1995 KDX200 rebuild thread.

Discussion specific to the 1995 - 2006 KDX200 (H Series) and 1995 - 2005 KDX220R (A Series) models sold in the USA
6 Riders
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by 6 Riders »

Here's my story and I'm sticking to it! :twisted:
So, my bike was due for new swing arm bearings, so I tore into it to replace them. Well, my wife recently got an 07 CRF150RB, then shortly after a recluse clutch and flywheel weight for it. Then my oldest got his 01 KDX220, bone stock (but I'm working on that), and right after words my 3rd boy gets a brand new CRF110.....Then #2 get info that he also has a KDX220 waiting for him when he is ready..... :rolleyes: So bike jealousy sets in and I want a new or newer bike :busted: ! Of course it's out of the budget right now, so with my swing arm removed and the bike looking pretty tore down, and wore down for that matter, I talk my wife into "letting" me do a frame up on it.
Bike get's tore down to parts, with the exception of the motor, which is still intact. Found a problem with my 93 KDX200 hubs, so new hubs where going to be needed....LUCKILY I scored some older KX, complete wheels, both for less than $60 shipped :boogie: . Since I was doing the whole bike, the KDX and KX wheels where completely torn down, with the idea of using the KDX Tagasko rims on the KX hubs (same PN btw). Next the frame, swing arm, hubs and rims head to the powder coater. I have had a front end, off of a 95 RM250 sitting in my garage waiting for me to get my stuff together, so the triples went to the machinist (forks need to go to the builder still, but that has to wait). I believe the new triple tree set up is waiting for me to go pick it up, but that will come later this week. With the heat here so high, the powder coater wasn't in a big hurry to get everything going, since the powder turns to a brick if it gets to hot (shipping time issue). He FINALLY got my parts off to sandblasting and returned to him. PIC>>>>>
That's my frame and rims sitting there. The paint should have been sprayed and baked today, so as soon as the swing arm and wheels get done, I'll pick them up.
Next step is to have the wheels reassembled with new spokes and we are going to "wrap" them in a black shrink tube. Then the bike gets bearing set, the forks off to the builder and everything slowly reassembled. I am about $100 into misc small parts needed for the frame and another $150 in other parts, like bearings, new number plates, new bolts for the side stand etc. I still need to get new bars, over sized bar mounts, levers, bark busters, a better, err, more preferred skid plate, tires (I swear that the tires that I want will NEVER be in stock) and other goodies.
I'll only mess with the motor IF OT at work keeps up for the next 6 weeks, or if other stuff comes in under budget. I'm thinking about an EG 225 kit and RB rebuilt carb for this bike. But that part is on the back burner as of right now. I figure, in just the cost of this rebuild (not including the bike itself), I will be into it about 2X what it will be worth. BUT, this should give me a "nice" bike to ride for a few more years.

I'll try to keep the thread updated as progress is made. :supz:
I hope to keep the posts and pictures current through the process.
newbbewb wrote:^what he said.
masterblaster wrote:Man 6 riders you rock.
*side note...I'm drunk, so try to read what I'm trying to say, instead of what I actually type
6 Riders
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: 1995 KDX200 rebuild thread.

Post by 6 Riders »

So, my Boyesen Rad Valve showed up today. Only took 3 days to get across the country....Damn good! They did however forget to ship my extra carb boot that I need for my other KDX :naughty: .
I paid $98 + $11 in shipping and look what I actually got :grin:
Here's the box from the box....

Here's a picture of the Rad Valve.....

:supz: Hellyeah! Friggin Carbon reeds on this bad boy :busted:
*side note...I'm drunk, so try to read what I'm trying to say, instead of what I actually type
s10gto
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by s10gto »

Sweet! Nice score! She is going to be beautiful.

A few more years you say.....ya like 20! It's a KDX after all :mrgreen:
6 Riders
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by 6 Riders »

s10gto wrote:Sweet! Nice score! She is going to be beautiful.

