Piston Mod before Install

Discussion specific to the 1995 - 2006 KDX200 (H Series) and 1995 - 2005 KDX220R (A Series) models sold in the USA
C George
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by C George »

Here's a new Piston that I just got done cleaning up all the sharp lower edges and intake port.

Another 220 top end going together. :)

Note : Picture is a little deceiving as it's zoomed in and the chamfer is not that drastic.

Last edited by C George on 07:18 pm Jun 20 2015, edited 1 time in total.
05 KDX-220R / 06 KDX-225R / Maxima 927 / Millenium Tech / Ron Black / PC , FMF / Many 220 engine mods / 40 + yrs. of riding dirt bikes 🀟🀟
Tioli
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by Tioli »

Good to see C George.

Some questions if you don't mind as I'm relatively new to KDX's and then only a 200. I will be converting/boring 200 out to 220 but don't have all the parts yet.
The hole looks bigger than the two 200 Pistons I have. Is this normal for a 220?
Plus the hole looks wider than would be needed and be partially blocked by the two stays in the cylinder is that correct or not?.
Did you change the shape?
What brand is that one? It looks thick enough to be forged.
Thanks
Tioli.
2001 KX125 with a 1997 KDX Tioli Hp motor

My KDX journey starts at the bottom of this page:
http://www.trials.com.au/forum/viewtopi ... &start=160

Trials.com.au / Forum / All about...me! / My long time friend the prancing horse / page 9
C George
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by C George »

Tioli wrote:Good to see C George.

Some questions if you don't mind as I'm relatively new to KDX's and then only a 200. I will be converting/boring 200 out to 220 but don't have all the parts yet.
The hole looks bigger than the two 200 Pistons I have. Is this normal for a 220?
Plus the hole looks wider than would be needed and be partially blocked by the two stays in the cylinder is that correct or not?.
Did you change the shape?
What brand is that one? It looks thick enough to be forged.
Thanks
Tioli.

It's a Wiseco Forged piston. The intake hole in piston is stock size , just chamfered the edges so it may appear larger.
I chamfered and sanded the piston skirts to keep more oil from scraping off the cylinder.

BUT , was any of this needed or nessesary ? NO , Probably not , I just suffer from over thinking ,, ha ha

I just picked up a good 220 top end for a conversion . That may be the cheaper way to go.

BUT then I flaked a section of electrofusion coating off a port by trying remove a sharp edge , so I screwed that one up :( :(
Last edited by C George on 07:03 pm Jul 04 2015, edited 1 time in total.
05 KDX-220R / 06 KDX-225R / Maxima 927 / Millenium Tech / Ron Black / PC , FMF / Many 220 engine mods / 40 + yrs. of riding dirt bikes 🀟🀟
Tioli
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by Tioli »

When I got my 200H the piston in it was a ART so presume prox. I was really surprised at how undressed it was. You could see the wear on the skirt where the sharp edges just scraped the oil off and wore down.
I couldent help but just look at it and wonder how they could sell a piston like that. Some thing was wrong either they (big company) know what they are doing or I'm a anal idiot.
The replacement wossner was finished well with chamfers in all the right places. It will be interesting to see how the wossner wears as the coating they have will tell all.

Trials.com.au / Forum / All about...me! / My long time friend the prancing horse / page 9
C George
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by C George »

Tioli wrote:When I got my 200H the piston in it was a ART so presume prox. I was really surprised at how undressed it was. You could see the wear on the skirt where the sharp edges just scraped the oil off and wore down.
I couldent help but just look at it and wonder how they could sell a piston like that. Some thing was wrong either they (big company) know what they are doing or I'm a anal idiot.
The replacement wossner was finished well with chamfers in all the right places. It will be interesting to see how the wossner wears as the coating they have will tell all.

Thats pretty much my thoughts and this picture is very deceiving as to hold the piston in your hand " vs highly zoomed in " it just looks like the edges were rounded off.
To each there own but I think it was worth doing. I can't see where it would ever hurt anything.
C George
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Re: Piston Mod before Install

Post by C George »

I also think it would help eliminate the possibility of a cold dry scuff / seizure when using a forged piston .

I've never seen it happen but I guess forged expands quicker than cast and could cause that problem.
Last edited by C George on 07:05 pm Jul 04 2015, edited 1 time in total.
s10gto
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by s10gto »

Tioli wrote:When I got my 200H the piston in it was a ART so presume prox. I was really surprised at how undressed it was. You could see the wear on the skirt where the sharp edges just scraped the oil off and wore down.
I have a Wossner in my YZ250 and can tell you when I had my pipe off I looked up the port to check the piston and the coating is gone. Skirts look like a wiseco now. Perfect with no marks but no coating at all. The coating may help stop scuff during break in. Piston has maybe 15hrs. Very nice pistons at only 10g. heavier over stock.
C George
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by C George »

Sending the cylinder out to Millenium for replate and am using this same piston :)
C George
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by C George »

s10gto wrote:
I have a Wossner in my YZ250 and can tell you when I had my pipe off I looked up the port to check the piston and the coating is gone. Skirts look like a wiseco now. Perfect with no marks but no coating at all. The coating may help stop scuff during break in. Piston has maybe 15hrs. Very nice pistons at only 10g. heavier over stock.

I'm not a big piston coating fan " personal preference ". I like a piston that is lightly knurled to hold the oil on the surface.
Tioli
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by Tioli »

Iv seen Pistons with light grooves machined around the outside all the way up the sides.

C George
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by C George »

Thats how this Wiseco is but much lighter as you can only feel with your finger nail.
Last edited by C George on 09:18 pm Sep 15 2016, edited 1 time in total.
C George
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by C George »

Tioli wrote:Iv seen Pistons with light grooves machined around the outside all the way up the sides.
Arias used to make high performance four stroke pistons that way. Not just lightly knurled like this Wiseco 2 stroke
but destinct machined grooves to hold oil.
C George
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by C George »

Worth the bump as I'd highly reccomend when putting a fresh top end together :)
doakley
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by doakley »

Wait wait; I'm stupid I guess. Why would the skirt ever contact the cylinder? I thought only the rings made contact (separated by an oil film).
david

Post by david »

The sharp, undressed edge of the skit can shear through the oil film.
'81 KDX 175
'90 KDX 200
'07 Vulcan 2000 Classic LT (totaled 4/25/15)
'82 Honda GL500 (sold)
'96 ZXi 1100 JetSki
'98 STX 1100 JetSki
C George
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by C George »

doakley wrote:Wait wait; I'm stupid I guess. Why would the skirt ever contact the cylinder? I thought only the rings made contact (separated by an oil film).
Your not stupid , because in the perfect engine world every metal part is separated by oil. Unfortunately we don't live there and some piston rock is inevitable.
C George
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by C George »

david wrote:The sharp, undressed edge of the skit can shear through the oil film.
Exactly :)