Is my bike growing accustom to new elements?

Discussion specific to the 1995 - 2006 KDX200 (H Series) and 1995 - 2005 KDX220R (A Series) models sold in the USA
KDX_Johnny

Post by KDX_Johnny »

Well guys, the pain in the butt (me) has another question. As you may know i have been dealing with the jetting on my 2006 kdx200. i currently have it set at
42 PJ
152 MJ
1174 needle in the second clip
air screw at 1 3/8

is my bike getting used to running lean and its telling me to go leaner?

well the bike was running phenomenal yesterday and this morning...

I just went to ride it and... bu-WAAAA... the bike is bogging at the crack of the throttle down low and the whole powerband is there! but its not as peppy as it was. i guess you could call it mushy? why? im thinking a may have to downsize to a 40PJ? but im scared to run lean... Especially with my FMF on the way.

Oh and adjusting the AS only cuts down on the bog, but it still remains there.

Thanks guys.
Just a square trying to ram myself into that circular hole...
kx200
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by kx200 »

if it bogging it sounds to lean already. try a 45 or a 48 PJ. If it is rich it will make a blubbering sound sound.
KDX_Johnny

Re: Is my bike growing accustom to new elements?

Post by KDX_Johnny »

My plug is that perfect mocha color though... I just don't get it.
newbbewb
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by newbbewb »

adjusting the air screw in or out? Have you followed the jetting guide?
93 kdx200-Highly modified
89 kx125/kdx200E engine
Buelldustin@gmail.com
Flanker

Post by Flanker »

Its definitely lean mabey its a little colder since last time you rode. Air screw should fix the bog just keep turning it in, my bike quits boging when the the screw is 1 and 1/4 turns out but I have a 45 pilot jet. Bog could also be caused by the needle you could try lowering the clip, (its most likely the air screw so try that first) just remember to do one thing at a time. Best way to find out if you have the correct pilot jet is to tune the air screw for highest idle then see how many turns out it is less than 1 get a bigger jet more than 2.5 get a smaller jet.
Tedh98
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by Tedh98 »

KDX_Johnny - to answer your question, your bike isn't getting accustomed to the leaner jetting and wanting to go leaner.

If you followed the jetting guide, your pilot should be spot on. No need to drop a size on a whim. Temperature changes can cause you to need to make small adjustments in your AS, like from cooler temps in the morning to hotter temps later in the day, to maintain optimal performance.

It would have to take a large weather change from the morning to later the same day to throw off your jetting that much. I make summer (90+ temp and high humidity) to winter (<50 temps and low humidity) jetting changes, but that is it.

If your bike is running that different from morning to later the same day, I would expect something else to be the cause. If your bike is acting lean, maybe you didn't tighten down or completely seal the boots on the carb during your last adjustment? Something might have come loose during riding that is now causing an air leak.
KDX_Johnny

Post by KDX_Johnny »

I will check all of those ossibilities thanks guys. I may also just keep it this way until I get the pipe. That way I can jet it correctly one final time.
newbbewb
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by newbbewb »

if you want to correct it one final time, send the carb to RB. The factory PWK is a great carb, but can be a pain to keep perfectly tuned. you can ride worry free with RB.
93 kdx200-Highly modified
89 kx125/kdx200E engine
Buelldustin@gmail.com
Tedh98
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by Tedh98 »

A properly jetted stock carb shouldnt need pilot, needle or main jet changes from morning to afternoon. AS adjustements should be all that is needed.

And he is making it sound like it is a lean bog. Typically you would be leaner in the morning and then get richer as the day heats up.
KDX_Johnny

Post by KDX_Johnny »

So it's been around 85-90 degrees here lately.... And I just realized... That's when I tuned my carb.... So I have to make MAJOR adjustments to the AS once it falls to about 75 and lower. The bike needs more fuel in the cold is what you're saying. So do I turn the AS in or out? And if that doesn't fix it... I guess I'll move up to a 45? :hmm:
Tedh98
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by Tedh98 »

I have never had to make a brass change for a 10-15 degree temperature change. I just dont think that is normal. Otherwise everyone would be stopping at lunch and pulling their carbs to change jets.