A few more years you say.....ya like 20! It's a KDX after all :mrgreen:
I doubt if I replaced either of my bikes, that I would sell them.....With 4 boys, we are always in need of another bike as they grow......Geeze I'm at 4 DXs now. 2-200s and 2-220s....This one will be the best one though...Can't let my kids out run me :twisted:
Tioli
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by Tioli »

Hi 6 Riders
If you haven't put that radvalv in yet ant chance of posting some pics of what they look like inside?
2001 KX125 with a 1997 KDX Tioli Hp motor

My KDX journey starts at the bottom of this page:
http://www.trials.com.au/forum/viewtopi ... &start=160

Trials.com.au / Forum / All about...me! / My long time friend the prancing horse / page 9
6 Riders
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by 6 Riders »

Inside the valve?
Tioli
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by Tioli »

Yes please. To be more precise the next time I have my VFORCE out I want to make some changes to them and would like to cross reference what the radvalve is up to.

If you can take a picture of the inside I am particularly interested in the end tip of the petal and the surface it sits on. Just hold it open and take a picture from the outside and inside.

The petals usually sit/lay against a 1 to 2mm rubberised surface. There is usually room for improvement in the way the resting area is shaped. I have found this with normal reeds and GP bike reeds. The problem is my thinking is old and possible obsolete. Having said that I can't help but make a change if I see it and the VFORCE design is asking for it so a little squiz at how the rad valv deals with the very tip would be nice

If it's a problem that's fine
Thank you

Trials.com.au / Forum / All about...me! / My long time friend the prancing horse / page 9
6 Riders
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by 6 Riders »

So...I GOT MY PARTS BACK :boogie: ! The frame, swing arm, rims and hubs all came back to me today...while at work and on lunch (that sucked).....I'm getting her going back together on Thursday......Here's some picts......

Oh yeah, I also got a big box of boring OEM parts and made another order at RMATV.....I'm rebuilding my son's forks and had the wrong seals, so I "needed" to place another $100 order...for free shipping of course :mrgreen:
firffighter
Supporting Member

Post by firffighter »

Looking good! Fun project.
'
6 Riders
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by 6 Riders »

firffighter wrote:Looking good! Fun project.
Fun...and EXPENSIVE! Still cheaper than a new bike though....
Did you know that all those little nuts and bolts and dampers etc. cost a :blink: load of money when you need 3, 4, 6, or 10 of each?..... :kick:
6 Riders
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by 6 Riders »

After being on vacation for a week...out riding of course....I finally got some work done on the bike. The triple tree is now complete, so I test fitted the forks and front rim. Forks still have to go to the builder to get them "just right" for this bike, but I left them on while doing some assembly work.

My tires of choice finally came into stock, so they got ordered on Wednesday...the front showed up Thursday and the 2 rears will be here at the end of next week. Also picked up a Tubliss for the rear. Can't wait for the wheels to be done now...
KDXohio
Supporting Member

Post by KDXohio »

Following
1990 KDX200 FMF Fatty, Answer VFC silencer, VForce 3 Cage, Wiseco Piston, KX125-J series KYB USD fork conversion, Race tech goldvalves, J series front brake assembly, air-box snorkel removed, Acerbis Headlight, KX450F Front fender, Pro Taper RM bend bars, ASV front Brake lever, MSR Clutch perch and lever, RB Head mod, 36mm PWK carb, Trail Tech Kickstand.
6 Riders
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by 6 Riders »

Well, went back to 6 day work weeks and on Swing Shift to boot :vom: , So not much getting done. I ordered the wrap for the spokes, have the hand guards ready to go. The motor is in and most of the bike assembled, but not torqued down. I will be taking the forks to the builder tomorrow (today and tomorrow are my days off) and start torquing and running the wires after that. Oh and I need to go get my busted trailer, burned a spindle on the axle, so I need a new axle.

These did show up today.....

What do you think?
6 Riders
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by 6 Riders »

Ok, so I took the forks in for a full rebuild/valve and 3/4" lowering. Figure this is going to set me back $300.....but I'm "making" my wife pay for it for my "fathers day gift" :please: ........We'll see how that goes. The BAU shrouds will get stripped of their stickers.....the shrouds are in perfect (like new) condition otherwise and only cost me $10 on E-bay (yes including shipping).
I did run into another money issue today.....My little light weight 3 rail is toast. Or at least not worth the cost of repairing. So, I am on the hunt for a new trailer. I'm thinking a 4X7 with ramp for $500 (brand new). It has a mesh floor, but I'll throw the 5/8 ply from my (now defunct) 3 rail onto it...or just get a new piece of ply and do it all over again. Since I'm almost at the end of spending money on the KDX and my wife might have to tow the small trailer to races this winter, I figure that is the best option.
:evil: of course I hate the color of the handle bars that I bought, so I need (read: want) a new set, and I need (read: WANT) a tire changing stand....I better get some more OT for the next 6 weeks....
Sullyfam
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Sullyfam »

You should run the shrouds as is! Now there's a statement!

