Clutch Spring question

Discussion specific to the 1995 - 2006 KDX200 (H Series) and 1995 - 2005 KDX220R (A Series) models sold in the USA
jwm180

Clutch Spring question

Post by jwm180 »

New to the KDX site and new to replacing a clutch. This website is great and very informative. I have the Manuel and have read through it but I am a bit confused with the clutch springs. Should the bolts be tight against the towers? If so the springs look to be almost compressed. Is this correct? I have a new to me 2000 KdX. Also have a 1988 air head. Thanks for your help.
Julien D
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Re: Clutch Spring question

Post by Julien D »

Welcome to KDXRIDER! Yes, they should be tight, and at rest without clutch lever pulled springs should be compressed, otherwise you would have some serious issues with clutch slippage. Torque specs are included in the manual. Do not over-tighten!
jwm180

Post by jwm180 »

Thank you for your reply. For some reason with spring bolts tight springs are compressed and when I put cover on the actuator does not have any resistance until arm about 90 degrees to the cover case seam.
Tedh98
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by Tedh98 »

With your clutch installed but the cover off, can you move your clutch plates around a little or are they locked tightly in place?
jwm180

Post by jwm180 »

I will have to check that out. I want to say with the bolts right the plates were tight aswell.
jwm180

Post by jwm180 »

Can anyone give me am idea on how far the actuator arm should move before resistance is felt?
Julien D
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Julien D »

http://www.kdxrider.net/forums/viewtopi ... 77&t=12542

The images posted in that thread by amstel78 should give you an idea of the range of motion on the actuator arm.
Tedh98
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by Tedh98 »

jwm180 wrote:Can anyone give me am idea on how far the actuator arm should move before resistance is felt?
I assume you are asking once you bolt the cover on, how far CW can you rotate arm until it hits the pusher rod? If so, I don't remember it being much. But it has been a while since I've had a stock clutch.

Try putting your clutch together this way:

If you are missing a washer or don't have the clutch hub and pressure plate engaged properly it will cause problems.
OldIron

Clutch Spring question

Post by OldIron »

I just did my clutch. My advice is to watch this video. Once you have the plates stacked and you put the other side of the clutch (the one with the pillars) on, make sure you pick it up and don't put it down on the bench again. While you have it in one hand. Put the springs on and tighten a few bolts only to hand tight. Then put it in the clutch basket which is on the bike.

This is a technique thing and if you put it back down on the bench the two outer plates become slightly misaligned. You'll be able to get it in place on the bike but what will happen is exactly what your saying. And the clutch lever pull will also be hard. Check this video out. I recommend watching all 5 parts because on one of them he shows the alignment issue.