Engaging first gear makes bike jump forward

Discussion specific to the 1995 - 2006 KDX200 (H Series) and 1995 - 2005 KDX220R (A Series) models sold in the USA
spgerber1982

Post by spgerber1982 »

Have anyone experienced this before? Start the bike (in neutral) with clutch pulled in, when engaging first gear the bike "jumps" forward almost as if the clutch is not being used.
s10gto
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Re: Engaging first gear makes bike jump forward

Post by s10gto »

If the bike sits for a while it can happen as the plates get dry. Also can happen if you are using thick oil when cold or your cable is a little too slack.

This is of course the clutch basket has no notching and is in nice shape.
ohgood
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by ohgood »

spgerber1982 wrote:Have anyone experienced this before? Start the bike (in neutral) with clutch pulled in, when engaging first gear the bike "jumps" forward almost as if the clutch is not being used.

rusty clutch plates will do that. if the bike sits a lot, condensation will form in the case and rust the clutch.

easy fix = put the bike in a high gear, pull the clutch in, roll the bike

better fix = pull the clutch pack and sand the rust off, reinstall, change transmisison oil
Bitteeinit

Post by Bitteeinit »

Yeah happens to me as well of its been sitting for a while. It'll jump forward and die (as if I stalled it, despite having proper clutch control). Easy fix is after warming up, just rev the bike a bot more than usual when getting into first. Give it more gas and it'll go, them go through the gears to get the oil moving around.
IDRIDR
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by IDRIDR »

My KLR does it all the time after sitting for a day or more. Less when its colder. My KDX has a slight tendency to sticky clutch pack. I use the "easy fix" method above prior to starting the bike (unsticking the clutch pack by rolling the bike in a high gear with lever pulled in).
2003 KDX 220. RB Carb & Head Mods. Desert pipe. She's a runner!
2006 KLX 250 w/351 big bore. A well-sorted dual sporter.
2006 KLR 650. Mostly stock.
2014 Suzuki DL1000.