2005 kdx200h first and second gear responce

Discussion specific to the 1995 - 2006 KDX200 (H Series) and 1995 - 2005 KDX220R (A Series) models sold in the USA
james

Post by james »

can anyone give me some things to check regarding the rather flat response i am getting in first and second gear on my bike??
once it hits 3rd it flies!
everything is stock on the bike and i haven't checked the jet's yet!!
YOU CAN MASSAGE THE THANKS BUTTON THANKS!!!!
6 Riders
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: 2005 kdx200h first and second gear responce

Post by 6 Riders »

If jetting is OK, then you are experiencing the KDXs low gearing. When I first got my KDX I hated the gearing and jumped the front sprocket up a tooth. I have reconsidered this though and think a 14/50 combo is best for these bikes, just don't use first gear....at all.
I am racing on an MX track and want the instant throttle "hit" though.
newbbewb wrote:^what he said.
masterblaster wrote:Man 6 riders you rock.
*side note...I'm drunk, so try to read what I'm trying to say, instead of what I actually type
argclh6670
Supporting Member

Post by argclh6670 »

james wrote:can anyone give me some things to check regarding the rather flat response i am getting in first and second gear on my bike??
once it hits 3rd it flies!
everything is stock on the bike and i haven't checked the jet's yet!!
my kids 95 is the same way...1st n 2nd suck....but 3rd n up it rips. Almost feels like theres something wrong!! Did you ever change gearing such as 6 suggested? Stock gearing too. Maybe 6 is on to something!!??
ohgood
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by ohgood »

First and second are very short at 13/47. I like the trials-bike grunt of it for crawling, but honestly I tried

15 /48

and found this to be my favorite. This ratio forces the rider to choose between a LITTLE BIT MORE clutch usage in the nasty stuff (seriously, instead of 3 seconds of total slipping all day, it's 5, not much difference in 4hours of riding!) and the first side benefits are:

1 I carry more speed over obstacles instead of relying on the crawling ability of the lwoer gearing
2 i don't have to micro-manage the throttle or clutch to control traction, just let the taller gearing (and less torque) prevent wheelspin
3 1 effects 2 also, since there is more speed carried, there is less on/off throttle, and less spinning up of the rear in slick conditions

BUT, I'm a slow rider, if I were to race I'd be a C class scrambler IF the conditions were absolutely perfect, and was 110% on my game, and KNEW EVERY TURN OF THE TRAILS from riding them all summer long. For a fast guy, he may want to gear to set 3rd up as the most used range of the day.

A friend of mine who is faster than me (hey mulley) said he gears the bike for third gear to be the most used during a race. It seems to work pretty good, but I'm no expert, just passing on my own experiences. :)

The best part of all of this: it takes two minutes to change from 13/14/15 and try it out. Give it a shot on your favorite trail and see what you think. Don't let the nano second of extra clutch slipping to get you moving change your mind, it's everything AFTER you're moving in second that mattes ;-)

Report back too :)
Tioli
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by Tioli »

I agree with ohgood,s reasoning and swapping your front sprockets is minimal difference on chain length, cost but maximum benefit.
2001 KX125 with a 1997 KDX Tioli Hp motor

My KDX journey starts at the bottom of this page:
http://www.trials.com.au/forum/viewtopi ... &start=160

Trials.com.au / Forum / All about...me! / My long time friend the prancing horse / page 9
james

Post by james »

how does it take only 2 minutes to change a front sprocket???
details please??? :?
james

Post by james »

so let me just recap and clarify ! the less teeth i have in front the better the bottom end and one or two extra will improve mid to top end???
i was running 13/48 now 14/48 so this will effect my bottom end???
Silverfox

Post by Silverfox »

Yes, with 14 on the front your gears will be slightly taller.