eats too much gas & stalls after warming up

Discussion specific to the 1995 - 2006 KDX200 (H Series) and 1995 - 2005 KDX220R (A Series) models sold in the USA
BigH
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

eats too much gas & stalls after warming up

Post by BigH »

Have a 2005 kdx200. Has #160-#48 stock jetting. I ride with all 250 motorcrossers that have 2 gallon tanks as opposed to the kdx200 with nearlly 3 gallons. When they reach around 1/2 tank i am @ less than a 1/4 with the smaller engine?? It is a real problem on longer rides (you can only carry so much extra fuel). I have checked boysen reeds, cleaned carb, checked compression, repacked silencer, all checks were good. i have a stock pipe with a pro circuit silencer. The air box is open. It stalls after getting hot when u stop. The idle screw doesnt help when it starts stalling. Tried to jet myself it seemed to crackle @ low end (1st & 2nd) ok through 3rd through 6th (followed Julians post on jetting). Its hard to tell no experience in jetting & no other kdx to compre to. Plug looks rich but shouldnt be with air box open correct? plus it's chewing gas. Finally took to the shop who said carb was filthy. My bad after cleaning carb forgot to tighten clamp o :mad: n intake boot after 1st ride. Said he did a chop test but dont believe him. plug looks rich. Going to do my own today. Have seen posts on jet body O ring. Could this be the coulprit? Where do u buy a torx security bit? The shop guy said he soaked carb overnight. i did clean & check all adjustments in carb. Now he says i may need a device for the flywheel to make it stop stalling? Gut feeling is he is on the wrong track. running 40:1. Whatta think??
Julien D
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Re: eats too much gas & stalls after warming up

Post by Julien D »

I would definitely lean towards a leaking jet block gasket/oring/thingie. Pretty cheap to buy and easy to swap out. Absolutely worth a shot before you spend too much time banging your head on a wall!
KDXohio
Supporting Member

Post by KDXohio »

+1 on the jet block gasket especially knowing it was soaked. You can get the security bits at lowes kobalt has a couple nice sets or harbor freight if its something you wont use much.
1990 KDX200 FMF Fatty, Answer VFC silencer, VForce 3 Cage, Wiseco Piston, KX125-J series KYB USD fork conversion, Race tech goldvalves, J series front brake assembly, air-box snorkel removed, Acerbis Headlight, KX450F Front fender, Pro Taper RM bend bars, ASV front Brake lever, MSR Clutch perch and lever, RB Head mod, 36mm PWK carb, Trail Tech Kickstand.
BigH
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by BigH »

Thanks give it a shot. Let you know. BigH
Julien D
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Julien D »

I just used a small punch to break off the little center for the security torx, and was then able to use a regular bit to remove the jet block.
Tedh98
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by Tedh98 »

Julien D wrote:I just used a small punch to break off the little center for the security torx, and was then able to use a regular bit to remove the jet block.
I never thought of that, good idea. I ground the center post out with a dremel.
Jaguar
Supporting Member

Post by Jaguar »

opening up the airbox makes it run leaner, but not lean enough in your case.
sounds like you need a different pilot jet also.
Performance CDI -- KDX motocross mods -- the SR KDX -- expansion chamber analysis---> http://www.dragonfly75.com/moto/
C George
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by C George »

Whats the baseline most of us are using ? 155 / 42
05 KDX-220R / 06 KDX-225R / Maxima 927 / Millenium Tech / Ron Black / PC , FMF / Many 220 engine mods / 40 + yrs. of riding dirt bikes 🤟🤟
KDXohio
Supporting Member

Post by KDXohio »

C George wrote:Whats the baseline most of us are using ? 155 / 42
Im at 155 / 45 at around 700ft above sea level
1990 KDX200 FMF Fatty, Answer VFC silencer, VForce 3 Cage, Wiseco Piston, KX125-J series KYB USD fork conversion, Race tech goldvalves, J series front brake assembly, air-box snorkel removed, Acerbis Headlight, KX450F Front fender, Pro Taper RM bend bars, ASV front Brake lever, MSR Clutch perch and lever, RB Head mod, 36mm PWK carb, Trail Tech Kickstand.
BigH
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by BigH »

Jet block gasket deffinetly fixed stalling problem. Thanks, Jullian & everyone else!