Please help a KDX neewb out!

Discussion specific to the 1995 - 2006 KDX200 (H Series) and 1995 - 2005 KDX220R (A Series) models sold in the USA
somz02

Post by somz02 »

I just joined today..looks like a great site!! Just picked up a really clean 1997 KDX200 for my teenage son and I have a few general questions (I am 55yo and mechanically inclined. I have owned 4 strokes all my life and competed in FTR enduros. The only 2 stroke I currently own is my '74 RL250 vintage trials bike).

-Looking to tame the 'hit' as he is used to 4 strokes- I have ordered the Gnarly "woods" pipe and a 12t counter sprocket to help him lug it a little better (Good idea??)
-What pre-mix ratio is best for general trail riding, (ie. not constantly revving the piss-out-of-it).

Any help and advice is welcome....I know this is a great learning bike, with tons of potential, and will be a long time before he out grows it.
Bring em on guys...and thanks in advance!!
Last edited by somz02 on 07:58 pm Nov 11 2014, edited 1 time in total.
Sullyfam
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Please help a KDX neewb out!

Post by Sullyfam »

I bough my 15yr old son a 2005 KDX200. He came from a CRF150 (not the 150r) and have had no trouble with the hit. The hit was a major factor in my choosing the KDX over any other 2 stroke. KTM makes great trail oriented 2 strokes, but too pricey for what he/we really need to get out there and have fun. He is not a total beginner, but not fast either. Just a good solid C rider and I have found zero need de-tune the bike. The bike is completely stock except for the gnarly woods pipe, power core 2 silencer and air box removed. Jetted appropriately of course...

We run 32:1 which I believe is OEM recommended with no issues. Others run much less oil, but I have not seen a need to do so and there are many opinions on the subject.

Hope this helps and excellent choice of bike!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
somz02

Post by somz02 »

Sullyfam wrote:I bough my 15yr old son a 2005 KDX200. He came from a CRF150 (not the 150r) and have had no trouble with the hit. The hit was a major factor in my choosing the KDX over any other 2 stroke. KTM makes great trail oriented 2 strokes, but too pricey for what he/we really need to get out there and have fun. He is not a total beginner, but not fast either. Just a good solid C rider and I have found zero need de-tune the bike. The bike is completely stock except for the gnarly woods pipe, power core 2 silencer and air box removed. Jetted appropriately of course...

We run 32:1 which I believe is OEM recommended with no issues. Others run much less oil, but I have not seen a need to do so and there are many opinions on the subject.

Hope this helps and excellent choice of bike!

Thanks for that... my son will be 15 in 3 months and is 5' 7", so bike fits him well. Maybe I'm just being a little over protective. I ride a XR400 (440 kit) and I have to admit I was surprised at how hard the 200 hit (just don't want him to get the twist-wrist syndrone and end up off in the palmettos wrapped around a pine tree.lol.

As to the ratio..looking for opinions, so thanks. I run synthetic at 50:1 in my trials bike (mostly at low rpm obviously). I was thinking maybe 40:1.
Last edited by somz02 on 12:37 pm Nov 14 2014, edited 1 time in total.
Julien D
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Julien D »

If you're worried about it having too much power, I would leave the stock pipe and 13t sprocket on there. With the woods pipe and a 12t sprocket it will be much harder to keep the front end down. 40:1 will be perfectly fine, and it's a very convenient ratio to use.
Sullyfam
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Sullyfam »

My son is so 5'7". Weighs 165lbs. I also was surprised by the hit, but I find I get on the pipe a bit more than him so it really has not been an issue. He lugs the bike way more and it works for him. That said, nothin wrong with being cautious and I completely understand the concern. I had considered lowering, but he said it was fine.

6 Riders
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by 6 Riders »

I also have my 14 YO son on a KDX200, Woods pipe, Boyseen Reed cage, Stock gearing. I run my DX's at 40:1, for woods riding you can go leaner in the oil, but why? Give your son time to learn throttle control, it is the one thing that they miss when learning on 4Ts. Just wrap him up in his gear and let him learn!
newbbewb wrote:^what he said.
masterblaster wrote:Man 6 riders you rock.
*side note...I'm drunk, so try to read what I'm trying to say, instead of what I actually type
somz02

Post by somz02 »

Julien D wrote:If you're worried about it having too much power, I would leave the stock pipe and 13t sprocket on there. With the woods pipe and a 12t sprocket it will be much harder to keep the front end down. 40:1 will be perfectly fine, and it's a very convenient ratio to use.
Well the bike came with a dented up "fatty" (that's all it says) that was spray painted, LOL. So I figured a "woods" pipe and 12t would make it more "trials-like" for the technical stuff (and if it kills some of the top-end, so be it).
Thanks for all the other responses too!
Marky360mark

Post by Marky360mark »

I have a kdx 200 for my girlfriend to learn on I put a 12t on and now she don't stall the bike as much when taking off now the hit is not bad has slowed the bike and easy to ride and I can still have fun. The bike is stock but had suspension done heavier springs jetting sorted and run 40:1 with motorex
Dust & noise racing
Julien D
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Julien D »

Indeed, you'll have plenty of down low grunt. It will still have a bit of hit, so much as a kdx has. KIPS is great at smoothing out the power delivery though, as long as it's working correctly.
somz02

Post by somz02 »

Thanks for all the input! Still waiting on the pipe and 12t. He is getting the throttle/clutch control down better each time he rides it. The 4 strokes can be lugged so low w/no stalling he was spoiled. I am instilling in him the importance of keeping 2 fingers on the clutch. Other than that, his riding techniques are good.
I have not checked the jetting yet...any idea of good starting point with the gnarly woods? I changed the gear oil, spark plug (looked really fat), and a new air filter. The air box is stock w/snorkel.
newbbewb
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by newbbewb »

somz02 wrote:The 4 strokes can be lugged so low w/no stalling he was spoiled.
:shock: What 4 stroke do you speak of?
93 kdx200-Highly modified
89 kx125/kdx200E engine
Buelldustin@gmail.com
somz02

Post by somz02 »

newbbewb wrote:
somz02 wrote:The 4 strokes can be lugged so low w/no stalling he was spoiled.
:shock: What 4 stroke do you speak of?
Geared XR100
somz02

Post by somz02 »

Thanks guys...figured it out.
3j3j3j

Post by 3j3j3j »

Just an fyi I came from a pig of an xr200 and my buddie cane from a crf100 right to the kdx. Neither of us had an issue with the hit. Itll be weird at first for him but he will get used to it[SMILING FACE WITH SMILING EYES]
somz02

Post by somz02 »

3j3j3j wrote:Just an fyi I came from a pig of an xr200 and my buddie cane from a crf100 right to the kdx. Neither of us had an issue with the hit. Itll be weird at first for him but he will get used to it[SMILING FACE WITH SMILING EYES]
Thanks...he already is.
I'm liking the light weight and easy starting (compared to my XR440) so much that I am considering finding one for myself :hmm:
Sullyfam
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Sullyfam »

I had the same thoughts (buying one for myself after getting on for my son)! I didn't get the KDX, but instead went with a fully woods converted YZ250. Love the 2-stroke compared to my RMZ450. Still have the RMZ450 for sale if anyone is interested [emoji51].