Excessive Oil Coming out of the Muffler

Discussion specific to the 1995 - 2006 KDX200 (H Series) and 1995 - 2005 KDX220R (A Series) models sold in the USA
Trail Ryder

Post by Trail Ryder »

- 1995 KDX 200 with a Bill's pipe and (freshly packed) silencer; jetting unknown (I ride mostly at sea level)
- Yamaha Lube 2R at 40:1 with straight 91 octane gasoline (no ethanol)

First of all the bike runs GREAT and starts easily, and never fouls a plug. Except there is a lot of exhaust spooge coming out of the muffler and getting all over the rear fender.

One buddy, told me that I need to play with the "squish" band to cure this. Any advice?
1995 Kawasaki KDX 200 (For Sale)
2007 KTM 300 XC-W (For Sale, Maybe)
2014 KTM XCF-W 350
2014 Ski-Doo XRS 800 ETEC
sarrant

Re: Excessive Oil Coming out of the Muffler

Post by sarrant »

Squish band is determined by the design of the head, so it's not generally something one simply "plays with".

For excessive spooge you need to look first at jetting, and maybe clean out your exhaust system.
Trail Ryder

Post by Trail Ryder »

sarrant wrote: For excessive spooge you need to look first at jetting, and maybe clean out your exhaust system.
I have no idea what my current jetting is and ride at sea level to 2,500 feet. Can anyone point me to a recommended jetting specification?
bufftester
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by bufftester »

You just have to run throough the jetting guide, every bike is different. Bike is very rich stock, you can pull the carb apart pretty easily and see what you have. Best thing is to find current jetting, then order a couple idle and mains smaller and run through the jetting guide. It's not a quick process, but pays dividends. Keep in mind you will always have some spooge, it's the nature of a premixed engine, but you can cut it way down.
Trail Ryder

Post by Trail Ryder »

Thanks.

Anyone have any experience with the JD Jetting Kit?
2014 KTM XCF-W 350
Tedh98
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by Tedh98 »

Trail Ryder wrote:Anyone have any experience with the JD Jetting Kit?
The needles are great. The rest of the "kit" are just jets you can get online or at the shop.

I got a used kit at half price. To me the needles were more than worth it at that price. I personally wouldn't pay full price for the needles though, the DEx / CEx needles are close enough and a lot cheaper.
Trail Ryder

Post by Trail Ryder »

Tedh98 wrote:
Trail Ryder wrote:Anyone have any experience with the JD Jetting Kit?
The needles are great. The rest of the "kit" are just jets you can get online or at the shop.

I got a used kit at half price. To me the needles were more than worth it at that price. I personally wouldn't pay full price for the needles though, the DEx / CEx needles are close enough and a lot cheaper.
Thanks. But do you now have any issues with excessive spooge .... or is it correctly jetted now?
2014 KTM XCF-W 350
Tedh98
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by Tedh98 »

Trail Ryder wrote: But do you now have any issues with excessive spooge .... or is it correctly jetted now?
It was jetted correctly before, I got the JD kit just to try it based on things I heard.

You definitely don't need anything special to jet the your bike correctly. Just follow the advice about getting several smaller pilots and main jets and going through the guide.

Before you spend too much time looking elsewhere, find out what jets are currently in there.