Is my bike growing accustom to new elements?

Discussion specific to the 1995 - 2006 KDX200 (H Series) and 1995 - 2005 KDX220R (A Series) models sold in the USA
KDX_Johnny

Re: Is my bike growing accustom to new elements?

Post by KDX_Johnny »

Damn.... I mean I know 2 stroke engines pretty well because I used to race them. I never had to do work on them though considering I was lucky enough to have a small sponsorship team to do that for me. I thought 300 hours sounded about 200hours over due... But I was told on 3 different accounts that the KDX would last 250-300 hrs... Maybe they were thinking of the bottom end. Should I be worried and am I due for a top end within the next 20 hours?
Just a square trying to ram myself into that circular hole...
adam728
Supporting Member

Is my bike growing accustom to new elements?

Post by adam728 »

You'll get a huge range of opinion on how many hours to go on a piston/rings for any bike. Riding conditions, style, and the bike's tune has a lot to do with it as well. The KDX has a pretty low specific output, as in - it's 200cc making less than 30 hp stock. Compare that to 250 mx bikes that push 46-50 hp, or worse, 125's, 85's, super mini's etc.

Me personally? I'd do 100 hour replacements, but that's just me. If you polled 100 users you'll probably get answers from 50 hours to never.
ohgood
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by ohgood »

i got a really good opinion from a rider with several kdx's under his belt saturday..

"i just ride them until there is an issue, and dont worry at all."
Julien D
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Julien D »

ohgood wrote:i got a really good opinion from a rider with several kdx's under his belt saturday..

"i just ride them until there is an issue, and dont worry at all."

This ^

If you worry about it, grab a compression tester and check the compression every now and again. When it starts becoming noticeably lower, it's time to pull down and check the top end. It's not an MX bike, and doesn't go through top ends like one.
KDX_Johnny

Post by KDX_Johnny »

Haha sounds good to me. I'll probably wind up taking the top end apart around 130psi as that's what we used to do on my bikes. Just to avoid any damage.
Just a square trying to ram myself into that circular hole...