kdx220 will not idle, heavy smoke on decel ?

Discussion specific to the 1995 - 2006 KDX200 (H Series) and 1995 - 2005 KDX220R (A Series) models sold in the USA
6 Riders
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: kdx220 will not idle, heavy smoke on decel ?

Post by 6 Riders »

Well, the part on the left is a Boyesen reed cage. The thing on the right is the stock reed cage, but you don't have the outer part (carb boot) for it. Why didn't you just order replacement reeds for the cage? Take those tiny screws out and the reeds (2 pc each side) will come off. Those are the parts that you should be replacing.
Here is the cheapest I've found them.....http://www.oemcycle.com/Item/product/900025751
newbbewb wrote:^what he said.
masterblaster wrote:Man 6 riders you rock.
*side note...I'm drunk, so try to read what I'm trying to say, instead of what I actually type
ohgood
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by ohgood »

6 Riders wrote:Well, the part on the left is a Boyesen reed cage. The thing on the right is the stock reed cage, but you don't have the outer part (carb boot) for it. Why didn't you just order replacement reeds for the cage? Take those tiny screws out and the reeds (2 pc each side) will come off. Those are the parts that you should be replacing.
Here is the cheapest I've found them.....http://www.oemcycle.com/Item/product/900025751
the cage is chipped in the corner
Last edited by ohgood on 11:03 am Apr 17 2015, edited 1 time in total.
Sullyfam
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Sullyfam »

My humble and possibly incorrect opinion...

The cage on the right looks like the stock setup and the left (given the sticker) looks like the Boysene replacement. I have dealt with the Boysene system, but it looks like it replaces the intake boot and cage with a single unit. I suspect that all is fine with this aluminum boot/cage so it's just a matter of checking the reeds. If they don't seal (I.e. Lay flat against the cage) then you can order new Boysene reeds.

As for the stock cage and reeds (right side of pic), not much good without the boot to attach to the carb.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
ohgood
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by ohgood »

sorry, i can't edit that post with Tapatalk.

Sullyfam
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Sullyfam »

I agree with 6 riders in that the top left corner of the cage looks like a chunk of metal is missing. If that's the case new reeds won't help as the reeds will still not seal properly. If not, then I would just go to the Boyesen website and order replacement reeds. If you are unsure which to order then call Boyesen and I bet they can help get you the correct reeds.

KDXohio
Supporting Member

Post by KDXohio »

Order a 55$ boot for the stock setup or a new 130$ rad valve from boyesen. Personally Id get the rad valve and return the stock cage
1990 KDX200 FMF Fatty, Answer VFC silencer, VForce 3 Cage, Wiseco Piston, KX125-J series KYB USD fork conversion, Race tech goldvalves, J series front brake assembly, air-box snorkel removed, Acerbis Headlight, KX450F Front fender, Pro Taper RM bend bars, ASV front Brake lever, MSR Clutch perch and lever, RB Head mod, 36mm PWK carb, Trail Tech Kickstand.
ohgood
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by ohgood »

Sullyfam wrote:I agree with 6 riders in that the top left corner of the cage looks like a chunk of metal is missing. If that's the case new reeds won't help as the reeds will still not seal properly. If not, then I would just go to the Boyesen website and order replacement reeds. If you are unsure which to order then call Boyesen and I bet they can help get you the correct reeds.

KDXohio wrote:Order a 55$ boot for the stock setup or a new 130$ rad valve from boyesen. Personally Id get the rad valve and return the stock cage

i put putty on the reed cage last night, filed it smooth, removed the excess, and flipped the reeds. it looked to be quite an improvement in sealing.

i ran the bike this morning, the repaired cage and OK sealing reed made zero difference.

i'm extremely skeptical the reeds are playing any role at all in the current poor performance of the engine.

since i've cleaned/checked/rejetted about 20 times now, the carburetor isn't a suspect either.

which leads me with .... nothing else to check, fix, or try, besides craigslist'ing the bike.
Tedh98
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by Tedh98 »

ohgood wrote:it looked to be quite an improvement in sealing.

