Cleaning my KIPs

Discussion specific to the 1995 - 2006 KDX200 (H Series) and 1995 - 2005 KDX220R (A Series) models sold in the USA
robkdx

Cleaning my KIPs

Post by robkdx »

On checking the function of my KIPs it looks like I have a splodge issue. Its opening but taking ages to close. Squirted some spray lube around.

I guess its a pull the top of the motor off to clean it out?
robkdx

Cleaning my KIPs

Post by robkdx »

I do wonder if I can do this with just taking the head off? My top end is fine. Guess I plunk around to much in a high gear in the woods. Looks like mine is not closing.
scheckaet
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Cleaning my KIPs

Post by scheckaet »

much easier to take the jug out and clean all of it. put back together and JET your bike properly using the jetting how to. some spoo is ok and normal, a lot is sign of bad jetting.
3j3j3j

Re: Cleaning my KIPs

Post by 3j3j3j »

I neee to clean mine too. Which gaskets can be reused? Obviously none that are damaged. My top end was done this winter so they are all fairly new. How much harder is removing the whole jug than just the head?
robkdx

Cleaning my KIPs

Post by robkdx »

scheckaet wrote:much easier to take the jug out and clean all of it. put back together and JET your bike properly using the jetting how to. some spoo is ok and normal, a lot is sign of bad jetting.
I suspect this has been like this since i bought the bike. It would explain a few things. Yes I have been through the jetting and dropped main and idle jet sizes. Runs much better. I will try to do it with just the head off and see how it goes.
3j3j3j

Post by 3j3j3j »

Just take the hole thing off. Its four more bolts. Get the cometic gasket kit for 30 bucks and youll have everything even new exhuast orings and every kips gasket
3j3j3j

Post by 3j3j3j »

robkdx

Post by robkdx »

3j3j3j wrote:Just take the hole thing off. Its four more bolts. Get the cometic gasket kit for 30 bucks and youll have everything even new exhuast orings and every kips gasket
I took the Kips cover off the LH side along with the plug from that side. Quick squirt of carb cleaner and a lot of splodge came out.

Kips now working as it should. Snaps shut. :supz:
3j3j3j

Post by 3j3j3j »

Well that was easy!