Float height issues. PLEASE HELP!

Discussion specific to the 1995 - 2006 KDX200 (H Series) and 1995 - 2005 KDX220R (A Series) models sold in the USA
mixingas
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by mixingas »

Alright guys, I'm scratching my head on this one. I received a 1996 KDX 200 for free. Yes you read that correctly, free. It is actually in pretty decent shape too. I'm pretty mechanically inclined and I have gone through the entire bike and gotten it running and riding pretty decent and have taken it out numerous times. However, I have noticed that it runs slighty rich as it bogs down on the low end more than it should and my air screw is too far out and I get more splooge than I should. I wanted to know the exact fuel level in the carb so I ordered an extra drain plug, tapped a hose nipple on it and attached a clear hose to it. I ran the clear hose up the side of the carb, opened the pet cock, and as suspected, the fuel level is too high. It is well over the mating surface but not quite to the point where it comes out of the overflow. Simple right, all i need to do is adjust the tang so that it lowers the level. WRONG. the float is nearly out of adjustment, I got the fuel level to come down slightly, but not enough. If i bend tang anymore it is so far out of adjustment that it wont let any fuel into the carb. MY options are no fuel coming in, or a fuel level that is too high and nothing between. I checked the needle and the needle seat and it looks to be in great shape. plus, if i take the bowl off, turn the petcock on, and lift up on the float, it shuts off the fuel as soon as the needle seats and before the spring compresses, just as it should. plus I would suspect that if I had a bad needle, the fuel level would keep rising until it overflows. My fuel level actually stops and stays at one spot. So my next guess would be the float is leaking. I cannot hear any fuel sloshing around inside the float and I have completely submerged the float under water for extended periods of time and it does not sink or bubble. If I set the float parrallell to the mating surface (using the blowing through the tub technique) the bike runs extremely rich and overflows out of the overflow tub. I am stumped. Please help!
mixingas
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by mixingas »

My only explanation is that the float is leaking or it is the incorrect float. It really appears to be the correct float as it looks identical to the ones in pictures on the web and it fits the inside of the bowl perfectly with the cut outs and what not. if its leaking, wouldnt my float sink and my fuel level continue to rise until it overflows and keeps overflowing? or is it possible that is is leaking and some air gets trapped inside and my float will float, just not at the proper level it should? is submerging it in water not a good test?
bufftester
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Re: Float height issues. PLEASE HELP!

Post by bufftester »

Is it possible the float got bent out of shape? Beyond that it is puzzling. The fuel height should be 0-2mm from the mating surface IIRC. You are checking the heights with the carb off the bike and vertical to the ground right?
ohgood
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by ohgood »

i wonder if the JET BLOCK gasket could effect your float height indicators (clear tube) ?

i wonder if you've pressure tested (blow on it) the float needle's sealing strength to make sure it's sealing strongly, and not just partially ?
mixingas
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by mixingas »

Yes, I am checking the heights with the carb off the bike and vertical to the ground. I don't think it is possible the float is that bent out of shape. And ohgood, I'm not sure if I follow you on the jet block gasket issue. I dont think my tapped hose nipple is affecting anything because I put the old plug on the bike to run it and it is clealry rich. And yes, I have blown on the tube to test the needles sealing strength, and I have hooked it up to the petcock with a full tank and the needle shuts the fuel completely off as soon as it seats. Thanks for the input guys. I think I will order a new float simply because I am lost at what else it could be
canamfan
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by canamfan »

I'd get a new float and needle and seat, might be worn more then you think.
budpat105

Post by budpat105 »

Did you find your problem? I need to check my float height as I replaced my jet block gasket with no change to my problems. What size hose nipple did you install? Thanks