Adding a headlight

Discussion specific to the 1995 - 2006 KDX200 (H Series) and 1995 - 2005 KDX220R (A Series) models sold in the USA
JFortner5
Supporting Member

Adding a headlight

Post by JFortner5 »

I was at a friends house today and he had a pile of KTM parts laying around. I noticed a complete headlight sitting there he didn't need it and gave it to me.

my original headlight was gone when I bought my bike so I'm pretty happy to have this one.

My old KDX had no headlight switch to turn it on or off. My current one doesn't either, but I assume if it ever did it was removed too. If possible it like to add a switch to be able to turn it on and off, and use the high/low beam.

Here's the new light-

Here's the actual light-

I'm not a fan of painted plastic, but obviously the orange wasn't going to work. I just sprayed some plastidip on temporarily.
Joey

2003 KDX 220R
kx200
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Adding a headlight

Post by kx200 »

you will need a voltage regulator to keep it a 12~AC
6 Riders
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Adding a headlight

Post by 6 Riders »

It's incandescent, so no regulator necessary (well it needs the stock one). To use the hi/lo you'll need an after market switch. Something like the Tusk switch, there are other brands as well. Those switches replace the stock on/off switch, so you just need to decide what way you want to go.
newbbewb wrote:^what he said.
masterblaster wrote:Man 6 riders you rock.
*side note...I'm drunk, so try to read what I'm trying to say, instead of what I actually type
JFortner5
Supporting Member

Post by JFortner5 »

I believe the regulator and everything else is there, just the headlight and tail light were removed.

I thought the red wire up at the front was power and the black ground. I couldn't get it to work like that, so I tried the yellow wire and it lit up.

I thought about getting two switches and hooking them both up to the power wire. Then use one for high beam, one low, and then I could turn them both off. I doubt it could turn them both on with the stock stator though.
Joey

2003 KDX 220R
diymirage
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by diymirage »

if I remember correctly the yellow wire is the hot wire to the switch, the red wire is the hot wire from the switch to the light
newbbewb wrote:DIYmirage has it right.

-1996 KDX 200 woods weapon (converted to 99 green body)
-1996 KDX 200 plated street toy (barney edition)
-2003 Yamaha TTR125-L (wifeys bike)
-1997 KDX 220 project bike
JFortner5
Supporting Member

Post by JFortner5 »

Thanks I had no idea they even had a stock switch. I've never seen one.
Joey

2003 KDX 220R
bufftester
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by bufftester »

Yep, yellow is hot off the stator, red is switched to headlight , taillight, regulator.

KDXohio
Supporting Member

Post by KDXohio »

My headlight is hardwired no switch
1990 KDX200 FMF Fatty, Answer VFC silencer, VForce 3 Cage, Wiseco Piston, KX125-J series KYB USD fork conversion, Race tech goldvalves, J series front brake assembly, air-box snorkel removed, Acerbis Headlight, KX450F Front fender, Pro Taper RM bend bars, ASV front Brake lever, MSR Clutch perch and lever, RB Head mod, 36mm PWK carb, Trail Tech Kickstand.
bufftester
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by bufftester »

That's fine, doesn't hurt anything other than not being able to turn it off lol. The stock switch is on/off only. As mentioned above, if you want hi/low you have to go to an aftermarket switch. If it's just a woods machine no need for hi/lo IMO
rashad

Post by rashad »

Ok... So going off that diagram.. Assuming no switch... What wires go where?

Sent from my VK815 using Tapatalk
Julien D
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Julien D »

Exactly the same as what's there, but eliminate the switch, obviously.
rashad

Post by rashad »

Ok... just for clarification: So I would wire the headlight into the red and black? or the yellow and black? i wired the taillight up normally but it doesnt work.. so I imagine I would have to wire it differently because there is no switch?
rashad

Post by rashad »

Ok I figured it out.. basically just looked a bit harder at the diagram lol. I was confusing myself thinking this bike's wiring was more complex than it is. i wired the red and yellow wires together, effectively completing the switch, which turned on the taillight as well. thanks for all the help, and sorry to thread-jack.