KIPS clogged up - runs fine?

Discussion specific to the 1995 - 2006 KDX200 (H Series) and 1995 - 2005 KDX220R (A Series) models sold in the USA
motoracerx
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by motoracerx »

Soooo, after reading and researching as much as I can in between work and sleep, I've decided to start tearing into my new to me 03 200.

I've only ridden the bike around my 1 acre yard. Seems to run fine through the RPM's no hesitation, smooth idle, starts on lst or 2nd kick.
Bike has PC header/silencer, Force 3 reeds

Visual things I see:

-I have quite a bit of oil coming out of the expansion chamber, at the connection of the chamber and silencer and out the end of the silencer.

-Looks like RTV gasket was used for the cylinder/base gasket instead of a 'real' gasket.

After researching, I took the KIPS cap off on the left side to see if the shaft rotates upward when the throttle is revved up to about 6k RPM's. ( I got that info from a youtube video)
It does not. It appears to be stuck at the 'up' position, meaning it should rotate counter clockwise when revved up, (according to the video I watched).

I also just did a compression test. Engine warm, throttle open....180 psi. So I think I'm in good shape with the top end. Other than the junk RTV gasket/sealant at the cylinder and the KIPS.
Plug is very rich, actually just plain oily.

I already ordered the O-rings, donut gasket, and new springs for the header, cylinder/base gasket too, in preparation of fixing this today. I did forget to order a new head gasket though...hopefully I can re-use or find one in stock somewhere today.

QUESTION: With a clogged up KIPS, would that be forcing oil through the expansion chamber and the rest of the exhaust? (can I just say header instead? lol).

I have read this and will surely use it step by step. http://www.thumpertalk.com/topic/657765 ... to-kdx200/

If I'm having a big performance issue with the KIPS now, but it's running this good, I hate to see what it'll be like later today.

BTW, lst dirty bike. Used to flat track and hare scrambles on quads years ago. I've been roadracing sportbikes or about 20 yrs, so I've got some mechanical how to's.
motoracerx
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by motoracerx »

I probably should order the whole cometic gasket kit for the kips too....Damn , I wanna ride this sucker tomorrow. Maybe I'll clean the KIPS, and put it back to gether for a day and put the new gasket/O-rings in the kips next weekend.
motoracerx
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by motoracerx »

Here's a pic of my KIPS....definitely appears to be stuck in the open position.
Also has oil sitting in the channel.

nwrider45

Re: KIPS clogged up - runs fine?

Post by nwrider45 »

hmmm. I recently did the same check on my new to me 2004 KDX220. My KIPS is working as it should but still has oil present like yours.
Tedh98
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by Tedh98 »

nwrider45 wrote:but still has oil present like yours.
Probably just one of the seals leaking.
nwrider45

Post by nwrider45 »

Time to look at the parts fiche!
motoracerx
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by motoracerx »

x2
nwrider45

Post by nwrider45 »

Can the KIPS shaft seals be replaced without taking the cyl head off?
newbbewb
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by newbbewb »

yes, they can be replaced with the head in the bike.
93 kdx200-Highly modified
89 kx125/kdx200E engine
Buelldustin@gmail.com
nwrider45

Post by nwrider45 »

Thanks Newbbewb,

BTW -- I got the stock muffler installed and I really like more subdued sound --- along with the fact that I'll be legal to ride in NFS land.

John