Just Bought two 1999 KDX200's Any Tips Getting Started?

Discussion specific to the 1995 - 2006 KDX200 (H Series) and 1995 - 2005 KDX220R (A Series) models sold in the USA
kedmunds

Post by kedmunds »

Hello Guys,

I am new to this site and excited that my Son and I can spend some time riding together on our 1999 KDX200's. I was interested if any of you could list some suggestions of what we should do to these bikes in order to really enjoy them. The only thing that I have done, so far, is to order some of the Kouba Links for both of us. We are both "Height Impaired", so dropping the bike an 1.5" or so will make a big difference.

Any other suggestions on basic Tips and Tricks for these KDX200's would be Greatly Appreciated. Thank You All...
diymirage
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Re: Just Bought two 1999 KDX200's Any Tips Getting Started?

Post by diymirage »

pretty much a bullet proof bike

just look after the basic, oil, airfliter, chain and sprockets

the shock linkage bearings are often neglected but you will address those when installing the links, I am sure

im sure you will enjoy riding bikes with your son a little more then sitting in the bleachers at a soccer game :grin:
newbbewb wrote:DIYmirage has it right.

-1996 KDX 200 woods weapon (converted to 99 green body)
-1996 KDX 200 plated street toy (barney edition)
-2003 Yamaha TTR125-L (wifeys bike)
-1997 KDX 220 project bike
ICRage42
Supporting Member

Post by ICRage42 »

get some hand guards some bark busters. Get some decent gear. Get a manual. The lowering links you can make. You really just need a bag of chips and some soda and about 15 hours of solid searching/reading here and you know almost everything you need to know. Congrats they are a fun bike. I feel a competition on whos will look better and whos faster :lol: Enjoy.
If you cant fix it with a hammer, you have an electrical problem.
bufftester
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Re: Just Bought two 1999 KDX200's Any Tips Getting Started?

Post by bufftester »

read through the Newb thread HERE, then get out and ride!

When you install the Kouba links inspect all your linkage and swingarm bearings, as mentioned its a neglected area of most bikes. Also, when you lower the rear you will need to drop the front triple clamps down on the front fork legs to keep your geometry correct. Search around, you'll find answers to questions you didn't even know you had yet.
JakeKDX200

Post by JakeKDX200 »

ICRage42 wrote:You really just need a bag of chips and some soda and about 15 hours of solid searching/reading here and you know almost everything you need to know.
15 Hours and only 1 bag of chips? no wonder I'm fat... :pop: