www.trials.com.au/forum/viewtopi ... &start=160

Trials.com.au / Forum / All about...me! / My long time friend the prancing horse / page 9
19Delta
Supporting Member

Post by 19Delta »

Thanks guys! I'll start with a pipe and reeds. I keep hearing about the fmf gnarly pipe... Is that the one I want for low end grunt, or is there better options? Best place to buy?

Best reeds? Best place to buy?

Thanks a bunch! I appreciate the help and knowledge. Like I said, I'm a trials guy. I'm a total newb to enduro!
Julien D
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Julien D »

The FMF comes in two flavors, woods and desert. You want the woods pipe if you're after low end grunt.
spl383
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by spl383 »

Or get the pro circuit for more all around power
spl383
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by spl383 »

19Delta wrote:Thanks guys! I'll start with a pipe and reeds. I keep hearing about the fmf gnarly pipe... Is that the one I want for low end grunt, or is there better options? Best place to buy?

Best reeds? Best place to buy?

Thanks a bunch! I appreciate the help and knowledge. Like I said, I'm a trials guy. I'm a total newb to enduro!
I usually buy from amazon since I have a prime account