You said it was running great in the AM and then poorly later in the day. Was it 85-90 in the AM and then did it cool down to 75 when you went back out riding?

Turning in (clockwise) the AS is richer. That is why the idle increases when you lean it out when you are testing the pilot jet.

I am stil stuck on it being strange that the performance of your bike degraded so much over the course of the day. It doesnt take much to clog your pilot circuit. In addition for checking for an air leak, I would clean out the carb. Especially the pilot jet. Pull that and run a thin wire through it.
KDX_Johnny

Post by KDX_Johnny »

Well I kinda think the carb has to be clean... I got it brand new and the bike has never sat for more than 2-3 weeks without a good run. Idk I'll play with the AS more . But let's say it's happy running at 1/2 turn on the AS. Does that mean I need to go richer on the PJ? Or just leave it because it's running well.
Tedh98
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by Tedh98 »

KDX_Johnny wrote:But let's say it's happy running at 1/2 turn on the AS. Does that mean I need to go richer on the PJ? Or just leave it because it's running well.
I thought you were following the jetting guide?

What happened to the AS at 1 3/8?
KDX_Johnny

Post by KDX_Johnny »

I was. Haha and I wound up running a 42pj and a 155mj. Then I decided my mid range pull wasn't enough. So I raised my needle clip to the second spot. Then I got my mid range pull. Then I decided I want more top end pull. So I dropped my MJ to a 152 and then I got the top end pull. It was running. Perfect! But then I went to ride it later in the evening around dusk. And she was bogging at the crack of the throttle. So now. I'm thinking about redoing the process with the current settings I have to see if I should change anything. I'll wait until a day where it's about 75 degrees to do it haha and with the FMF on.
KDX_Johnny

Post by KDX_Johnny »

Oh and when I changed the plug the other day it was that perfect mocha color. Which makes me think I have the perfect fuel ratio. But it just has to be perfected.
Tedh98
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by Tedh98 »

If you ride in temps where it is 85-90, I am not sure that I am following your plan of waiting for a 75 degree day.

And if you have had the bike for 8 years and havent cleaned the carb, you should.

Is your air filter clean, reeds in good shape, compression good? You will be chasing your tail if things are dirty, broken or worn out.
Last edited by Tedh98 on 01:14 pm Sep 07 2014, edited 1 time in total.
KDX_Johnny

Post by KDX_Johnny »

Nope the bike was purchased BRAND NEW 6 months ago believe it or not. It sat in a storage unit behind a Kawi dealership forever. And I'm waiting until it's cooler out because fall is coming around and it will be cooler soon. The bike has perfect compression, engine probably has 80-90 hours on it. And I just put brand new Boyesen 607s in the cage. Everything checks out. Thanks for all your help man. I really really appreciate it. So I'll just fiddle with this guy until I get it right. I'll let you guys know if something horrible or really good happens haha
Tedh98
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by Tedh98 »

KDX_Johnny wrote:The bike has perfect compression, engine probably has 80-90 hours on it.
What was the psi reading? 80-90 hours on the piston and rings that are in there now?
KDX_Johnny

Post by KDX_Johnny »

160-165psi and yessir. People are telling me I can get up to 300 out of the stock piston and rings so I'm not worried about them. AND!!! I just adjusted my air screw and it's snappier than ever again! I'm at one and 1/8 turn out. It's a bit smokey but it's running great! I'll try 1.5 later and see if it's as good
Tedh98
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by Tedh98 »

KDX_Johnny wrote:People are telling me I can get up to 300 out of the stock piston and rings so I'm not worried about them.
You should stay away from these people.

Maybe rings and pistons are being confused for cranks???