chain and or sprocket question

Discussion specific to the 1995 - 2006 KDX200 (H Series) and 1995 - 2005 KDX220R (A Series) models sold in the USA
rabbitrex44

chain and or sprocket question

Post by rabbitrex44 »

Hi, I got a newb question. I have a 96 kdx200 chain is well worn.

I got this bike from my dad 2 years ago. I've put some miles on her in that time. Dad said chain and sprockets were replaced when last got a chain. He does new sprockets every other chain.

One of my riding buddies said to always do sprockets with chain. Budget is a concern for me.

question is: what is the best way to go? What is the best chain and or sprockets to get on a budget.
rabbitrex44

Re: chain and or sprocket question

Post by rabbitrex44 »

I ride mostly in desert conditions. Rocks sand and dust everywhere. O - ring or non.
bufftester
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by bufftester »

Budget go non O-ring chain and steel sprockets, will run you under $100 (example: http://www.motosport.com/dirtbike/Sunst ... cket-Combo)

For a little more you could go O-ring chain which involves less maintenance. If you aren't doing a lot of riding an O-ring chain and steel sprockets could last a couple seasons. I race and ride close to every other weekend and run non O-ring chain and steel sprockets and have to replace them every season. Don't let the hype drive you away from standard chains, with proper maintenance (not hard) they are a good option. You should always replace chain and sprockets together, although my dad also lives by new sprocket every other chain (old school lol)
Bitteeinit

Post by Bitteeinit »

I always change a whole set, but usually it's because my sprockets are worn. I'm pretty sure you can change only the chain if your sprockets are still good. Check the teeth on your rear sprocket. If they're "pointy/sharp" or look a bit like waves (uneven wear), then they need to be changed. If they're still like stock, then you can keep them for a while.
IDRIDR
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by IDRIDR »

Worn sprockets will wear a new chain quickly. Change them together. I think the old school thoughts may come from older chains wearing more quickly than sprockets. Just a guess.
2003 KDX 220. RB Carb & Head Mods. Desert pipe. She's a runner!
2006 KLX 250 w/351 big bore. A well-sorted dual sporter.
2006 KLR 650. Mostly stock.
2014 Suzuki DL1000.
KarlP
Supporting Member III
Supporting Member III

Post by KarlP »

Chain and sprockets change together.
I like an o-ring chain and good sprockets. I splurged once and bought some really expensive gold colored chain. It did not last any longer than the cheaper one it replaced.
I like an o-ring because I do zero maintenance and run it pretty loose. It'll last 18 months to two years.
'08 KTM200xc
'99 CR/KDX Hybrid with that RB stuff done to it
KX100 for the boy
6 Riders
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by 6 Riders »

On a budget, but need a decent set up..try this http://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/p/125 ... hain?v=413, it is budget minded, so might not last as long as other chains. I've used EK X-ring chains and steel sprockets AND Regina/MSR O-Ring chains w/steel sprockets....the Regina chain has lasted for 4 YEARS & still using it. The chain is still solid and almost no stretching at all. The RK has been solid for the last year w/o problems.
newbbewb wrote:^what he said.
masterblaster wrote:Man 6 riders you rock.
*side note...I'm drunk, so try to read what I'm trying to say, instead of what I actually type
ohgood
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by ohgood »

6 Riders wrote:On a budget, but need a decent set up..try this http://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/p/125 ... hain?v=413, it is budget minded, so might not last as long as other chains. I've used EK X-ring chains and steel sprockets AND Regina/MSR O-Ring chains w/steel sprockets....the Regina chain has lasted for 4 YEARS & still using it. The chain is still solid and almost no stretching at all. The RK has been solid for the last year w/o problems.

i just bought this and installed it. the master link fell apart during install, so I used a spare. the spare was not wide enough, so I got a spare spare , and it worked. no idea who actually makes chains that are good anymore.

had a 129$ rk break just past the master, on a drz. oh well
rabbitrex44

Post by rabbitrex44 »

Nice I like the primary drive option. Not sure that I need an o ring but it's cheap enough. My chain (non oring) was worn when I got the bike and have ran probably 2-300 miles over the 2 years.

Poor kdx needs some love and $ put into her.

Thanks a ton for the help guys
JasonK94Z

Post by JasonK94Z »

6 Riders wrote:On a budget, but need a decent set up..try this http://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/p/125 ... hain?v=413, it is budget minded, so might not last as long as other chains. I've used EK X-ring chains and steel sprockets AND Regina/MSR O-Ring chains w/steel sprockets....the Regina chain has lasted for 4 YEARS & still using it. The chain is still solid and almost no stretching at all. The RK has been solid for the last year w/o problems.

Absolutely the best value and quality for a chain and sprocket set out there! There is talk on another board about the Primary Drive chain being made my DID.

I have run this setup on a KLR for about 5000 miles now and only had to adjust the chain one time. I am about to order a set for my KDX 220.
2002 KDX 220R
2003 KLR 650
Sullyfam
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Sullyfam »

What about your current setup are you not liking? Typically in tighter trails more acceleration is desired, but it really boils down to rider preference which is why a little more detail is needed. Here is a decent article on the subject that will help as well.

http://www.motosport.com/blog/the-ultim ... ring-guide

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
rabbitrex44

Post by rabbitrex44 »

Current setup is fine. I usually ride second and third gear. 4th on flat out stuff.

Chain is worn out. I'm not an expert on Mc chains but everyone who has checked it out said it's way worn.
Sullyfam
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Sullyfam »

Generally if you pull the chain away from the back of the rear sprocket and see more than 1/2 of a sprocket tooth, the chain needs to be replaced. In any event, if you are changing sprockets you should also change he chain, otherwise your worn chain will wear your new sprockets out faster.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk