My 220 Duelsport build (Done! With Pic's)

Discussion specific to the 1995 - 2006 KDX200 (H Series) and 1995 - 2005 KDX220R (A Series) models sold in the USA
s10gto
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

My 220 Duelsport build (Done! With Pic's)

Post by s10gto »

As most of you guys have seen in my (any plated KDX's Thread) I am going to duelsport the 220. Thought I would start a build thread here to not cludder up the Q&A section.

I started with a 05 KDX 220 with about 12hours on it. In storage since 06.

First got titled and plated with LED brake,tail,platelight.

Next folding mirrors. Not great as mirrors but they make the law happy.

My state you need a chain guard so got one from a KLX. Made a couple steel mounts from kickstand and rear axle.

Keyed ignition ( you guys in other states have it easy LOL)

And not to forget the KDX220 piston issue. That 220 piston has to go.

Got to order the Baja Designs kit, DOT tires ,speedo and then she is ready to hit the trails (without a truck LOL) :grin:
Last edited by s10gto on 10:41 am Mar 15 2015, edited 1 time in total.
s10gto
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

My 220 Duelsport build

Post by s10gto »

Added a couple refl's. as my KLX has them.

GI_JO_NATHAN
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

My 220 Duelsport build

Post by GI_JO_NATHAN »

Nice!

I recently picked up my first KDX. An 05 220 with a plated title. Finally made it to the tag office yesterday and left with the tag. WooHoo!

This bike was apparently DS'd before, but then I guess the last owner took it all off and only used it in the woods. Came with a few parts including some sort of rigged up tail light. I'm working on getting that wired back up. Only problem I see right now is that the pressure switch on the front brake lever is broken, and right up against the hand guard. So I need to figure out what size to get, and fit it all together.

What are you using for a brake switch?
s10gto
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Re: My 220 Duelsport build

Post by s10gto »

Sweet! :grin: Got a hydro switch in rear. You can use a electric switch on rear too. The mount for it is under the side cover. As for the front I am using another hydro switch. The baja kit comes with it but they do sell separate if needed.
Postigo
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Postigo »

Hi and happy new year!!!
I have a dual sport KDX220 too, it's a fun bike for short trips but on long ones you should be looking to buy at least a DRZ 400.
I have done a couple of mods to make it suitable for street like stator rewinding, dual sport tires, 14/42 sprockets, rich jetting, battery with rectifier, oversize tank and a tusk lighting kit. Here are some photosImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
The longest trip I've made was at the west coast of the island was a 145 miles trip in one day and was like running a formula car on the the street. The average fuel consumption is 35mpg and the comfortable cruising speed is about 55mph.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The Doctor says I have multiple personality desorder... But we are not agree...
Bitteeinit

Post by Bitteeinit »

How can you "cruise" with it? Are you always varying your speed? Driving my KDX on the highway always feels weird... I'm used to cruising on 4-strokes with a constant speed, but on the KDX it feels a bit weird (but fun). I have an SR (so already road ready), but I'm always worried for the piston when I'm driving it on a paved road.
s10gto
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

My 220 Duelsport build

Post by s10gto »

Running on the rich side helps. If I am correct the SR is oil injected. With oil injection the oil is controled with throttle but even with no throttle at least you are still pumping. With injection i believe you are on the safer side as far as oil starvation. My wife has a 2000 KE100 factory street ready that is also oil injected.

This KDX will be my trail machine that I will also use around town.

If I was to do a long street ride I got a new Klx. :grin:

Thanks for the pic's. HAPPY NEW YEAR! :mrgreen:
Last edited by s10gto on 05:08 pm Jan 01 2015, edited 1 time in total.
Postigo
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Postigo »

Don't worry about the piston, just put some synthetic oil and she will do the job. About the jetting is better to run the bike on the rich side because it helps with the hesitation at cruising speed and at the same time is an insurance to avoid a lean condition.

s10gto
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by s10gto »

Postigo wrote:Don't worry about the piston, just put some synthetic oil and she will do the job. About the jetting is better to run the bike on the rich side because it helps with the hesitation at cruising speed and at the same time is an insurance to avoid a lean condition.

Would you hapen to remember what you are running for jets?

I was thinking to increase my main and pilot my 1 size over factory. Runs mint at factory 145m 42p. I am at sea level. Thanks
Postigo
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Postigo »

When she was a trail bike she was 38/138 and now 40/142 she is pig rich even with the needle in the second from top position. One good thing is she still have the response of a trail bike even with the 14/42 gearing. Obvious not the low end grunt of the 13/47 but she have decent power to climb some hills and fire roads.

dougt
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by dougt »

NICE! I am in Mass also. I didn't think there was a chance to get my KDX on the road in this state. I've got to look into this.

