KIPS Function

Discussion specific to the 1995 - 2006 KDX200 (H Series) and 1995 - 2005 KDX220R (A Series) models sold in the USA
Qwika
Supporting Member

KIPS Function

Post by Qwika »

So I bought this used KDX200 back in November. It is a great bike, starts right up, idles great, even has killer top end power. THe problem I have is through the midrange of the bike. I have rejetted the bike using the guide but still have a stutter through the midrange. I am wondering if it is the KIPS system.
[youtube][/youtube]
http://youtu.be/0QDRQG7Hbb8
Any ideas?
s10gto
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Re: KIPS Function

Post by s10gto »

A serious KIPS cleaning is in order. Looks like it in binding in all that goo. Should move free and smooth. Yours looks like it struggles then snaps open. You will need to remove the cylinder to do it right. Good time to do the piston and rings just because. A good gasket set will have the KIPS seals you will need also. Make sure you time the KIPS correctly and I believe you will see a big difference. Good luck.

BTW Welcome to KDXRider! :grin:
Tedh98
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by Tedh98 »

Totally agree on the complete cleaning of the KIPS.

Starting at the ~54 second mark when you rev it a couple of times, exhaust can be seen. Is that blowing back around from the silencer or is that leaking from the pipe/cylinder?
Qwika
Supporting Member

Post by Qwika »

It is leaking out where the pipe and cylinder meet. There is also black goo dripping out. After jetting I was hoping it would go away, it hasn't.
Tedh98
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by Tedh98 »

Qwika wrote:It is leaking out where the pipe and cylinder meet. There is also black goo dripping out.
You will want to fix that leak with new o-rings. I also smear some high temp RTV on the o-rings for extra protection against leaks.
Qwika
Supporting Member

Post by Qwika »

I will try that before I tear the head apart. Or do you think I need to tear the head apart and clean it out anyway?

Thank you so much for your help!
Adamnb1

KIPS Function

Post by Adamnb1 »

yes, you really should do yourself a favour and clean the kips. See this vid, and how quickly the kips closes after the rev's go down. Yours is being held open by deposits.
https://www.youtube.com/v/2QDJscFPMn4
Qwika
Supporting Member

Post by Qwika »

I think you are right. I will clean the kips out, replace the o-rings and rejet. Maybe it will be ready when all of this snow is gone.
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

WOW! Look at the modern tools of working on a bike we have today, pictures and video. I would have loved to have had it when I was working on my KDX's years ago!
Thank you for participating on kdxrider.net. :bravo:
To post pictures from a device: viewtopic.php?f=88&t=24128
Qwika
Supporting Member

Post by Qwika »

I know Jason. SO much of the guesswork is gone. Technology is wonderful, but without the people like those on this site it would be useless. Only because there are so many people on this site who are willing to share what they know and have experienced to help others does it have value.
Bitteeinit

Post by Bitteeinit »

Can you post a picture from farther out. Which cover should I remove if I want to have a look at my KIPS?
Adamnb1

KIPS Function

Post by Adamnb1 »

Bit, check the video I shared, it shows it well.
Bitteeinit

Post by Bitteeinit »

Adam, great video! Sorry I missed it. What exactly holds the KIPS cover down? I don't see any screw holes... Also, this should be pretty similar to an E series correct? Sorry, my bike isn't near me at the moment, but it all looks like it should be the same. I'd like to test that out on my bike. Never knew it could be done. I thought I had to remove the whole topend again! :rolleyes: :grin:
Qwika
Supporting Member

Post by Qwika »

To the left of the cover that says "KIPS" is a round cover with a slot on it. I literally took a quarter and used it to turn that slot to get the cover off.
s10gto
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by s10gto »

You can also pull the exhaust pipe off and double check the timing of the sub valves if you have any doubts.
Qwika
Supporting Member

Post by Qwika »

I took my exhaust pipe off and I couldn't get the bike to start. It was 7 degrees out which could have been the problem though.
masonkdx200

KIPS Function

Post by masonkdx200 »

hi i just got my cylynder resleeved at a machine shop and im putting the power valve system together and its going smoothly besides the fact that it didnt come back with the spring that gos on the bolt with the little ball thing, does anyone know if that needs to be there? thanks!
s10gto
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by s10gto »

Some run without the spring. The KIPS will be quicker and open sooner I believe without that spring. May have less bottom end and more MX feel. Not sure. :?
masonkdx200

KIPS Function

Post by masonkdx200 »

Okay thank you!