1997 kdx200 need parts help

Discussion specific to the 1995 - 2006 KDX200 (H Series) and 1995 - 2005 KDX220R (A Series) models sold in the USA
gabegambale
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

1997 kdx200 need parts help

Post by gabegambale »

hey new to kdx rider so any help you guys can give me would be awesome,just bought a 97 kdx200 from a junk yard for $200.00 .my intentions are to rebuild and complete overhaul mainly just engine overhaul for now really don't care what the plastics look like .so I bought the bike here is what I know about what it needs

1.front axel clamp on right fork, rear axel bolt -some asshole at the junk yard took the rear axel off it
2.chain
3.gear shift lever-was not broken off someone unbolted it
4.clutch perch, have lever need the clamp for it
5.header pipe
6.kickstart lever-again not broken off it was unbolted
7.foot pegs and pins not broken either
8.clutch cover has a small chip in it ,can get that welded
9.rear fender bracket to bolt fender to the welds snapped so more welding
10.oil drain bolt ,is the oil drain hole in the bottom of the block suppose to have a small hole like 5 threads up from the bottom of the threads were you screw the plug in ????? def gona need to know that one

and so far that's what I know it needs ,when I tried to take a look to see if there was any rust or corrosion in cylinder I noticed the piston was halfway up the cylinder it looked but when I touched it it had a lil dirt on it .should I overhaul the engine at that point??before I go into anything else ?? other then that the bike has potential .
what the bike has in parts
1.answer handlebars
2.renthal rear sprocket
3.sunpro front sprocket 13t
4.ceet graphics kit
5.headlight delete
6.mx fender
7.boyesen rad valve
8.brand new Dunlop tires front n back

so I know this a lot to read so thanx for actually reading it but any help someone can give me would be great im going to try n post pics of the bike and the long rebuild process im bout to go through .praying to the kdx god I can ride by fall time.
gsa102
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Re: 1997 kdx200 need parts help

Post by gsa102 »

Boy, that is the hard way to get a bike. Pics would help alot. The oil drain bolt should be the only one in going up into the bottom of the engine. You should be able to get a lot of these parts on here for a decent price.

If the bike was running, I would not be in a hurry to overhaul it. But a junkyard can be a tough environment. It wouldn't hurt to at least take the time to clean the jug out and get a good look at the top end at least. Make sure everything turns freely and it shifts through all the gears.
This is my rifle, this is my gun, the YZ to go fast, the KDX is for fun!

96 KDX 200, 09 YZ 250
gsa102
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by gsa102 »

Also - the clutch cover is probably magnesuim. Can't weld it, and any filings would be flammable (like if you drilled it.) You could get an epoxy and patch it with that.
This is my rifle, this is my gun, the YZ to go fast, the KDX is for fun!

96 KDX 200, 09 YZ 250
gabegambale
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by gabegambale »

gsa102 -thanx for the in put just ordered boyessen racing clutch cover figures it would look better and it comes with the gasket for it just noticed that the clutch casing wich detaches from half the engine has red rtv sealent as well as the water pump so who ever had the bike before me must have done the clutch in it recently cause the rtv isn't at all that old looking can only tell by red rtv gushing out of it
bufftester
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by bufftester »

which means they didn't take the time or money to buy a new gasket, kind of a warning flag to me. You may be better off finding a KX125 roller and building a hybrid right off the bat. A lot of the little stuff is going to add up pretty quickly (rear axle, snail adjusters, spacers, front axle clamps, controls, misc hardware). Certainly a tough way to get a bike, and in the end likely you'll find it's probably not any cheaper that route either. Then again, lots of us here have bits and parts strewn about the shops that may help.
gabegambale
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by gabegambale »

Thanx bufftester but im gona try n keep a kdx a kdx , miet order the complete rebuild kit hone the cylinder myself n cross my fingers , ill post up pictures of progress as soon as i can
ICRage42
Supporting Member

Post by ICRage42 »

yea the rtv is a good sign that someone ill experienced did it or someone took it apart and found out it wasn't worth sinking the money into it and just used it to seal the bike back up.

You have a lot wrong with the bike now. I would really tear it down and see what all you need parts wise really. You could need a new clutch hub and basket, water pump. Right there is a couple hundred bucks.

As far as dirt on top of piston. That really doesn't sound good but you could just mean carbon build up. Pics. As for honing the head you cant do that either it has a plating on it and you just clean it up with a scotch brite pad etc. Much write ups on here about it.

You might want to look for another donor bike as well.

As far as the right clamp for front I think I have one around in the garage from other forks. Pay the shipping and its yours if its still there. I probably don't have the nuts though.
If you cant fix it with a hammer, you have an electrical problem.
gabegambale
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by gabegambale »

Thanx for the input guys icrage42 ill post my number we can do buisness . anyway checked some things off on my to do list for the bike , found out carb inside looks brand new , mirror shine . No gunk in bowl thank god. Also just a bit of carbon build up buddy of mine said top of piston clean and i should be ready to swap out clutch gasket in a couple weeks rebuilding on a budget so the wife doesnt blow a gasket lol. Rad valves look clean too , still got alot of parts n work ahead of me n id post pics up but no room to donate
newbbewb
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by newbbewb »

the oil drain hole does have a hole up in the threads. don't worry about that, normal.

If I see stars by your name, used but good condition parts that I don't need start appearing around my garage :)
93 kdx200-Highly modified
89 kx125/kdx200E engine
Buelldustin@gmail.com
gabegambale
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by gabegambale »

Friday ill donate 100 just so im ahead of you buddy ;) :supz:
gabegambale
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by gabegambale »

quik update thanx to icrage42 and ebay I got some parts on the bike over the past week

(updated) bike parts needed:
1.clutch perch
2.chain
3.header pipe
4.kicksart lever
5.rear brake line
6.front axel clamp nuts-these are cheap enough to buy from Kawasaki

so far ppl have been a big help with the junkyard bike restoration thanx to all for helping me out