kdx220 will not idle, heavy smoke on decel ?

Discussion specific to the 1995 - 2006 KDX200 (H Series) and 1995 - 2005 KDX220R (A Series) models sold in the USA
ohgood
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Re: kdx220 will not idle, heavy smoke on decel ?

Post by ohgood »

newbbewb wrote:is the plug wire arching out? Stupid, but it happened to me.
not stupid at all, i've seen bikes short after a stream crossing, and the only way to make it run was to dry the plug wire by hanging it behind a jeeps exhaust for a while. i've heldd the plug wire while the bike was running, and thankfully there was no shocking development ;-)

after an early morning scalping session on ebay i found a full wiring harness including cdi/coil/etc.

when it arrives, and is proven to work, i'll ship my old cdi or disassemble it, very carefully so someone can benefit from all this incredibly annoying process.

assuming it actually makes a difference, of course.
ohgood
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by ohgood »

in the process of getting ready for the new wire harness/cdi, i pulled the tank, and figured i would inspect the piston/reeds one last time before installing the new electrics.

piston is beautiful

snuck a flashlight into the exhaust port, and shot through the sparkplug hole to capture the arrow pointing the right way

since i was killing an hour, i looked around with a flashlight

looks like it was ported at some time... wait just a minute, what the hell is THAT ?

OK, time to pull the cylinder of again and find out.
newbbewb
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by newbbewb »

you are referencing that green tab?
93 kdx200-Highly modified
89 kx125/kdx200E engine
Buelldustin@gmail.com
bufftester
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by bufftester »

Looks like the edge of the base gasket
ohgood
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by ohgood »

newbbewb wrote:you are referencing that green tab?
no, over here...

something, kind of like paper towel

and now missing...

ill net you thats the corner of some paper, andlike an iceburg, there is more undee the surface.
ohgood
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by ohgood »

pulled cylinder for a good up close look, and to check piston/rings for signs of problems.

1 there was trash in the right hand side intake runner (don't know proper terminology for two strokes yet), very little, but apparently enough to cause problems.

2 cleaned kips it was full of gummy splooge, moved easily by hand, but not at all while the bike was warming up.

3 140 main, 37 idler, second from the top needle, 1 1/2 turns out

4 piston was spotless, perfect
5 cylinder was spotless, perfect (no hash marks, but no change)

proper test ride around the block with all the LEDs blazing, wtfo , and almost looped it on fourth. what? yes, fourth. still needs the keeping fine tuned, but pulls nice and strong again.

kips- functional again. wa $#@&ing hooo!!

the only issue right now is kips is slow to return... what causes that besides work parts?

i would prefer the bottom end to be strongest of i had a choice between top and bottom.

thank you for watching and contributing to this wine fest of a thread. pictures....

bottom end i expected to find walnuts in:

alignment main:

alignment secondary gear:

kips and valves, <6000 rpm:

kips and valves >6000 rpm:

now to go do something illegal on one of these...
sanstoetter

Post by sanstoetter »

What's the LED setup on the black bike? Looks like a DRZ fairing with 2 sets of LED Strips?
Last edited by sanstoetter on 04:01 pm May 13 2015, edited 1 time in total.
ohgood
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by ohgood »

spent a full tank of fuel getting the jetting closer to perfect, finally getting there ....

on the way home transmission won't shift into anything except first gear.

cannot believe it.
ohgood
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by ohgood »

sanstoetter wrote:What's the LED setup on the black bike? Looks like a DRZ fairing with 2 sets of LED Strips?

ya, it's bright, and cheap, but the dual 27 watt set on the kdx is better. I've been running those on the drz for a couple of years. very visible during the day, lights up the trails like a white flare.
Jaguar
Supporting Member

Post by Jaguar »

change the trans oil and JBWeld a magnet to the drain plug to catch any drifting metal pieces that could be the cause of the shifting problem
Performance CDI -- KDX motocross mods -- the SR KDX -- expansion chamber analysis---> http://www.dragonfly75.com/moto/
ohgood
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by ohgood »

Jaguar wrote:change the trans oil and JBWeld a magnet to the drain plug to catch any drifting metal pieces that could be the cause of the shifting problem
somebody already did that. it's been catching black stuff at each change, but no furry beard so things should be OK.

bolt sheared off that keeps the drum in place, so it walked out beyond the indexer. I'm not a gorilla, so that's pretty odd.

one of the clutch pucks (1/4" x1/4") was laying in the bottom of the case, so it must be time for a new clutch soon too.

tomorrow I'll get the jetting close, then finally dualsport over to some woods for a short night ride. hopefully there mechanicals are over.
bufftester
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by bufftester »

Your gear position lever is not right. The large wheel portion should be riding on the cam, there should be a spacer under the lever arm between it and the case. That alone shouldn't have kept you from shifting gears
ohgood
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by ohgood »

bufftester wrote:Your gear position lever is not right. The large wheel portion should be riding on the cam, there should be a spacer under the lever arm between it and the case. That alone shouldn't have kept you from shifting gears
yes, that's why i took a picture of it. should have taken one with the indexer and the missing bolt head to make it more plain. :)

when the drum indexer walked out, the spring for the shifter popped off the assembly and no longer kept the shift shaft in alignment with the drum index. new bolt and loctite = fixed.

this afternoon i'll pick up some more coolant and ATF (i've drained the bike about 15 times over the last month) and hopefully all that is left is perfecting the jetting.

i have a new wiring harness on the bike now too. the only thing not replaced so far:

fuel tank
frame

LOL
ohgood
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by ohgood »

finally, it lives... got the jetting roughed in, took the kid out to see if the lights will work well enough for upcoming 24 hour challenge... nor impressed with the lights, not the engine is pretty good.
ohgood
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by ohgood »

left the house with very little confidence in the bike. checked the sight glass 20 times, expecting the worst.

turns out the only thing to worry about was that the little bit i could ride over two months ago disappeared.

but the bike completely rocked !
:supz: :supz:

tracked the ride (like always) and found out my tires need balancing again

ohgood
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by ohgood »

one of the funniest comments i've heard, while a rider is attempting to kickstart is swamped bike is "IF it ever starts, it will be the best ktm in the world!"

so i present to you, the best kdx in the world, cause it finally starts, and runs, for more than 30 seconds at a time !
http://vimeo.com/128097818
6 Riders
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by 6 Riders »

I should have snatched that bike up when you where gonna sell it for $500 :lol: :naughty:

Glad you didn't give up on her!
newbbewb wrote:^what he said.
masterblaster wrote:Man 6 riders you rock.
*side note...I'm drunk, so try to read what I'm trying to say, instead of what I actually type
ohgood
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by ohgood »

you're right, and i wouldn't have blamed you at all for doing so.... even after you found how simple the problems were and rode the piss out of it for another five years.

:)
Dekon
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by Dekon »

Great to see you got it going. What are you using to track your rides?
ohgood
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by ohgood »

Dekon wrote:Great to see you got it going. What are you using to track your rides?
locus pro , on my android phone