Replacing radiator - experiences please

Discussion specific to the 1995 - 2006 KDX200 (H Series) and 1995 - 2005 KDX220R (A Series) models sold in the USA
Sladep

Replacing radiator - experiences please

Post by Sladep »

Hi,
My 2004 KDX 220R has a small leak in the left radiator, somewhere around the bottom tank. I haven't checked it carefully to see exactly where it is. I thought about attempting a substance like Bars Leak, but am leery of it for several reasons. I run Evans Coolant, as it was the last resort for getting overheating under control, after doing all the proper steps to improve cooling performance (flushing, new coolant, higher pressure cap, etc.). We ride from 6,000' to 12,000'+ altitude, really hard on very steep, slow and demanding trails (Rico, Alpine, etc.), which makes it very hard to get rid of heat. Installing Evans finally got the overheating controlled, along with a higher pressure cap, and a few other tweaks. This allows me to push my friends really hard on their modern KTM 450's, 525's, YZ250's, etc. with my KDX.

I am contemplated either buying some SuperCool radiators from Myler's, or to send them my leaker and let them repair it. One other option is the Superadiator sold on Ebay. Any personal experiences from members here would be welcome, particularly regarding the Superadiator from Ebay. They are about 1/3 the price of the SuperCools from Mylers. My life experience tells me don't go there, but I would like to hear from anyone who has PERSONAL EXPERIENCE with them. Many thanks, KDX bruthas.
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Re: Replacing radiator - experiences please

Post by KDXGarage »

You did not mention buying a used radiator off eBay. Is that not an option for you?
Thank you for participating on kdxrider.net. :bravo:
To post pictures from a device: viewtopic.php?f=88&t=24128
KarlP
Supporting Member III
Supporting Member III

Re: Replacing radiator - experiences please

Post by KarlP »

I've used the dry aluminum looking powder designed for fixing leaks. I think I used 1/2 a teaspoon and it fixed it for several years. It just depends where and how big the leak is. I also don't have any idea if it reduced the effectiveness of the radiator.
I've also succesfully used JB weld.

I don't have any experience with non-OEM radiators
'08 KTM200xc
'99 CR/KDX Hybrid with that RB stuff done to it
KX100 for the boy