Thanks for the info!
s10gto
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by s10gto »

dougt wrote:NICE! I am in Mass also. I didn't think there was a chance to get my KDX on the road in this state. I've got to look into this.

Thanks for the info!
I have been following this in hopes it may work for a friend of mine.

http://www.kawasakiforums.com/forum/klx ... lly-42628/
GI_JO_NATHAN
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by GI_JO_NATHAN »

s10gto wrote:Sweet! :grin: Got a hydro switch in rear. You can use a electric switch on rear too. The mount for it is under the side cover. As for the front I am using another hydro switch. The baja kit comes with it but they do sell separate if needed.
Ok cool. I'll look into one for the rear. Not much room on the front.

Edit: You wouldn't happen to have a part number for the hydro switches do you?
s10gto
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

My 220 Duelsport build

Post by s10gto »

Here ya go. Front low profile and other for rear. :grin:

http://doctorenduro.com/index.php?main_ ... ake_switch
6 Riders
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by 6 Riders »

I use a hydraulic switch on the rear brake of my bike. The switch is the same for the front or rear. I actually took mine off of the front and put it on the back. For my tail/brake light, I used the stock KDX light and added an 1157 socket and bulb (stock bulb is an 1157 btw) and added the wiring for the brake switch. I also swapped out a hi/lo socket for the front headlight. Bike looks completely stock with the exception of the turn signals and license plate bolted to the fender.
I would buy the Tusk kit over the Baja Designs kit, if for no other reason, to save some $$.
Here is a link to an inexpensive hydraulic switch. https://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/p/38 ... sin-Brakes That site also has the Tusk Dual sport kit. I think it's about $180 w/o a headlight.
newbbewb wrote:^what he said.
masterblaster wrote:Man 6 riders you rock.
*side note...I'm drunk, so try to read what I'm trying to say, instead of what I actually type
Postigo
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Postigo »

I bought the tusk kit new in box from a guy at ebay for around $70 without the battery and it was for a wr450. Then I bought a cheap lead sealed battery for arond $10 and a RadioShack rectifier for another $5. I'm running the tusk light kit with dc and the front light with the factory ac system. It works great and it's also maintenance free.
s10gto
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

My 220 Duelsport build

Post by s10gto »

Looked at the Tusk kits but I like the fact everything on the baja kit is on the mask. Battery ,reg.,horn,flasher,ect.all pre wired and ready to go. Also here I need a high beam indicator. The Baja kit has this along with lights that are D.O.T. approved.

Told ya some states have it easy. Mine is just not one of them. :sad:

I do auto inspections @ work and its no easier for car/trucks. Perdy much if it isn't factory it Fails!
GI_JO_NATHAN
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by GI_JO_NATHAN »

s10gto wrote:Here ya go. Front low profile and other for rear. :grin:

http://doctorenduro.com/index.php?main_ ... ake_switch
6 Riders wrote:I use a hydraulic switch on the rear brake of my bike. The switch is the same for the front or rear. I actually took mine off of the front and put it on the back. For my tail/brake light, I used the stock KDX light and added an 1157 socket and bulb (stock bulb is an 1157 btw) and added the wiring for the brake switch. I also swapped out a hi/lo socket for the front headlight. Bike looks completely stock with the exception of the turn signals and license plate bolted to the fender.
I would buy the Tusk kit over the Baja Designs kit, if for no other reason, to save some $$.
Here is a link to an inexpensive hydraulic switch. https://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/p/38 ... sin-Brakes That site also has the Tusk Dual sport kit. I think it's about $180 w/o a headlight.
Thanks!
I'll take a look.
s10gto
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

My 220 Duelsport build

Post by s10gto »

Well I finally got my rear rack in Thanks to HappyTrails! Its for a KLX300. After some tweeking it fit nice. For a added touch and to stop snags I counter sunk the front bolts at the seat. :grin:

s10gto
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

My 220 Duelsport build

Post by s10gto »

Well today the DOT's got done! I went with the Kenda Trak Masters. Looks like a nice offroad knobby without spending big $$. Almost went for the 270's but just didn't think they would cover my terrain here. Going to have to be extra careful with these on the street ,but for less then a $100 a pair I don't mind how much pavement they see. :grin:

And a slight gear change from 47 to 45. I am use to MX gearing of my YZ250 so a little faster first won't bother me a bit.

Now just for the Baja Designs lighting kit. Saved the fun/easy part for last. :grin: