Shift actuator 'marks' not lining up...

Discussion specific to the 1995 - 2006 KDX200 (H Series) and 1995 - 2005 KDX220R (A Series) models sold in the USA
motoracerx
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by motoracerx »

If you've seen my other thread, you'll know I'm tearing down my new to me 03 200.

Looking at the manual, the white line and dot on the shift actuator should line up.
I just removed the shift actuator cover, and the dot and the white line do not line up.

The bike runs fine, smooth idle, smooth power curve...

What does these marks not lining up mean? Pros/cons?

Tedh98
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Re: Shift actuator 'marks' not lining up...

Post by Tedh98 »

It might seem like it is running fine, but it isnt running like it is supposed to. The question I would have is did someone put it together wrong or did something break?
motoracerx
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by motoracerx »

Tedh98 wrote:It might seem like it is running fine, but it isnt running like it is supposed to. The question I would have is did someone put it together wrong or did something break?
I'm assuming it was put together wrong. Gasket sealant was used on the head and the cylinder instead of 'real' gaskets. Definitely hacked together.

The guy I bought it from was new to dirtbikes too and only rode it a time or two and then sold it..to me.

180 compression, cylinder walls seem fine so far...getting ready to pull cylinder.....

Damn this thing will be wicked if it's running half-assed now.
motoracerx
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by motoracerx »

Well, this explains why the marks weren't lining up...2 broken teeth on the main rod gear.

Massive carbon build up on this valve thingy. Maybe that's why I was getting all the oil blow by into the header.

newbbewb
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by newbbewb »

You're on the right track, pull the top end and fix what PO messed up. That carbon buildup in on par with these older bikes. clean up the KIPS valves, and reset everything. Personally I've never seen one of those pieces eat the teeth...yikes.

If the piston and nikaseal look good, might consider new rings.
93 kdx200-Highly modified
89 kx125/kdx200E engine
Buelldustin@gmail.com