Not easy to find Koyo bearing

Discussion specific to the 1995 - 2006 KDX200 (H Series) and 1995 - 2005 KDX220R (A Series) models sold in the USA
ced64k
Supporting Member

Not easy to find Koyo bearing

Post by ced64k »

I would like to replace my bearings with Koyo, like OEM.
I managed to find steering bearings:

Code: Select all

KAWASAKI      KOYO
92047-017     32005JRRS
92116-1069    32006J
But for the suspension and swingarm I can't find them online except on obscure chinese sites:

Code: Select all

KAWASAKI      KOYO           IKO
92046-1192    16BM2212
92046A-1216   22BM2816
92046-1118                   TA2015Z
These bearings are still produced by Koyo ? The goal is of course to pay 1/3 of the OEM parts price :)

Is it possible that TA2015 is an IKO bearing and not Koyo ?
Last edited by ced64k on 08:50 am Mar 05 2015, edited 2 times in total.
ced64k
Supporting Member

Re: Not easy to find Koyo bearing

Post by ced64k »

Ok, I'm sure that the swingarms bearing are IKO, here's cmsnl.com pictures with the full reference on top : TA2015Z

KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

You may want to verify a picture on the Koyo steering bearings. I read that the OEM is the one with the seal built in and regular Koyo does not have it.

Thanks for the IKP information. I had not noticed that before.
Thank you for participating on kdxrider.net. :bravo:
To post pictures from a device: viewtopic.php?f=88&t=24128
ced64k
Supporting Member

Post by ced64k »

I think I'll fall back on All Balls bearings kit… OEM parts are way too expensive for this.

I read that All Balls kit come with Koyo bearings. Is it true ? For example with a cranckshaft kit :
These crank bearings from All Balls appear to be made by the same manufacturer that supplies Yamaha because KOYO-Japan and right down to the numbers on the bearing are the same as what came out of the bike. The best part is they are alot less expensive and they come with the crank seals, so if the seals are quality then this is a great deal.
https://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/Revi ... d-Seal-Kit
3j3j3j

Post by 3j3j3j »

I read many sources saying allballs were junk. At least try pivotworks if not oem
gsa102
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by gsa102 »

I use all balls with no issue that I can attribute to the quality of the bearings. It is more about keeping grease in and water out.

That being said, you will have a hard time finding a lower shock bearing that will last under hard use in Kawi's linkage. It is very small compared to the others and gets a lot of load. However, the bearings are not crushed or deformed, they rust and the bearing grinds itself apart over time. The seals are not keeping the water out. Neither the OEM or aftermarket seals are doing their job.

My kids race KX 65's and 85's with the same linkage as the KDX, and the lower shock bearing is by far the worst. Most only get light rust if any. The trick is to keep the bikes out of deep water holes. The kids love to splash and spin the mud, but I pay the price in bearings.

We also have a CRF150, and the bearings have lasted last longer on it. I attribute that to a different seal arrangement that works better.
This is my rifle, this is my gun, the YZ to go fast, the KDX is for fun!

96 KDX 200, 09 YZ 250
ced64k
Supporting Member

Post by ced64k »

Finally I ordered All Balls linkage and suspension kits yesterday :)
newbbewb
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by newbbewb »

I have All Balls everything in the hybrid bike, which I ABUSE, but maintain. I'm on my second year. I use electric pressure washer after every ride to clean. I ride mud, sand, rocks, in water, whatever with that bike. I recently pulled my bike down for yearly service interval, all bearings were great except head bearing set. The head bearings were Koyo. All balls simply re-sells Koyo bearings. Keep in mind that sometimes All Balls or another aftermarket parts source, will source exact same thing as the OEM kawi with slightly different specs in metal quality, seal thickness, blah blah blah and sell at cheaper price. Hell, I ordered two head stem kits for same bike at same time, both All Balls. In one package had Koyo, in other package was NSK. Both are good bearings, just goes to show that the consistency is pretty much nil. This applies to the automotive world as well.
93 kdx200-Highly modified
89 kx125/kdx200E engine
Buelldustin@gmail.com