Power Valve Hit Piston

Discussion specific to the 1995 - 2006 KDX200 (H Series) and 1995 - 2005 KDX220R (A Series) models sold in the USA
dwszola

Power Valve Hit Piston

Post by dwszola »

This weekend I took my 96 Kdx to ride up north. I've only had the bike for a yr. Been slowly getting the bike up to snuff. Recently I tore down the top end and fixed some stripped part in the kips. This was my first time riding the bike with a working KIPS. I rode it up and down the road a couple times then shut it down. Come back outside to start it and nothing. Good spark and fuel. I take off the pipe and shine a light....no rings, as if they were welded into the groove. I take off cylinder and it looks as if the main PV shaved the piston right to the ring grooves. Ill get a picture soon. Is there adjustment on the main valve? I thoroughly read the manual installing the main valve which was pretty straight forward. Is this common?
doctord23
Supporting Member

Re: Power Valve Hit Piston

Post by doctord23 »

I assume that you are talking about the piece in the exhaust port and no that is not normal for that to happen.
Check the bore on the cylinder and to verify that it is not a big bore piston.
My Team Green:
2002 KX-KDX 220
2000 KDX 220
2003 KLX 300 DS
1988 White KDX 200C3
1984 KX500 (original owner)
1996 Honda Magna V4
2017 Honda Africa Twin DCT
Adamnb1

Power Valve Hit Piston

Post by Adamnb1 »

the exhaust valve should not be able to extend into the cylinder to intercept the piston, unless the exhaust valve was damaged in someway or somehow not installed correctly.. but like you say, it assembles in a straight forward way.