Now sure what the statement actually is though [emoji33]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
6 Riders
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by 6 Riders »

OK, an update......I haven't done much with the bike....I had my 3 rail throw a spindle, while we where out camping and towing bikes :blink: .....So that has kept me occupied a little. Thankfully I was able to take it apart and throw the trailer in the back of my van to get it home (2 weeks later). So I have that disassembled in my driveway, waiting to be rebuilt (I need it for race season starting Oct 11th). I did spend more money on parts and a tire changing stand....If you don't have one of those, you got to get one. I bought the Tusk unit, while RMATV was having a 10% off Tusk stuff sale. This thing is slick and I will be getting good use out of it.
So, the bike....I've been waiting for some heat shrink tubing to show up, so my wheels can be built. The shrink tube is going to coat the spokes, should look awesome. The forks are at the builder, I got a bunch more "small parts" as well. I also scored this http://www.ebay.com/itm/371425207981?_t ... EBIDX%3AIT for the forks....I couldn't believe that I even found one, more or less a new one! I also got my 3 tires in and a tubliss for the rear.....I haven't decided which wheel will get the tubliss, but I think I'm gonna like it. I still need graphics, a green front fender for a 95 Zuke :please: , a Maier MX style rear fender, a new skid plate, but I might just swap the skids I have between bikes (if I can get the one off of the 93). My side stand is also a POS...err in bad shape, I'm gonna see what it costs to have one made.
I'm sure I'm missing something else...
I can't wait to get the forks and wheels back :busted: so I can get this ride rolling. I might be racing the 93 in October....or maybe I'll just steal the forks off of it again.....not sure which.
6 Riders
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by 6 Riders »

OK, OK,....I have a REAL update. After riding a 70+ mile poker run and getting a flat, I (tonight) mounted a Tubliss on that bike....And did some work on the 95 KDX....LOOK, it's almost a motorcycle!
I am waiting for the wheels and the forks to be built (there is a fork that I bought for parts in the tree for the picture). I did score a NIB Answer/ Pro Taper upper triple for the RM forks :supz: . I'm glad I spent the $$ on those. The bars that I bought (Carmichael bend) are to low for the triple though. So, I will be swapping bars between the bikes. I'll use the black Windham bend bars on this bike and the (ugly) blue (platinum grey) bars on the 93. This actually should work out well as the Windham bars are a tad too tall with the adapters and the Carmichael's are a tad short without.
I torques everything down and finished installing the radiator hoses. Those are cheapies from E-bay, but look sweet and match the frame color.
It's looking like the forks and wheels won't be done before our first race (Oct 11th), so I will run the front end and wheels form the 93, if that is the case.
I need to have some "stickers" made to advertise my wheel builder, I'm having trouble designing the graphics, so this is taking forever! I'm also thinking about having a "plate" made to cover up the stock taillight mounting hole. I like the KDX rear fender, but I don't need the light.
I also want a new seat cover, any input on colors for this? I was thinking green lower and black upper with green "ribs" across the seat (upper part)...but I'm not sure.
6 Riders
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by 6 Riders »

Well......looky what I saw :shock:

Looks like the wheels will be done tomorrow. Just waiting on forks so I can build spacers for the front wheel. :supz:

I'll probably have to use the forks from the '93 for the first race this year.

Who know a good custom graphics company?
Tioli
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by Tioli »

The black spoke covers work well with those colours.

6 Riders
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by 6 Riders »

Tioli wrote:The black spoke covers work well with those colours.
That was the plan.

These wheels are worth quite a bit....Complete re-spoke with #6 spokes and the wrap....That isn't the spoke straw thingies, the spokes were "wrapped" before being assembled.

I brought both wheels home last night. So those are done. :boogie: