top end how to

Discussion specific to the 1995 - 2006 KDX200 (H Series) and 1995 - 2005 KDX220R (A Series) models sold in the USA
actmobmar
Supporting Member

top end how to

Post by actmobmar »

hi, i just bought an 01 kdx200, and want to pull the jug and check everything, is there a how to with torque specs on how to do the job? i am a mechanic by trade, so not fearful of doing the job, just primarily concerned about the kips. engine has 95 psi compression(per the previous owner, i will double check before dissassembly) thanks!
Julien D
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Re: top end how to

Post by Julien D »

There are some threads here with a few pics and such, but no step by step with torque values and all. It would be a great idea to go ahead and pick up a service manual for your bike. Best money you'll ever spend aside from the initial purchase of your green machine. This is a good one. You can just purchase 1 year access for 19.99, and make sure you have it all printed out by the time your year is up.

http://www.cyclepedia.com/online-manual ... ice-guide/

Welcome to KDXRIDER!
actmobmar
Supporting Member

top end how to

Post by actmobmar »

thanks for your help! i just checked the compression my self and it is around 140, which i happily assume is good!
Julien D
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Julien D »

Yessir, 140 is just fine. Never a bad idea to open up a new to you bike and check it out, though!
Keystone
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Keystone »

I'm mot a mechanic and tore the top end apart and rebuilt it by using the Kawasaki service manual and checking in on this site a few times about the KIPS. Cyclepedia did not impress me, more colorful photos than the service manual, but not much else.
ohgood
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by ohgood »

actmobmar wrote:hi, i just bought an 01 kdx200, and want to pull the jug and check everything, is there a how to with torque specs on how to do the job? i am a mechanic by trade, so not fearful of doing the job, just primarily concerned about the kips. engine has 95 psi compression(per the previous owner, i will double check before dissassembly) thanks!
kips is easy... pull the pawl off first (it's nut is left hand thread) then the rest you'll understand once is in your hands...

see the left hand threaded but here:

koshari

Post by koshari »

I was gonna comment on the LH thread but ohGoods all over it.
Last edited by koshari on 06:33 pm Jun 17 2015, edited 1 time in total.
ohgood
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by ohgood »

koshari wrote:I was gonna comment on the LH thread but ohGoods all ovwr it.
please do anyway... all of this is new to me and I'm green green green... tend to miss things lately.
koshari

Post by koshari »

in other words conventionally turning the bolt counter clockwise to loosen will actually tighten this bolt.
Tioli
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

top end how to

Post by Tioli »

But hey don't forget to mention the suckernubi trap. If you don't pul the rubber boot halfway down and hold the shaft with a spanner its gonna bite you :doh:

Edit
Ok looks like my joke fell flat
What I ment if if you don't support the shaft while undoing it and you twist it either way there is a good chance you will end up breaking a little transfer leaver in the cases.
2001 KX125 with a 1997 KDX Tioli Hp motor

My KDX journey starts at the bottom of this page:
http://www.trials.com.au/forum/viewtopi ... &start=160

Trials.com.au / Forum / All about...me! / My long time friend the prancing horse / page 9