I decided to powder coat her, what color?

Discussion specific to the 1995 - 2006 KDX200 (H Series) and 1995 - 2005 KDX220R (A Series) models sold in the USA
6 Riders
Gold Member
Gold Member

I decided to powder coat her, what color?

Post by 6 Riders »

Well, my 95 200 is (was) looking a little rough around the edges and needs new swing arm bearings....AND I got a wild hair....well, I'm sure you know where :shh: .
I tore the whole bike down and am going to get some color done. Bike has green tank, green plastic and white # plates. I am doing; Hubs, Rims, Swing Arm, rear spring and Frame. Also, while I'm at it.....I am having an RM fork conversion done as well. Once the bike is re-assembled I'll consider a new set of graphics, but I want to see the colors all together before I decide on a graphics kit.

Oh, and yes I've run into a couple problems. The rear hub from my 93 is a little long in the tooth, as well as a wheel that I bought for a "spare", so I had to search for new hubs/wheels :vom:
I did acquire 2 KX 125 complete wheels for $35 and $40 each (you can see why I bought them both) :supz: . These hubs and the 18" KDX rims will get color and be put back together with colored spokes.

Now, let me hear the color combos!
newbbewb wrote:^what he said.
masterblaster wrote:Man 6 riders you rock.
*side note...I'm drunk, so try to read what I'm trying to say, instead of what I actually type
newbbewb
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Re: I decided to powder coat her, what color?

Post by newbbewb »

I wish I had pictures of my old 93 I'm putting back together. Powdercoated in semi gloss black: frame, swingarm, triples, hubs, subframe, and engine. green plastics except blue radiator shrouds, blue inverted forks, black a60 wheels, black seat cover....

man, I'm tired of the hybrid, can't wait to ride the kdx again.
93 kdx200-Highly modified
89 kx125/kdx200E engine
Buelldustin@gmail.com
6 Riders
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by 6 Riders »

Dropped the parts off at the painter today. I will be doing "Racer Green" frame and hubs with a brass/gold color on the swingarm and rims. One of the wheels that I bought was actually in great shape, the other has plenty of rust so it will take some work to get it all taken apart and cleaned up. My riding buddy and long time friend is a wheel smith, his dad is a machinist (and Weisco/Exel distributer). I am using the kx125 hub from the better wheel (identical part to 89 and up KDX hubs) and my original 18" rim. My "bud" will re-lace with new spokes, covered in a shrink wrap material for color (black). I'm trading him the 2 19" rear DID rolled aluminum rims and an RM front wheel for this work. He builds great wheels, probably one of the best in the business. I was cutting spokes from a wheel that he trued up for me and they where literally flying across the room when cut :blink: . His dad is currently working on putting my steering stem into a 95 RM 250 triple for my fork conversion. My wife is going to pay for my forks to be "built" (lowered, springs if needed, re-valved and a cool pressure release set up) for fathers day. I will be searching for an RM rear shock for a complete Showa suspension.
After I'm done paying for all this and have the roller put together, there is a good chance the motor will go to Gore for a 225 kit and the carb to RB. But that is on the back burner as the motor is/was running really good when I took the bike apart.
A big order at RMATV which includes lots of small OEM parts, like the take "rubber mounts" for the frame, a ton of bearings, possibly a new pipe, a new pipe guard, colored to match (mine is UGLY :vom: ). New Kenda Washougals (if I can get them anytime soon) and possibly one of their new trials tires too.
Lastly will be a graphics kit with two sets of matching shroud graphics. I use two sets of rad shrouds, one for "show" and one for "crash"...I mean "GO". I still need to look into a front fender as the RM uses a much smaller pattern than KX/KDX have. So I'll need a fender with no holes drilled or I'll make a "guard" to convert the KX fender to the RM bolt pattern.
*side note...I'm drunk, so try to read what I'm trying to say, instead of what I actually type
6 Riders
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by 6 Riders »

newbbewb wrote:I wish I had pictures of my old 93 I'm putting back together. Powdercoated in semi gloss black: frame, swingarm, triples, hubs, subframe, and engine. green plastics except blue radiator shrouds, blue inverted forks, black a60 wheels, black seat cover....

man, I'm tired of the hybrid, can't wait to ride the kdx again.
How can you be tired of the hybrid? Just not trail friendly enough?

I might do my 93's frame after this one is done, but it will be a different color. I polished the swing arm (removed all the paint) when I rebuilt the motor, it actually looks really good like that and will stay that way. The thing that I hate the most about the 93 is the cost of plastics......HOLY COW! The rear fender that I have is cool (no light) but I can't find another like it. Rad shrouds and # plates for $60+ a set.....holy cow!
newbbewb
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by newbbewb »

It's a KX125, with even more power. Tight trails suck. I'm zapped at the 4 hour mark, and so is the weak 1.9 gallon tank. It's just obnoxious overall. I can drain a KDX tank and go out for more. I miss that.

Fredette has a no tail light fender available last time I checked.
93 kdx200-Highly modified
89 kx125/kdx200E engine
Buelldustin@gmail.com