2000 KDX 220 won't start

Discussion specific to the 1995 - 2006 KDX200 (H Series) and 1995 - 2005 KDX220R (A Series) models sold in the USA
CBaugh

2000 KDX 220 won't start

Post by CBaugh »

My buddy's 220 will not start. Ran fine and all the sudden died and hasn't started since. We've tried cleaning the carb, jets floats all good. Air filters good, fresh gas fresh plug, petcock and hoses working. The spark plug cap and wire was loose so we took mine off my 200 same year(2000) and nothing happened. It is sparking but not enough to make you move your finger. its the right plug, Were thinking it's an electrical issue, but I would have never thought that would make a kdx not start. It has beaten me. All I'm really getting at, is what am I missing here that I could at least try. I've started small as always and it turned into a couple hours with no victory. Is there something common as I'm describing that happens? The motor turns fine, it has been taken apart and painted a bit but nothing mechanical was removed other than the carb. he for a good deal on it but doesn't want to drop an arm on someone else doing something we may have missed. We're no experts and have minimal specialty tools, but willing to listen! Thanks
jjavaman
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Re: 2000 KDX 220 won't start

Post by jjavaman »

Try swapping black boxes?
97-220 with a PC pipe. 2015- RB carb and head mod
CBaugh

Post by CBaugh »

yeah we're thinkin that's the problem. I may go out there tomorrow and do that
ohgood
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

2000 KDX 220 won't start

Post by ohgood »

since i can't do anything else with the kips, i tried checking out the stator:

new battery in the meter, works again. sweet.

this mornings readings don't make any sense to me, this is the igntion coil:

and this is the lighting coil:

i'm going to guess i've done something wrong here, since the readings are almost exactly the same for the redwhite (ignition) and the yellow (lighitng) coils ?
CBaugh

Post by CBaugh »

Well i got around to changing to black box under the headlight, which the spark plug wire plugs into. We hooked everything up correctly(took the box off my 200) still no luck. Im thinking maybe i should start swappin all the other boxes out that are around the air box? I don't know what they do or what they're called but any help would be appreciated.
bufftester
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by bufftester »

If it was running fine and then just stopped you likely have an electrical issue. First thing to check is the primary and secondary resistance in the ignition coil. If you're getting spark but it's really weak that coil is the most likely issue. Next back would be the CDI box that lives back under the seat (it is the black box that has 5 wires, the one with 2 wires is the regulator and does not affect the ignition circuit). Make sure all your electrical connections are good, especially the ground connections to the frame.
CBaugh

Post by CBaugh »

That's what it sounds like to me. Would it be dangerous to my parts to take them off my bike, and put them on his? Same year KDX mines just a 200. I've already swapped a couple and once installed back on my 200, everything works. But is it something I can do without much expertise? Would swapping them be fine? Thanks for the advice
CBaugh

Post by CBaugh »

And another thing, the ignition coil is on the flywheel right? It's a part of the stator?
bufftester
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by bufftester »

you can plug your CDI into his bike and there should be no problem. You will just have to remove seats to get at the CDI, its a black box maybe 1.5" square with 5 wires coming out of it. There's some semantics in play with your second question...The ignition coil I was referring to is the high voltage coil that the plug wire connects to (on parts diagrams it is actually the ignition coil, with the other item you mentioned being part of the generator stator plate). It is located under the tank bolted to the frame. If you have them I would swap both onto his bike and see what happens. If it runs try replacing 1 or the other of his units and you'll find the bad part. If both of yours don't work on his bike then you need to check wiring down to the stator plate and may want to pull the flywheel and see what's going on down under. None of this is difficult. I attached the wiring diagram for assistance. Let us know how it turns out. (pics always help)
CBaugh

2000 KDX 220 won't start

Post by CBaugh »

yeah i swapped out the ignition coil then. it still produced a wimpy spark, couldnt see it and barely felt it. its my buddies bike but he is new to dirtbikes, so i did everything i could. but now hes going to come into play because he knows a helluva lot more about wiring than i do. so well spend a night working on it soon, swapping out boxes and such. thanks a lot for all the feedback, ive been coming on here since i bought my kdx last year, and finally made an account.. glad i did
CBaugh

2000 KDX 220 won't start

Post by CBaugh »

I know it's been a while but so has this project. We have replaced the cdi box, ignition coil, whatever the box that is bolted to the frame going over the air box, the spark plug cap and wire is brand new, kill switch is new, spark plug is new. Gas is fresh. Filter clean. Carb clean and functional. What am I missin fellas/ladies????? I'm fed up ready to send it in and it's not even my scooter. Anyways thanks for the help already this site is awesome.
s10gto
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by s10gto »

I would test the stator. Its AC volt. May not be producing enough power to give the coil a good charge.
CBaugh

Post by CBaugh »

Well thank you, I will look into it. He may want to send it in to the shop I was trying to trouble shoot for him. But I tried everything and it all failed. And once all of my parts were re installed my bike fired up. We're no experts but I'll definitely look it up some more. I never woulda thought something like this would make these bikes not start
CBaugh

Post by CBaugh »

He pulled the flywheel, stator was gunked with mud/water. long story short new stator installed started first kick. thanks for all the help
bufftester
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by bufftester »

bufftester wrote:...check wiring down to the stator plate and may want to pull the flywheel and see what's going on down under. ...
would have saved a couple months of headaches. Glad you got it sorted!