adapt rear E hub to H disk

Discussion specific to the 1995 - 2006 KDX200 (H Series) and 1995 - 2005 KDX220R (A Series) models sold in the USA
ohgood
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by ohgood »

I have a parts E bike with good wheels, good sprocket, good tires, but no brake disk. brake disks are getting rarer (used ones) and are expensive new, so I decided to check if the E rear hub could be adapted to the H disk.

The bolt pattern, rotor size, and hub register are all the same. The only difference is the bolt size. On the E hub, it's much smaller of a bolt: (E hub, but H bolt shown)
(you can see damage to the hub's face where i had to use a sharp punch to remove the broken screws that were corroded in. always always always either use anti-sieze OR loctite, to keep the threads clean!)

not only would it open up more parts, but I would have ONE hub to buy for instead of two. parts interchangeability is a BIG thing for me, and doing this also means everything from the E rear wheel can now be swapped to the H, if the need arises.

1 buy a quality 1/4" drill
2 buy a quality 1.25-8 tap
3 lay your H rotor on the E hub to ensure the holes line up
4 remove rotor, and use the E threaded holes as a template and drill right through, taking care to be perpendicular to the hubs surface, and lightly countersink each

5 tap the first hole, careful to keep the tap perpendicular to the hubs surface. you can use anything that is square to check two sides of the tap, 90 degrees from each other, as you start the tap
(i didn't take many pictures, since my hands were gloved and covered with grease/alu shavings, and muck, sorry)

put a glob of grease on the bearing and you won't have to worry about shavings after tapping

because you can pull a rag through from the other side and clear out all the grease / shavings at once.

6 lay the rotor on the hub and tighten the first bolt, then clamp the opposite side so it lays flat. now you have a smooth surface to check for perpendicular.
7 tap each remaining hole, and place each H bolt in as you go
8 remove all bolts, clean holes and bolts, apply loctite, and torque to something or other ft lbs.
8 mark each bolt head with paint pen, for a quick visual check that things are still tight.
9 ride.

now when you need a new rotor your options are greater, cheaper, and swap with your newer H wheels without issue.

Off to my favorite log hoppin spot for a test ride:

and don't forget to periodically check the bolt heads for tightness. oh, yes, quick and easy with those paint pen marks !

:)
TheRadBaron
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by TheRadBaron »

Thanks for this info. This is really useful to know. I'm in the market for new rotors for my E and was running into the same problems. I didn't know what the difference between the rotors was so this is a big help. Cheers.
6 Riders
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: adapt rear E hub to H disk

Post by 6 Riders »

RMATV sells E series rotors for $60 a each. They are listed for the 93/94 bikes. I don't know if they fit older bikes, pretty sure I have them on H wheels though.
newbbewb wrote:^what he said.
masterblaster wrote:Man 6 riders you rock.
*side note...I'm drunk, so try to read what I'm trying to say, instead of what I actually type
ohgood
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by ohgood »

6 Riders wrote:RMATV sells E series rotors for $60 a each. They are listed for the 93/94 bikes. I don't know if they fit older bikes, pretty sure I have them on H wheels though.
you have E rotors on H hubs ? hmm, the bolt size was a fairly large difference from that I saw, I wonder if you could pull one and snap a picture next to a quarter ?
6 Riders
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by 6 Riders »

ohgood wrote:
6 Riders wrote:RMATV sells E series rotors for $60 a each. They are listed for the 93/94 bikes. I don't know if they fit older bikes, pretty sure I have them on H wheels though.
you have E rotors on H hubs ? hmm, the bolt size was a fairly large difference from that I saw, I wonder if you could pull one and snap a picture next to a quarter ?
You are right....I had the E rotors on the E hubs, but the E hubs on the H bike (I just went into the garage to check the rotors against my spare wheels). SO now I have to go and check which hubs I had powder coated... :rolleyes: .
newbbewb wrote:^what he said.
masterblaster wrote:Man 6 riders you rock.
*side note...I'm drunk, so try to read what I'm trying to say, instead of what I actually type