KDX 200 no power *SOLVED*

Discussion specific to the 1995 - 2006 KDX200 (H Series) and 1995 - 2005 KDX220R (A Series) models sold in the USA
jaywhy

KDX 200 no power

Post by jaywhy »

so flywheel key replaced......
Started on 1st kick with full power!!!! Im not sure if my harbor freight compression tester is accurate or not but if anyone is interested I will post up my numbers after a few hours on the new top end.
Thanks for all the help
This will be the first forum post ive seen where the bike will still occasionally start with a broken woodruff key. Hopefully it will help someone out in the future
ohgood
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Re: KDX 200 no power *SOLVED*

Post by ohgood »

Good deal man!
diymirage
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by diymirage »

I had a TSX once, when I was quite a bit younger
I decided to replace the points on it so I pulled the flywheel and serviced the ignition
when I was ready to reinstall the flywheel I realized I had misplaced the woodruff key
it was getting late already and there were several cold beers waiting for my at a local drinking hole so I decided to eyeball it and just "hold" the flywheel in the correct place while I bolted it down
closed it up and tried to start the bike up
fired up on the first kick so I figured, allright, brewskis, here I come
I put my tools away, got my jacket and my helmet and got ready to go to the bar
I shifted the bike in first, let out the clutch...and the bike jumped backwards
(apparently I got the timing off so far it ignited and kicked the engine over backwards)

the look on the guys faces as I backed into the parking lot of the bar was PRICELESS
newbbewb wrote:DIYmirage has it right.

-1996 KDX 200 woods weapon (converted to 99 green body)
-1996 KDX 200 plated street toy (barney edition)
-2003 Yamaha TTR125-L (wifeys bike)
-1997 KDX 220 project bike
ohgood
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by ohgood »

diymirage wrote:I had a TSX once, when I was quite a bit younger
I decided to replace the points on it so I pulled the flywheel and serviced the ignition
when I was ready to reinstall the flywheel I realized I had misplaced the woodruff key
it was getting late already and there were several cold beers waiting for my at a local drinking hole so I decided to eyeball it and just "hold" the flywheel in the correct place while I bolted it down
closed it up and tried to start the bike up
fired up on the first kick so I figured, allright, brewskis, here I come
I put my tools away, got my jacket and my helmet and got ready to go to the bar
I shifted the bike in first, let out the clutch...and the bike jumped backwards
(apparently I got the timing off so far it ignited and kicked the engine over backwards)

the look on the guys faces as I backed into the parking lot of the bar was PRICELESS
lol !

seriously though, the kdx will ruin backwards. I've found this out on the steepest hill climbs, the hard way....

kill switch kill switch killlllllll switch!