OK sealing reed
So the reeds still aren't sealing correctly?
KDXohio
Supporting Member

Post by KDXohio »

where are you located?
1990 KDX200 FMF Fatty, Answer VFC silencer, VForce 3 Cage, Wiseco Piston, KX125-J series KYB USD fork conversion, Race tech goldvalves, J series front brake assembly, air-box snorkel removed, Acerbis Headlight, KX450F Front fender, Pro Taper RM bend bars, ASV front Brake lever, MSR Clutch perch and lever, RB Head mod, 36mm PWK carb, Trail Tech Kickstand.
ohgood
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by ohgood »

tedh -

i might could slide a .001" feeler gauge between the cage and reed, at the ends.
ohgood
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by ohgood »

kdxohio- Birmingham Alabama
Sullyfam
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Sullyfam »

I just re-read the entire posting to make sure I properly recalled what all had been done. Holy smokes! This is truly baffling. You fixed the engine seal issue so no tran fluid loss, carb, petcock and air filter all cleaned and jetting was unchanged (at least original setting was tried). So air and fuel should be reaching the intake and now you have checked the reeds and did some work to ensure they are sealing. Have you checked the exhaust system from the header all the way to the pipe? If everything is flowing as it should leading into the cylinder, perhaps it's an issue on the exit? I know you have gone through the KIPS so take that variable out, but maybe a mouse is in the house? [emoji16]

ohgood
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by ohgood »

Sullyfam wrote:I just re-read the entire posting to make sure I properly recalled what all had been done. Holy smokes! This is truly baffling. You fixed the engine seal issue so no tran fluid loss, carb, petcock and air filter all cleaned and jetting was unchanged (at least original setting was tried). So air and fuel should be reaching the intake and now you have checked the reeds and did some work to ensure they are sealing. Have you checked the exhaust system from the header all the way to the pipe? If everything is flowing as it should leading into the cylinder, perhaps it's an issue on the exit? I know you have gone through the KIPS so take that variable out, but maybe a mouse is in the house? [emoji16]

i'll pull the pipe and see.

from today's attempts at electrical diagnosis:

two more hours wasted on the piece of ****.

40V AC at the lighting circuit, and

7.36 Ohms ( i guess, i'm not an electrician) on the Yellow to Black wire (from stator)

and

7.19 Ohms (i guess) on the White/Red to Black wire from stator.

The bike started fine the first time (like always) but then got progressively shittier and shittier until it took 10-15 kicks to get it to start again. Tried to ride around the neighborhood to watch the voltages, but it runs so completely **** right now that's not really possible.

The LED head/tail lights are working fine, but the bike runs so shitty it's pointless to try and get over 10 MPH with it to test jetting/whatever.

Any more suggestions ?
ohgood
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by ohgood »

yep, the pipe is clear. hair dryer is blowing onthe stator... but i don't expect it to make any difference.

my money is on something in the carb worn out, or the whole carb worn out.

either way, it's time with me will end the day the title comes in. to much frustration to trust all those old, worn parts again.
KDXohio
Supporting Member

Post by KDXohio »

Have you checked the floot height could be dumping more fuel in
ohgood
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by ohgood »

KDXohio wrote:Have you checked the floot height could be dumping more fuel in
yes, i've checked ti about 12 times now. 16-17mm depending on the slop in the float's pivot.

this morning was testing the coils/stator with a hairdryer on it. no obvious changes. soooo , it's not electrical.
ohgood
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by ohgood »

i don't understand what the manual is saying to check, or how, so this is what i have:

and

heat doesn't make any difference. what does it mean
Silverfox

Post by Silverfox »

That's K ohms you're reading, if that makes a difference.
ohgood
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by ohgood »

Silverfox wrote:That's K ohms you're reading, if that makes a difference.

Greek or Chinese would be about the same, to me.
Tedh98
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by Tedh98 »

Does it always run better cold and then get worse as it heats up?

Are you in North, South, East or West part of Alabama?