chain size help ?

Discussion specific to the 1995 - 2006 KDX200 (H Series) and 1995 - 2005 KDX220R (A Series) models sold in the USA
gabegambale
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

chain size help ?

Post by gabegambale »

hey need help with figuring out what size chain to get bought a bike from some guy as a project , it has a 13 tooth front sprocket and a 49 tooth rear sprocket if anyone can tell me how many links im going to need on the chain would be a big help
Julien D
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Re: chain size help ?

Post by Julien D »

Probably a 110.
Gotanubike
Supporting Member III
Supporting Member III

chain size help ?

Post by Gotanubike »

110 might not be enough with 2 extra teeth on the rear sprocket. 13/47 sprockets with a brand new chain started for me on the 1 and 3/4 mark on the slack adjusters. I would start at 112 and you can always cut off a link or two
1990 KDX200
Bike Profile -> http://www.kdxrider.net/forums/viewtopi ... 61#p136315
Suspension Overhaul(Shock+89-92 conventional forks) -> http://www.kdxrider.net/forums/viewtopi ... 15&t=15255
96'-98' RM125 Showa 49mm fork swap -> http://www.kdxrider.net/forums/viewtopi ... 04&t=16994
KDXrider world map! -> https://www.zeemaps.com/map?group=186158
Julien D
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Julien D »

110 will work with 13/50 combo, so it should certainly be long enough for 13/49. Never hurts to buy longer and cut it down, though.
bufftester
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by bufftester »

You will find that nearly all 520 dirt bike chains come in 120 link, so you are going to need a chain breaker either way.
Julien D
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Julien D »

Huh? 520/110 is very easy to find.
bufftester
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by bufftester »

Every chain I have bought at either the local bike shop or online (Renthal, DID, Sunstar, Pro Taper, X-ring, O-ring, standard) have come as 120 link chains. It's a standard size for chains and you cut them down to fit your application (which for KDX is 110 links at 13/47 gearing)
gabegambale
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by gabegambale »

I bought the bike with a sunpro 13t front sprocket and renthal 49t rear sprocket it don't have a chain that's whay im asking whats the easiest route to go next question is .......is it worth it to buy a o-ring chain if im mainly going to be trail riding I would think the rubber would wear rather quickly
bufftester
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by bufftester »

An O-ring chain is easier to maintain and will easily give you a season or two of riding (more if you're a casual rider). I run regular non-O/X ring chains these days, but am racing and replacing chains/sprockets twice a season. The rubber O-rings keep the lubrication in the link pins so you don't have to lube them manually, and the chain wears more slowly. As far as maintenance goes for an O-ring, just wipe it down with a rag & soapy water, rinse it off with a light spray of water, and when it dries, lube it with o-ring safe chain lube. Keep it adjusted and lubed regularly to prevent corrosion & keep the o-rings moist. For non O-rings you can soak the chain in solvent (kerosene,etc) then use a wire brush to clean, and lube afterwards.
Julien D
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Julien D »

^ That about covers the o-ring chain. I always run standard chains, but the o/x ring chains certainly have their benefits, primarily longevity.

As for ordering chains by link count, I've always seen them listed like this at pretty much any online parts shop:

http://www.bikebandit.com/aftermarket-p ... ycle-chain

Choose the chain you want, select the amount of links you need, and purchase. Of course, ordering a 120 and cutting it down to a 110 would only cost you $4 extra bucks, but why throw away $4 when you don't have to? :hmm:
gabegambale
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by gabegambale »

thanx info more then helps im still on the fence about what chain but I still got a bunch of parts to order before I consider what chain yet